Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 137,125 times

Advertisements

I would like to become a police officer oneday, some of my friends stated that you must pass an extensive background investigation and be free of any felony conviction. Anyone know (websites) or how to find out about your own record. I dont have a felony conviction, just a few parking tickets, just want to know what I have on the record and to see if I should apply in the future. thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
My brother in law, had to do a background check, I think they only look at arrests and a psycological exam that was pretty extensive. If you havent been arrested you really shouldnt worry.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Many departments have different criteria for being hired. Take for example the N.Y.P.D. Here are "some" of the reasons for disqualification. Conviction of a felony, conviction of petit larceny, conviction of domestic violence, discharge from former employment for poor behavior or inabilitity adjusting to discipline, dishonorable discharge from the military and any repeated convictions of an offense which indicate a disrespect for the law, a lack of good moral character or disposition towards violence and disorder. In short one would need to check with the department they are applying to and see what their requirements are. Hope that helps.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:50 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,712 times
I agree with the above. However, I do know that the investigation can run beyond just checking out your record. My dad used to do it, it's called "candidate investigations". They have actually gone to the candidate's home, talked to family members, friends, I mean pretty extensive. However, parking tickets I'm sure wouldn't be held against you. But to cover your butt, I'd pay those babies off just in good faith. You can probably find out through motor vehicle or if they're not too far gone, your local town hall. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:39 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Thats what they did with me.. visit my home, talked to my past employers, talked with my friends and neibors. As long as your upfront and honest with anything in your past, because if they discover it and you left it off or lied, your not gonna get past the investigation.

The hard part was the interview, they have a panel and they ask you some tuff questions.

The one that I was unsure how to answer was..

Your on the force, you catch your brother doing drugs, how do you handle the situation?

How do you answer that? Do you say you take the drugs and flush them and get him some help? Do you arrest him and then bail him out and get him the help he needs?

The proper answer is, I dont know, but with the proper training and instruction I am sure I will be prepaired to answer that question. As it was explained to me.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:31 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I don't know how it is for every city/county, but my sister had to pass a lie-detector test! She's a lawyer with the police department, and told me all about this... they asked a lot of background questions (like drug use, if you've stolen anything, people you're associated with, etc.), and she said it was pretty intense. They don't expect you to be perfect, but mainly want you to be honest about everything. Let's face it, if perfection was required, we wouldn't have too many cops!! So as long as you haven't done anything really bad, you should be okay... they do get serious about weapon-related crimes, so that's a big "red mark".

As for doing your own background check, you can do that through many online sites for a fee (usually $25-30 or so)... you could also see a lawyer, and have them do a check for you. I have access to Lexis-Nexis, which is capable of that, but I'm not sure how thorough it gets. Anyway, good luck!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 101,874 times
Default how to find out about your own record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
Anyone know (websites) or how to find out about your own record.
You can find complete instructions on "How to Do a Free Background Check"
at BackgroundSearch.com
How to Do a Free Background Check (broken link)

Good luck with you research and becoming a police officer.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:07 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
A couple of years ago I went to renew my CDL and they told me if I wanted to keep my hazmat certs, I would have to re-take the written test AND pay an additional 95.00 for a background check. I questioned that, but go figure, they told me it was ever since that 9-11 thing, anyone who wants hazmat certification will have to get one. Its worth it though.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,269 times
I have been employed in Nuclear power plants and there pretty tought as far as backround check....You need to take a 600 question physc test. You have to give four referances that you have known for at least 6 mounths and they ask those people for four more references each. Then you have to account for your entire work history for the last ten years. With a list of all the employer you worked for the exact starting date and the date you finished. If you were unemployed at all they want someone to to back it up. And of corse you can't have a felony. Then once your hired they give you random drug tests.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 100,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
I would like to become a police officer oneday, some of my friends stated that you must pass an extensive background investigation and be free of any felony conviction. Anyone know (websites) or how to find out about your own record. I dont have a felony conviction, just a few parking tickets, just want to know what I have on the record and to see if I should apply in the future. thanks,

Hi, that's the wisest thing to do. Check your own background, and find out if you have previous criminal records (though I am smiling on how can you be not so sure about your records and how you forgotten about them, in case there is one). There are PI or private investigators websites out there. Like this one: [Mod] ... It's okay to share information but no advertising links, please .......Background Check Las Vegas[/Mod]

You can pay them to conduct an extensive background check on you and give you results. After that you'd be able to move forward to the next step.

__________________________________________________ __________
[Mod] SORRY - NO ADVERTISING[/Mod]

Last edited by 2goldens; 09-30-2008 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: It's okay to give information but no advertising links please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search