Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

The question I hate the most is "What would you say has been your biggest accomplishment on any of your jobs ? " Is it just me or do other people have trouble with that one too ? I think it is a ridiculous ? especially for entry level jobs . I mean how many of us working at entry level jobs have any real impact or accomplishment on these menial low paying jobs ? I dont even get why they ask this question on an entry level low paying job .Does anybody else understand why they ask this question ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I think it's a great question, even for an entry level job. It gives you the opportunity to talk about how you overcame an obstacle or thought outside the box.

Let's say that you were an entry level file clerk, and you thought of a way to get more files stored in a smaller space.

Or maybe the company had a very demanding client who always complained about the amount of time it took to get documents delivered to them, and you were able to make the client happy because you suggested using a faster messenger service that actually cost less.

Or you developed a solution to an employee relations issue that cost the company a only few dollars a month that made the employees happier and more productive.

Maybe you were a receptionist who was responsible for ordering coffee supplies, and you on your own initiative found a less expensive supplier with better coffee.

Maybe you were a volunteer who helped teach children to read and your biggest accomplishment could be that you gave the gift of knowing how to read to several children one year.

An accomplishment doesn't ahve to be huge. It just needs to show that you contributed in some way to the overall success of the organization. It shows the potential employer that you have critical or independent thinking skills.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
The worst one is "But why do you want to work for us"? Asked if I am an enemy or some intruder.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 PM

222 posts, read 779,504 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think it's a great question, even for an entry level job. It gives you the opportunity to talk about how you overcame an obstacle or thought outside the box.

Let's say that you were an entry level file clerk, and you thought of a way to get more files stored in a smaller space.

Or maybe the company had a very demanding client who always complained about the amount of time it took to get documents delivered to them, and you were able to make the client happy because you suggested using a faster messenger service that actually cost less.

Or you developed a solution to an employee relations issue that cost the company a only few dollars a month that made the employees happier and more productive.

Maybe you were a receptionist who was responsible for ordering coffee supplies, and you on your own initiative found a less expensive supplier with better coffee.

Maybe you were a volunteer who helped teach children to read and your biggest accomplishment could be that you gave the gift of knowing how to read to several children one year.

An accomplishment doesn't ahve to be huge. It just needs to show that you contributed in some way to the overall success of the organization. It shows the potential employer that you have critical or independent thinking skills.
Totally agreed!
You can always find smth to say even though it is about ordering coffee etc. Show creativity, leadership etc...think about what an employer would like you tell them, read the description of the job, skill and think about the situation.
This is an easy question..

Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Many interview questions are ridiculous and were drafted years ago by supposedly experts, but were adopted by leading companies and everyone else just follows. Unlike in science and engineering, there is low creativity and innovation in HR departments.
Most people don't have neither "great achievements" nor colossal failures. Most folks are not applying to the joint chief of staff, or treasury secretary positions.
The problem lies also with absurd expectations some employers have in regard to their entry jobs ($10 an hour).
That being said, these are the times and we all need to adjust.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
If I'm hiring a $10 an hour clerk or receptionist, I want to at least be sure the person I'm hiring has some motivation and common sense.

Another type of question you could be asked is "Do you like the color purple?" (Or any other sort of off-the-wall type thing along those lines.) It's not what you say, but how you say it. Someone who blurts out "I HATE purple" is probably someone who doesn't always think before they speak. A candidate who says, "Well, purple isn't my favorite color, I prefer blue or green" is a candidate who tries to not offend people--they know the interviewers favorite color might be purple. It also comes down to watching how you manage unusual or stressful situations.

I wouldn't want to hire someone who gets totally freaked out by that question as a receptionist. They are the face of my company, and I want to hire someone who doesn't get rattled or say things without thinking about the impact of their words first.

Last edited by annerk; 04-08-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Most interview questions are stupid. Let's face it, the whole process is asinine. You get someone in who can do a good b.s. session and they get the job over someone else.

Or maybe the interviewer just likes your suit and the way you present yourself.

"What can you bring to this company?"
"Myself for 40 hours a week."

Basically if everyone who was a screw up was unemployed, there would be a lot more jobs for the rest of us who know how to work.

There is something inherently wrong with the whole 'corporate system.'

Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Most interview questions are stupid. Let's face it, the whole process is asinine. You get someone in who can do a good b.s. session and they get the job over someone else.

Or maybe the interviewer just likes your suit and the way you present yourself.

"What can you bring to this company?"
"Myself for 40 hours a week."

Basically if everyone who was a screw up was unemployed, there would be a lot more jobs for the rest of us who know how to work.

There is something inherently wrong with the whole 'corporate system.'
I don't agree. I think an interview allows the employer to get an idea of how poised the interviewee is, how quickly he or she can think on their feet, whether they have decent communication skills, whether they present a professional image, how enthusiastic they appear...the list goes on. For most jobs, a successful employee must do more than just be able to trudge along with their nose to the grindstone for 40 hours a week. Interpersonal skills are usually, if not always, essential to being successful at one's job. A face-to-face interview provides the opportunity to see whether the applicant appears to have these skills.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:12 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The question I hate the most is "What would you say has been your biggest accomplishment on any of your jobs ? " Is it just me or do other people have trouble with that one too ? I think it is a ridiculous ? especially for entry level jobs . I mean how many of us working at entry level jobs have any real impact or accomplishment on these menial low paying jobs ? I dont even get why they ask this question on an entry level low paying job .Does anybody else understand why they ask this question ?

Entry level jobs are not always low paying and pointless. What makes you think that? There are entry level jobs in all fields like police officer, Air traffic control. I mean, it is the bottom of the totem pole for that profession thats all.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:21 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Well I feel the questions are that way so they are open enough for them to reject you. If they really wanted to assess people they'd give scenarios to judge many levels of abilities, personality, team work, drive, etc...one good question can give alot better insight than some stupid open ended q like that.

I interviewed for a job that I did 30 years with the same company in another state and they asked alot of trick questions that you would answer differently if you worked there knowing the rules like I did.

My new deal is I created a stockpile of half bogus experiences that I pull out depending on the question. Based on my former job when they ask me

"tell me about a time a customer was upset what did you do?

WTH what a stupid question. Realize I was a manager, supervisor, call center consultant and several other things over 30 years.

So what? Like every customer? lol Lemme go through my memory bank here...

So I answer some stupid thing like I take a combination of previous experiences and merge them..."oh, one customer was upset ...blah blah blah...and I fixed it and also sold him ten times more blah blah blah then I contacted all 25 of the other people in the building and got him AND his fellow tenants to sign a million dollar exclusivity contract....whatever. "

Ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer.

Who me bitter? LOL The reality is they want the lowest entry level pay person they can find that breathes as long as they are 22 years old and follow instructions no questions asked....without taking lunch, break, vacation, and working 50 hours a week off the clock lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search