Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 PM

137 posts, read 656,731 times

Advertisements

Good Morning! Short question.. I was recently approached by a staffing agency, the position does sound enticing. However, I am wondering how exactly do they get paid? Does the staffing agency fill the position take a small chunk of my hourly salary or does the company pay one fee to have the position filled? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Generally they get paid hourly by the company you are working for and the staffing agency pays you an hourly rate, which is of course considerably less (though it varies a lot). That has been my experience with Ranstad and Manpower, and being on the hiring side of the equation as well.

A headhunter type situation is often one time fee based which is usually based on the annual salary of the position (or it used to be the case).

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,537,926 times
Temp agencies very often make the same that you do and sometimes more!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry2 View Post
Good Morning! Short question.. I was recently approached by a staffing agency, the position does sound enticing. However, I am wondering how exactly do they get paid? Does the staffing agency fill the position take a small chunk of my hourly salary or does the company pay one fee to have the position filled? Thanks!
I am actually well informed on this subject matter.

If you are working at a company through them, they charge the company a hourly fee, and pay you part of it. For example, they might charge the company $25 an hour, then pay you $15 an hour.

If it is a direct hire role with the company and they are presenting you as a candidate, they get a one time fee for placing you. The fee is usually a percentage (10%-35%) of your starting salary.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
I am actually well informed on this subject matter.

If you are working at a company through them, they charge the company a hourly fee, and pay you part of it. For example, they might charge the company $25 an hour, then pay you $15 an hour.

If it is a direct hire role with the company and they are presenting you as a candidate, they get a one time fee for placing you. The fee is usually a percentage (10%-35%) of your starting salary.
First job in sales working for firm like this that's sounds correct. The 35% range would require some true echelon candidate I would think these days.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 19,165 times
I am looking to start a staffing agency for a specific job market. I was wondering the best way to go about doing this. Do I advertise first for people looking for work? Or do I advertise first for businesses looking for workers? Or should I advertise for both at the same time. Also, if the field of work I am looking to place mostly gets paid on a commission based pay, how much of the commission would my agency take? Any help would be appreciated! Just a side note, the jobs I am looking to staff, I have been in the business for 17 years.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,613 times
If your paycheck is coming through the staffing company, it means they take a part of your income. These types are usually the ones who sponsor the H1B visas so the company doesnt have to deal with all the immigration process. Even if your contract with the company ends, the H1 will still be active as you are technically 'employed' by the staffing agency. All the benefits like 401k, health insurance, etc. are through the staffing agency.

If the company is paying you directly, it means the staffing company got paid by them upfront for finding you so its not out of your pocket.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denn717 View Post
I am looking to start a staffing agency for a specific job market. I was wondering the best way to go about doing this. Do I advertise first for people looking for work? Or do I advertise first for businesses looking for workers? Or should I advertise for both at the same time. Also, if the field of work I am looking to place mostly gets paid on a commission based pay, how much of the commission would my agency take? Any help would be appreciated! Just a side note, the jobs I am looking to staff, I have been in the business for 17 years.
You might want to start a new thread about it to get good response. Usually people dont read all the replies to a thread before posting.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Temp agencies very often make the same that you do and sometimes more!
Usually more

When I was a field tech for dell, my pay rate was $29 dollars an hour

Dell was giving the contracting company $110 dollars an hour for me

Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
. All the benefits like 401k, health insurance, etc. are through the staffing agency.
Meaning typically they don't exist. These agencies rob you and the client for all that they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search