Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 AM

496 posts, read 941,329 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Just wondering what you think of this... was reading sensativ's 25 ******* that will not jingle your job journey and it made me think...

I posted my resume on my website this week and I have sent the link, instead of an attachment, to some prospective employers. The *problem* with this, while it illustrates my proactive use of the web or whatever, is that the resume is not customized for them. It's pretty generic in terms of the field I'm in, but perhaps I should just leave it out there with some keywords so if someone is looking for a so and so, they can find it.

What think ye'all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
What i think is if you are a good writer, then write some articles on subjects on which you are an expert.

Add it to your webpage. Invite people to link to your article, obeying copy right laws. Add video if it would be "appropriate", if your look would enhance your expert skills.

I like this woman's webpage! ( I found her while i was researching a question, which is what we all do! And so, we will either end up on your page or city data or another persons page.)

http://www.eve-lynne.com/default.htm

hope this helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Hello!

Just wondering what you think of this... was reading sensativ's 25 ******* that will not jingle your job journey and it made me think...

I posted my resume on my website this week and I have sent the link, instead of an attachment, to some prospective employers. The *problem* with this, while it illustrates my proactive use of the web or whatever, is that the resume is not customized for them. It's pretty generic in terms of the field I'm in, but perhaps I should just leave it out there with some keywords so if someone is looking for a so and so, they can find it.

What think ye'all?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM

157 posts, read 790,934 times
What type of work do you do? If it is tech related, this might be a good idea. If it is not tech related, most recruiters probably wont take the time to look at your website. Additionally, you will need to include a downloadable word file so it can be accessed and forwarded to hiring managers. Again, extra work for a recruiter, and when they are flooded with a few hundred (or more resumes) they probably won't want to do the extra work.

I agree that it is important to customize your resume for the recipient. Generally, your resume should be 85-90% consistent, and 10-15% flexible to highlight things that are pertinent to the role you are looking for. If you are having to customize your resume more than that, you are probably looking at too broad a range of opportunities, particularly in today's market.

Here's a thought. instead of posting your resume online, why not post specific achievements, or reference information. If you are going to do it, do it right. Showcase your technical ability and your background with highlights or achievements.

Oh by the way, I am a Recruiting Manager at a F500 company...

Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 AM

gea, you are so reliable for input. Thank you! Here's the thing about my writing - I could include some press releases, but a lot of the best writing I've done is, um, quite feminist in nature and could potentially offend the more patriarchal types. That's cool and all... but my source of work right now is my little ol' business and I don't want to alienate clients or prospective employers... hmmm. And then the other stuff is creative writing. And then the press releases are the opposite!

black_fx - I am in a technical field and the online resume is more of an *expanded* version of my resume, in that it includes a couple of testimonials, as well as a brief description of a couple of ongoing projects I expect to complete in the next couple of years. Would you recommend that I take out the personal statement and job history?

Thanks ye all!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:07 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Yes, but I meant write something today. Look over questions that people are always asking and then try to answer it. It is even better if it is a topic that would intrigue a potential employer or customer. Do some research and write a short article, i.e. publish yourself.

Also, If you think it is a very good article, you can submit it to ezine magazine, etc....

Even an article about meeting a customer's needs and budgeting, etc... would be helpful. You could start off with, what is the first question, customer's ask...."how much is it going to cost me?" ;-))

just a thought, good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
gea, you are so reliable for input. Thank you! Here's the thing about my writing - I could include some press releases, but a lot of the best writing I've done is, um, quite feminist in nature and could potentially offend the more patriarchal types. That's cool and all... but my source of work right now is my little ol' business and I don't want to alienate clients or prospective employers... hmmm. And then the other stuff is creative writing. And then the press releases are the opposite!

black_fx - I am in a technical field and the online resume is more of an *expanded* version of my resume, in that it includes a couple of testimonials, as well as a brief description of a couple of ongoing projects I expect to complete in the next couple of years. Would you recommend that I take out the personal statement and job history?

Thanks ye all!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:32 PM

gea, that's a fastabulous idea! Thanks! Tried to rep you but alas.. have to spread the love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search