Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 PM

109 posts, read 142,889 times

Advertisements

DH is applying for jobs.

Company A is moving faster than Company B, but first choice is Company B by a long shot.

Company A said that they want to fly him out today and said it will happen in 2-3 weeks.
Company B said that they want to fly him out two weeks ago, but we haven't heard anything since.

The two companies are in different states.

Is there a tactful way to reach out to Company B recruiter to see if we can speed up the process in a no-pressure kind of way? What is best wording to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 PM

856 posts, read 1,063,534 times
Exclamation Pressuring Recruiter W/O Coming Across as Pressuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsl5 View Post
DH is applying for jobs.

Company A is moving faster than Company B, but first choice is Company B by a long shot.

Company A said that they want to fly him out today and said it will happen in 2-3 weeks.
Company B said that they want to fly him out two weeks ago, but we haven't heard anything since.

The two companies are in different states.

Is there a tactful way to reach out to Company B recruiter to see if we can speed up the process in a no-pressure kind of way? What is best wording to do so?
Hi,

I don't see any reason for you to contact the Company B recruiter.

Company A won't happen for "...2 - 3 weeks..."

Company B is behind its declared schedule.

Also, neither company is likely to extend an Offer while he is there. They may have additional candidates to interview and certainly, they will want to huddle and decide if they want to extend an offer to DH following the interview. Typically, you would receive an Offer one to three days following the interview and then there would be a one to three day delay before DH decides.

So you will have a couple of/a few days between an interview and the need to commit or decline.

So there is no need to push anything along. Let the events unfold as they may. Attempting to rush the process may also weaken DH's negotiating posture.

In other words, until either schedules a flight date, there is no need to tamper with the events until you know which company will be first and the other second.

If B schedules first, your problem is solved. If A schedules first, then DH could speak with the Co. B recruiter and let him/her know he has an interview scheduled and would like know when he can calendar the Co. B interview "so there is no conflict and he will be available when Co. B wants to see him".

DH letting Co. B know he has another interview will not derail the process but asking Co. B to speed things up may easily get you zip. And, you have not said what Co. B's preference is regarding DH over other candidates. If there is no preference, there will be no 'speeding things up' and asking will not help your position. Considering they are two weeks behind, asking them to speed things up may sound 'noisy' to them.

When DH lets B know he has an interview scheduled with another company, that should speed things up at Co. B but there is no guarantee of this, of course. We don't know what the other variables are such as competing candidates and internal discussions having to do with the hire or other internal issues indirectly connected to the hire. Inasmuch as they are two weeks behind, I'm inclined to believe the timing of their moving forward has more to do with internal issues than your endeavoring to catalyze them into forward motion.

Hopefully, Co. B recruiter will then call back and give DH a date. It happens before or it happens after A. If after, go on the A interview and then go on the B interview. If there is too much of a delay between the two, then DH would need to explain to A that he is waiting for the B interview and then will decide. If A wants him badly enough, that will fly.

You would be having less heartburn with this if you had more employer choices.

DH ought to be continuing to solicit interviews with additional companies.

You kind'a sound as though it is all down to these two companies but in fact, between them, you don't have anything, yet. No Offer is pending, it is all up in the air.

Neither company may end up being a choice and you certainly don't want to bank on one of [only] two companies making a satisfactory Offer and do nothing else in the meantime.

Paul........

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 07-27-2015 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: additional text

Old 07-27-2015, 09:27 PM

789 posts, read 2,003,917 times
It never hurts to let both companies know that there is competition. Assuming that your husband is still actively employed, I would set up the travel with Company A and then contact Company B and have him tell them that he is planning to take several days of vacation from his current job and would it be possible to schedule the interview that week as well. If they're truly interested, they'll be happy to accommodate his schedule. If not, you'll find out quickly.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 PM

Thanks, Paul.

Yes, all hypotheticals for the time-being. Several other companies are in the mix as well.

Quote:
"so there is no conflict and he will be available when Co. B wants to see him".
Thanks for this!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,289,298 times
I think it's too soon to let either company know about your activities with the other company.
Until you have an offer from one company, you have little leverage.
I say to let things play out.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
It never hurts to let both companies know that there is competition. Assuming that your husband is still actively employed, I would set up the travel with Company A and then contact Company B and have him tell them that he is planning to take several days of vacation from his current job and would it be possible to schedule the interview that week as well. If they're truly interested, they'll be happy to accommodate his schedule. If not, you'll find out quickly.
Good idea. I'm just never sure how much to share...I'm beginning to think it all depends on the recruiter. I remember when I was interviewing with a company and the recruiter wanted to be kept up to speed on where I was in the hiring process with any company I was interviewing with.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 PM

Default Pressuring Recruiter W/O Coming Across as Pressuring

Quote:
Thanks, Paul.

Yes, all hypotheticals for the time-being. Several other companies are in the mix as well.

"so there is no conflict and he will be available when Co. B wants to see him".

Thanks for this!
Hey,

LOL, it looks like you read between the lines. I had neglected to spell out the wording was meant to have DH sound as 'interested' as possible.

I guess you got that.

And good for having more companies. As a rule, for those of us in the business, we endeavor to have at least three interviews for our recruits and three recruits for our clients.

Anyway, Bonne Chance!

Paul.......

Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 PM

Default Pressuring Recruiter W/O Coming Across as Pressuring

Quote:
Good idea. I'm just never sure how much to share...I'm beginning to think it all depends on the recruiter. I remember when I was interviewing with a company and the recruiter wanted to be kept up to speed on where I was in the hiring process with any company I was interviewing with.

Question.....

Based on,

"...I'm beginning to think it all depends on the recruiter."

If the recruiter (internal, yes?) works for B, then you need to impress the urgency on him/her that you have another interview pending and it would be helpful if that person could influence events in a forward motion. Do not include you have a preference.

It is to that recruiter's benefit to fill the position since s/he has many others and the sooner this one is filled, etc., etc.

If the recruiter is with A, there is nothing further to do for now.

Paul....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search