Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,570,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Being liked by coworkers is nowhere near as important as being seen as competent to the boss!
I wish that were so! The whole interviewing and hiring process is geared towards finding someone likeable over someone competent and usually someone who is good at BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 12:25 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,528,526 times
Quote:
I wish that were so! The whole interviewing and hiring process is geared towards finding someone likeable over someone competent and usually someone who is good at BS.
Maybe you should re-read my statement...unless the coworkers are the ones hiring, their liking you isn't as important as making the person hiring think you're the right person!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,897,923 times
To fit in with all state and federal regulations the company has to advertise the position and hold some interviews even if you are the one they want to hire. Keep in mind two things are going on.

1: They plan on hiring you for the permanent position, and are going through the hoops they have to go through to meet government requirements g by advertising and interviewing. This is done all the time.

2: The company is not completely satisfied with your performance, and are testing to see if there is someone that may be a better fit in the long run, and still may offer you the position.

3: The company is not completely satisfied with your performance on the job, and you are not going to be advanced from being a temp, to permanent.

You don't know which is at play. If you tell them you are looking for another job and looking for interviews, you will probably move you to #3 above. It proves to them, that you do not plan on making that company a permanent career.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 PM

11,197 posts, read 9,197,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
My position won't be available as the temp position will be replaced by a perm position. That's why I'm not too concerned about it "backfiring." I have about a year of experience. The perm position normally requires 2-3 years at least, which is why my site director is hesitant. The people they will be interviewing have that much experience.
start applying for new jobs. there are no guarantees in life except for death.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
To fit in with all state and federal regulations the company has to advertise the position and hold some interviews even if you are the one they want to hire. Keep in mind two things are going on.

1: They plan on hiring you for the permanent position, and are going through the hoops they have to go through to meet government requirements g by advertising and interviewing. This is done all the time.

2: The company is not completely satisfied with your performance, and are testing to see if there is someone that may be a better fit in the long run, and still may offer you the position.

3: The company is not completely satisfied with your performance on the job, and you are not going to be advanced from being a temp, to permanent.

You don't know which is at play. If you tell them you are looking for another job and looking for interviews, you will probably move you to #3 above. It proves to them, that you do not plan on making that company a permanent career.
i don't believe it is #1. It has to be 2 and 3. I remember they hired a temp to full time and they didn't advertise the position or anything. They just interviewed the temp girl and negotiated salary.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,528,526 times
Yup.....you're gone!

Start looking!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Yup.....you're gone!

Start looking!
exactly. put the job on your resume, network with your fellow co-workers (ie: references), update your linken in, and start interviewing. don't quit...just start the interviewing process.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,809,930 times
Say no. one its moral, two it would be harder for them to let you go. if you had other interviews lined up they might not feel sorry for letting you go. conversely they could be using it to see if you are of interest.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:21 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,397,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

#1 is fallacy. There are no laws that require a position to be posted. Something like 95% of jobs are filled without advertising them through the hidden job market. What you mean to say is a lot of companies have their own policies that say they have to post positions and interview others. My company has the policy of posting the position, and sometimes they do interview external candidates and still hire the temp and sometimes they don't interview any external candidates and hire the temp. The reason they post the job is so that other internal candidates have the opportunity to apply if they are interested.

And as I already said, they expect and told me to look for other jobs. Only a moron would not interview for other positions when they may or may not get hired at their current one. They also are considering hiring me at one of their other facilities, because I have a good reputation and everyone else for sure wants me hired. The right position for my experience level has to open up though. This position might be slightly over what I am qualified for.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:11 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,557,903 times
"Have you been interviewing?"

"Not recently."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search