Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 AM

65 posts, read 437,197 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, has anyone dealth with a contingent job offer? What are your experiences?

My concern /issue /story:

I applied for a some related ROI Medical Records job directly through company website. I received an email on June 3 for an interview I had my first interview June 4. The first time I heard about the position I was deeply interested. Interview was okay. I tried to follow up but never heard a response back.

It was a couple of months till September 19, that I received a call/contact from the person who interviewed me last june for the same position I applied for asking if i was interested.

I responded to the email and was asked for references and that she would sent to HR. Also I've been applying the same position but in different city locations.

Then I get a call from another person but also from the same company who phone interviewed me for being interested in the same position. It was supposed to be on Oct 3, 2013. But then prior to that, person who i had interviewed last jun that called me me since she got my references and application told me that she had to hold off the position that couple months due to other things and that they just have it open. However, she told verbally told me that she will continue on with my application to offer the position and asked if i was interested. I did accepted it..She said first i would need to fill out background consent form to agree with background check then if it gets cleared that i would be notified and get sent a written offer to sign and complete or hear from them. I was told the offer is contingent upon a successful background check and if its cleared i will be notified.

Also the 2nd person who called me regarding the same position since she's from the same company, well she emailed me saying that my interviewed for the day would be cancelled because i was already given a verbal offer and background consent form.

October 1, I was given a background check consent form for them to start background check. I filled out the consent form and followed instructions and submitted. I was told it would take 3 to 5 days to process.

After a few days I also got an email about instructions to Drug Screen and Lab Testing and Physical. I've done all that as instructed and had done tb test and still need the final 2nd tb test to be read.

October 4, 2013 - I was called again from the same person manager, she verbally offered me again on whats on the table, mentioned of salary, describing what i would be doing, location but no details yet. Also they also mentioned they've been affected with government shutdown.. She also told me that they haven't heard from the background results... but emphasize that I will hear from them once my results of background check been cleared and will be sent an email offer letter from HR after cleared. She said she hopes hirees would start around Oct 14/15.

I have been checking my email and phone for any calls or emails from them. I did not hear yet if I'm cleared. Though I wonder what my status would be. I know I didn't have any criminal offences as well. I'm hoping background check is fine.

Though I'm excited, I'm trying not to be too excited. I don't want to end up not liking the job if or once I do start.

Other Questions:

If incase I don't hear from them, should I still be patient and wait for their email or email a follow up or call?

I wonder how long background checks do usually take.

Also i cannot start if I dont hear details by email.. Offer letter contains details of exact address location and everything.

How would I know if I'm cleared or not?

How would a person know if the employer or manager rescind the job offer?

And if an employer declines job offer to the candidate, will candidate be told reasons why?

I hope to hear from them soon. I'll see what happens.

Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Way too much irrelevant info in your post. I think that the pertinent details are that you have received a job offer subject to background check.

How long depends on the type of check. A drug test takes a little less than a week. Credit takes a day or so. Criminal varies depending on where you have lived, but about a week is typical. Due to the gov shutdown I doubt anybody can get a federal criminal check done.

If they are checking references, it depends on how quickly your references respond. Could be a day, could be a month.

If you fail the check the company may be inconsiderate and never tell you, but then again, they may send you an email.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:22 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Yep, background checks are taking FOREVER right now. Call the hiring manager and ask about status.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:49 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Wow. Backgrounds may take several weeks or longer; it depends how in depth the investigation is. If the gov't shut down is affecting things, your offer may take even longer. If they rescind the job offer they should let you know. I wouldn't expect anything other than, "there was a problem with your background." If you don't have any issues/problems, don't worry about passing the background.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
I had a contingency offer from a national defense contractor for Homeland Security. The three background checks never ended. At 3 months, the FBI check still wasnt complete. In the meantime, I found another job so I called the FBI and my recruiter and told them not to bother. I cant wait any more. What was bad is they bothered my contact numbers by calling them on unlisted numbers at strange times, they let me know it wasnt appreciated. What was funny is I kept getting email like I was still part of the company, for months. Now I see why it took so long, ha ha
What complicated mine was how much I moved around. If you haven't moved around too much, you should'nt have the same issues.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM

211 posts, read 529,222 times
Background tests have a huge range of times they can finish. No real idea on when it'll come in. I got mine in a month, while someone else I know got theirs in 2.5 months.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 AM

65 posts, read 437,197 times
Hi there everyone! thanks for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search