Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 AM

34 posts, read 41,126 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody

I am soon relocating to California from Europe

I have a doubt regarding the references.

I know that most of Us companies will ask to perform a references check.
How can I manage to make it easier to my potential employer to check my background?

Should I have my actual manager to produce some letter of references?
Linkedin reccomendations?

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
You should provide contact information for the references as you would normally but a little more extensively, i.e. mailing address, 'phone number and email address(es). I don't know enough about LinkedIn to comment on that. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 AM

294 posts, read 476,929 times
Had this problem coming back from China. **** out of luck.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 AM

112 posts, read 287,943 times
They don't require written references in the US. Just a phone call (or I suppose email these days) should be fine.

I couldn't find work for years because UK employers demanded written references and US employers refused to supply them. Neither side listened to reason. I begged the US employers to make an exception and just write a reference and I explained repeatedly to UK employers that they simply don't do this in the US but they're available on the phone and will answer any of your stupid questions. Nobody would listen. Totally ridiculous.

Get written references anyway. It might help.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,446 times
You should obtain a written recommendation, just in case, even if you're not going to need it. It's better to be safe than sorry. In my experience, most employers are intimidated to call any references abroad, so at least you can show them the recommendation letter if they invite you for an interview.

Be prepared to only find an entry-level job though, foreign references usually don't count a whole lot on the American labor market.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,235,363 times
Where in Europe? Make sure to give them adjusted time zone hours and a reference to someone who speaks English. A lot of jobs do not provide written references in North America, so most of those checks are still done via phone call.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM

Thank you for all the sugestions

I ll have my managers write a letter of references

@Rob702
"Be prepared to only find an entry-level job though, foreign references usually don't count a whole lot on the American labor market."

Really? not even an experience from the world leader company of a specific field?
It seems quite arrogant.
I beg to doubt your statement

Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM

You can write a letter, but do expect that they will contact the writer directly as well. Written references are not used commonly in North America (for employment - they are more common for academic/volunteer positions).

Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM

I am starting to get worried

In your opinion , how a potential employer will value :

- education -- I have graduated (Master of Science in Management)) in the TOP italian school, ranked 13th by Financial Times
- experiece -- 5+ year Strategic MArketing experience in World Largest TELCO carrier
- summer courses in Berkeley
- some sales and small business experience

The fact that I did not gradaute in an US school and that I have never worked in an US company will means that I am condemned , if I am lucky, to only aspire to an entry-level job?

I really hope not. That would be a tragedy

Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 AM

Do you have permission to work in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search