Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,839 times

Advertisements

I was contacted yesterday by a company I have tried SO many times to get into. I have sent resume after resume for many positions - and really never expected a call.

Yesterday, the call came, and after asking basic questions, asked if I was able to do a telephone interview last night, with a possible follow up face-to-face in the office today. Of course I said yes - I was thrilled!

To prepare, I called my cousin who has actually worked for this company, just to get her input. She was brutally honest with me (thankfully) and told me what I needed to do if I got the job. I failed to ask about the phone interview.

6:15 came last night, the phone rang, and it was the same person I I spoken with earlier. She agin went over the same questions, and then went through my resume job by job, asking detailed questions - which I answered as best I could remember.

By the end of the conversation, she told me her results would be passed onto the managers above her, and this morning a decision would be made, and if I was chosem would receive a call to come in today for an interview.

Question - am I wrong in thinking her response after the interview - not giving me a time today - is a response of 'we have just decided to move onto other candidates, but thank you for your time' ?

I am from the old school of finding a job. You look in the classifieds, mail your resume, they go through them, call you in, and generally - if you have the position, you are asked right then and there when you can start.

What is up with this phone interview stuff - when they know you are nervous, have no idea what questions will be asked, and you have no way of reading body language - have I said too much, given a wrong answer, said something she did not like???

So, here I sit, trying to stay busy and do things around the house, waiting for the phone to ring to see if I need to throw it into high gear and get ready to go downtown.

Does anyone have any insight on how best to answer these phone interviews? How do you know when you have said too much or not enough when the interviewer id typing your responses, has you on speaker phone, and seems to be a robot - as you may as well be speaking with a computer? And how can they tell from your responses - knowing you are at home, in a position at their mercy - how well you will 'fit' in their offered position?

Just curious. Have a sick feeling I blew it - as my mother-in-law walked in the room when I was on the phone and refused to walk out when I waved her off - she knew who I was talking too - and refused to leave - totally breaking my concntration - leavign me fumbling trying to catch up.

God, help me to get this job. I really need it - You know that. I beg of You to give me this chance. I can't take much more...

KimmieyKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,226,305 times
Hi - My husband has had phone interviews also, he was not given the consideration of them calling to schedule a time, they just called and interviewed him. Actually the time they picked we were showing our home, yep had potential buyers walking through our home and he had to sit there and interview! By the way he got the job!

They did the same thing to him, you were only talking to a human resource person that did not have the authority to make the final decision. Give it time, and don't be surprised if it takes more than one day. With my husband it took 2 weeks! It is no different than interviewing in person, the normal person of course will see everything they said and think of another response. Relax, breath and wait. Best of luck, I'll say a little prayer too!
Regards, Cassy1.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,797,339 times
They do telephone interviews at my company. They usually do them with a face to face interview scheduled like 2 weeks later.
If they do not get through the screening process for a phone interview, they send a letter thanking them for their time but that they have not selected them. I think all companies need to send correspondence either way.. I HATE just playing the waiting game.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 AM

Thanks for you responses, and your prayers. Since I written this, I gathered my nerve to call the person back whom I spoke with last night. Just left a message to clarify their time fram. She was kind enough to call back and...

...told me the company had enough candidates for this upcoming class, and they would keep my information for upcoming postings. I took this opportunity to ask point blank how SHE felt my interview went, what I could have done differently and if she could give any suggestions for future interviews - as I am from the old school point of view.

I think I caught her off guard enough that she had no choice but to really tell me what she thought. She said I interviewed very well, and that what they normally look for are short, concise answers with a situation and result, and how I relate to certain situations. She did say the next round was coming in April (so she was told) but related SHE believes it will be much sooner as has been her experience.

She also said that this position usually produces one or more drop-out before the classes start - failed drug tests, etc., and even when the classes begin, because the are difficult, many do not hang in.

So....back to the drawing board I am - and clinging to God for direction. I do have an interview tomorrow for a customer service position just 15 minutes away. The pay is not great, but the benefits start the same day of employment - which is a plus. Catch 22 - if the first company (where I really need and want to be ) calls at the drop of a hat - which I was told could happen - I will face a decision to abandon a job I may already have ( I take nothing for granted anymore), just to interview face to face and get through a further screeing process which may or may not lead anywhere.

I AM SO TIRED OF THIS!!!!!

The job I have interviewed for x2 and have been waitng on since December - got an email this morning informing me they have decided to move ahead with another candidate. Wasted time, wasted worrying, wasted excitement and another lesson learned.

I really believe my age (40) and the fact that I spent time at home with my children is hurting me at this point. The market is flooded with young girls who have at least a certificate behind their name, and I am a dinosaur. I just need a chance. God, how I just need a chance!

Praying everyday, believing in Him that He will put me where I need to be - and not allowing this world to destroy me further - Kimmiey

Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 AM

8,960 posts, read 20,388,156 times
I had a phone interview a few months ago, and......hate them! I want a "live" face-to-face interview so the interviewer can see that I dress professionaly (slacks, shirt, tie, sport coat) for an interview and we can discuss the job, etc. I want the interviewer to "see" that I do have a good personality and would be RIGHT for the job.
Gee, interviewing has changed SO much in the last 20 years! Now a person has to have a resume' for a basic warehouse/shipping-receiving job. Not only that, with most companies, a person has to be Certified to drive a forklift. Years ago, I'd just get the job and jump on a forklift and GO. My application showed my experience with a forklift and that was all that was needed.
And, depending on the job, you'd better have a lot of computer skills (which I do) or you will be OUT.
Sure liked the "old days".

Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Loveboating - I miss the old days too. I think that technology is wonderful for certain areas - like communication, television, etc. - but the way it has changed the work place - what a nightmare!

People like you and I who have made our way through life working with the old hiring ways - are so lost when we are downsized and have to start all over. It is almost impossible to compete with these new ways of doing things and the young kids out there.

What really gets me - related to your comment of them 'seeing your face' - you cannot judge by a phone call what type of 'fit' this person will be. It is not possible!

One compnay I did a VERY SHORT job for hired a girl only from the phine interview, and the manager fell over when she walked in the door. Tattooed from one end to the other (nothing wrong with it personally, but against company policy), piercings in as many places as I cared to look - and jet-black hair - the 'goth' look. This, to work in scrubs at a hospital reperesenting a compnay with extremely high standards!

Oh, well. I guess it is just a sign of the times. Companies are now run by people younger than we are, and they are working in the 'new corporate culture', and there is just no place for us.

Something has to give soon. Or...we could just sign up for public assistance and let these new blood kids pay for us the other way!! joking, just joking..

Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 AM

8,960 posts, read 20,388,156 times
From kimmieyky: "Companies are now run by people younger than we are, and they are working in the 'new corporate culture', and there is just no place for us. Something has to give soon."

Yes, something does have to "give" soon and it is called RETIREMENT.....as soon as I can (within about 5 years).
Gee, you'd better watch what you say about people getting jobs that have tattoos/body piercings, even though it is a Companies Policy. There is a Thread on this Forum, started by a person who likes that look, and the Thread has gottin my replies from folks who like that "look" and folks (like the wife and I) that don't. There were some comments made in the Thread that would make anyone think that a Forum War was being started! In fact, there was one lady on that Thread that made it VERY clear that she didn't like the look and another lady that is a Director for HR that said that her company would never hire someone with the tattoos/body piercings. Like I said, the replies got pretty "heated up" (pros/cons). I decided not to continue making any more replies........they all found out how my wife and I felt about the Thread topic and that ended it.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,226,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Thanks for you responses, and your prayers. Since I written this, I gathered my nerve to call the person back whom I spoke with last night. Just left a message to clarify their time fram. She was kind enough to call back and...

...told me the company had enough candidates for this upcoming class, and they would keep my information for upcoming postings. I took this opportunity to ask point blank how SHE felt my interview went, what I could have done differently and if she could give any suggestions for future interviews - as I am from the old school point of view.

I think I caught her off guard enough that she had no choice but to really tell me what she thought. She said I interviewed very well, and that what they normally look for are short, concise answers with a situation and result, and how I relate to certain situations. She did say the next round was coming in April (so she was told) but related SHE believes it will be much sooner as has been her experience.

She also said that this position usually produces one or more drop-out before the classes start - failed drug tests, etc., and even when the classes begin, because the are difficult, many do not hang in.

So....back to the drawing board I am - and clinging to God for direction. I do have an interview tomorrow for a customer service position just 15 minutes away. The pay is not great, but the benefits start the same day of employment - which is a plus. Catch 22 - if the first company (where I really need and want to be ) calls at the drop of a hat - which I was told could happen - I will face a decision to abandon a job I may already have ( I take nothing for granted anymore), just to interview face to face and get through a further screeing process which may or may not lead anywhere.

I AM SO TIRED OF THIS!!!!!

The job I have interviewed for x2 and have been waitng on since December - got an email this morning informing me they have decided to move ahead with another candidate. Wasted time, wasted worrying, wasted excitement and another lesson learned.

I really believe my age (40) and the fact that I spent time at home with my children is hurting me at this point. The market is flooded with young girls who have at least a certificate behind their name, and I am a dinosaur. I just need a chance. God, how I just need a chance!

Praying everyday, believing in Him that He will put me where I need to be - and not allowing this world to destroy me further - Kimmiey
Keep the faith! I'm in your boat also. I have just started looking for a job and get no calls back. It is very hard to compete in today's job market for us middle aged folks! Well I just may have to work in a Target or something, if they would give me the time of day. Have you thought of a temporary service between hearing from the company you want to work for?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
I don't have much experience with phone interviews... but don't assume you didn't get it, just because of that response. Every industry is different, but I've never been offered anything on the spot - aside from a few service (waitressing & cashiering) jobs. The place that recently hired me did a standard interview, at the end of which I got "thanks for your time, we'll call you". But then they called my references the next day, and offered me a job 2 weeks later. So don't give up hope, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 AM

LoveBoating - Sorry about that. I should have clarified more. I mtself have a tatoo and a piercing or two - I just put mine where they could not be seen.
I don;t think issues like those effect job performance - what bothered me is that because of the phone interview ONLY, they didi not find out until this little girl walked in the door. She was very sweet - but the company policy states they must not be seen while on the job.

To each his own - it's just my belief that these interviews are unfair. They cannot see me, have no idea what type of 'person' I am , and even though sometimes a face to face hides things as well - when judgements are made based on phone calls alone - it can be a little unfair. I didn't mean to step on toes - I got my tattoo and piercing when my step-mother passed away in 1997 - a 'weird' tribute to a person who was very young at heart. She would have layghed her head off at me and loved it!

Cassy - I have tried one temp service who I found very quickly was not sending my resumes as I asked. I found out the hard way when a job I had applied for through them turned up in the newspaper, sent my resume, and got the interview on my own. They also failed to inform me about another job for which I interviewed, was not chosen, and left me to do a follow up. The office manager at the practice apologized a million times over and said she had called them the very day she knew. But...you are right. I am going to try again.

Giz - I am growing very weary. Got a call back after I posted yesterday morning - they told me they had enough candidates for this go round, I just came out and asked her how I did and what she would suggest I do differently. She said I did fine, they just always call more than they need - and I was at the end of the calls. She expects another round soon - and if some drop otu, and they usually do, I am next. Keeping the faith as best I can - I know God has a place for me - just don't know where yet.

I do have an interview today - which began with a phone interview - not nearlt as in depth as the other. The pay is not great but the benefits are, and they begin day one.

Know something funny? I have been turned down so many times - I am no longer nervous, and approach these interviews as a 'day out of the house'.
At least I keep my sanity and have a day to put on make-up! lol!

You all are great. Your words of advice and encouragement help more than you know. Had a migraine yesterday from all this mess - sick as a dog. Must do more YOGA!!!!

Me P.s - cross fingers, toes, and pray like wildfire. Feel like I am running out of options. Can't retire - nothing to retire on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search