Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 06:56 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Finding some job openings that I know I'm completely qualified for, BUT two years ago, opened a small home business that came from a hobby/interest that I had......photography. Was not making much money from the start, but wife's income allowed me to do this! This photography business is pretty dead now, so I'm now am looking for a position in my old/usual career. Will employers look at all of my experience or "File 13" my resume because of no recent experience? I've heard some folks state "Depending on the situation, people may have to change their careers-do something else", but will that hurt them if they want to go back to their old career?
I know that different employers "think" differently when looking at resumes.
Your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I've switched careers a few times, but have always found a common thread between them that has helped to ease the transition in a prospective employers mind.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,009 times
IMO, 2 years is not that long of a period, but it would depend on what your original field was? Industries like Finance or IT/Technology might have plenty of changes in the past 2 years that you might be out of the loop on. So you would need to bring yourself up to speed of any new changes that might affect your ability to do the job.

Unfortunately, there is no "yes or no" answer to your question. Some employers will handle it differently than others. If you can prove that your still in the know of what is going on the industry and have no lost your relevant experience, you should be ok. But with that being said, you will also be competing against others who might still be active and fresh in the same field.

Good luck-

EDIT: Btw, I'm considering starting a photography business right now, but on the side (part-time). It's difficult today because anyone with a camera thinks they are a professional, but doesn't really understand the art behind it. I have seen pictures that had many mistakes, but to a non photographer, they were beautiful. Sorry to hear your business didn't work out - but I hope you keep it as a hobby though!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:16 AM

I have a photography business on the side, but I specialize in a very specific type of photography. I probably could make a living at it if I wanted to, but it would require too many nights and weekends. I've been doing it for years and have a strong clent base that is primarily businesses.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:13 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have a photography business on the side, but I specialize in a very specific type of photography. I probably could make a living at it if I wanted to, but it would require too many nights and weekends. I've been doing it for years and have a strong clent base that is primarily businesses.
Thanks for patting yourself on the back, but this helps the OP how?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 AM

It was in reference to your comment about considering starting a photography business. Chill.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:54 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Just can't do a Thread on CD without an arguement almost starting..............
Geshhhhhhh!
Anyway, the reason why wife/I decided to open this small business was due to very few jobs available in Purchasing -Inventory Management after we moved to North Carolina. Shoot, we bought a Small Business License and had two Business credit cards (still have the credit cards). Unfortunately, it takes money (sometimes a lot & too much) to make money! We found out that we just didn't have that kind of money.
As far as the knowledge of procedures in Purchasing/Inventory Management, it basically does not change. Only problem is the software that companies use can be different and a lot of companies want potential employee to know the software they use!
Gee, if it wouldn't have been for the winters, my two surgeries and the fear of falling in snow/ice again..........we would still be living there and I'd still be working!! Oh well, glad we don't have to drive in "white outs" anymore, use a snowshovel/snowblower or scrap ice, but did put me out of work and the photography business just won't make enough money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search