Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

As some of you have seen, I just started a waitress job. I'm in training now and am going through hostess, cashier and then server training and then by myself. As a hostess I obviously deal with everyone who comes in the door. On Monday, I had 5 people come in for scheduled interviews. You wouldn't believe how these people were dressed. One guy came in board shorts, t shirt and flip flops!!!! Another one came in ripped jeans, tshirt and flip flops. Another girl came in with her cans out. I mean COME ON!!!!! It took everything in me to not be like "you are kidding me right??" Of course, they weren't hired. Have you people come across the same???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 04:35 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Yes. People seem to have no sense. I work in a mental health hospital and have seen people come in with bare bellies/naval jewelry, old jeans, etc. That's for the interview. Once you're hired, it's OK! Mostly. (I work nights and dress like a hobo. If I might meet people's families, like in admissions, I manage to wear black pants, not jeans).
Even when I applied for waitress jobs back in the day, I'm pretty sure I knew to wear a skirt.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:49 AM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Another girl came in with her cans out.
Thanks for the visual

Of course, it must have been pretty bad for her not to get hired.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:04 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
That's funny. I guess they think because it's a restaurant and not a "real" business environment they can be casual, as if they were going to have lunch there?! Every interview tip I've read says to err on the side of caution and dress conservatively, so that's what I've always done, no matter the type of business.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 AM

203 posts, read 927,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
As some of you have seen, I just started a waitress job. I'm in training now and am going through hostess, cashier and then server training and then by myself. As a hostess I obviously deal with everyone who comes in the door. On Monday, I had 5 people come in for scheduled interviews. You wouldn't believe how these people were dressed. One guy came in board shorts, t shirt and flip flops!!!! Another one came in ripped jeans, tshirt and flip flops. Another girl came in with her cans out. I mean COME ON!!!!! It took everything in me to not be like "you are kidding me right??" Of course, they weren't hired. Have you people come across the same???
Way back in my youth i attended a "job fair". An excellent entry level position for a huge company. It was held at a local Hilton and the turn out was so overwhelming people were lined around the building. The "weeders" came to each and every person to ask if they had a valid drivers license(one of the duties was driving)......many said "No"..........next they spotted the people who had bothered to dress properly. These people were pushed to the front of the line. I was one of the chosen few.....i remember that day well.........hundreds people, i wore a faux suede suit and it was thee hottest day of the year!...........Man was i glad to get inside!!.........i got the job!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 AM

Zig's-LOL. Im glad you liked it. However, the girl doing the interview is very very strict and doesn't play with stuff like that. It wasn't a pretty sight anyways. (I would have at least admitted that)

Over-Even when I went to the restaurant to the interview, I had on a pair of nice jeans/nice shirt and closed toe shoes. I wasn't too formal but I didn't look sloppy in anyway. They hired me on the spot.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Some people don't, for whatever reason, know how to dress for the job. Others really don't want the job. I have a friend who once went on an interview to a car dealership and took her two standard poodles. Surprise--she didn't get the job.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 AM

Then why apply if you don't want the job?? That makes no sense. Obviously your friend isn't very smart.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:52 AM

24 posts, read 80,004 times
I work in a job center and many of the job seekers complain that they can't get jobs because the employers don't want to hire them. Well, when employers visit our agency, sometimes this is what they see: people in pajamas, flip flops, shorts up to here, cleavage down to there, huge tattoos, hair in loud colors.... These are individuals who want a job at a bank or restaurant doing extensive customer service work. Some are truly clueless, this being their first job, so we do tell them what the employers are looking for and how to dress appropriately, but some of them...Lord...they know better and we wonder why they continue to dress this way.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:57 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,202 times
I always dress in a nice suite when I go for interviews and I have always been hired. One time it was me and one other girl who interviewed for a job in Tacoma, Washington. We were both new to the state and we got the question if we liked it in Washington. I said something like " Yes, it is very beautiful and it reminds me a lot about home" The other girl said " Oh no, I hate it here! I can't wait to leave"

Well, they never hired her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search