Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 PM

832 posts, read 1,427,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeunemployed View Post
I was contacted by a small company at its headquarter for a job interview. There was no mention of any reimbursement and I accepted the job interview request without any questions. The salary is going to 20-30% lower than what I know I can get/have been earning if I can just get through a job interview process successfully without messing something up. However, I know I can't be too picky right now so I've sending my resume to various places such as this one. How would you handle this? It's nearly 3-3.5 hours spent in my car round trip.
If I was unemployed, had the gas money and wanted the job yes.

Depending on the company and how that initial phone call went though...

I'd ask them about a video conference call option.

Who knows?

That may just be the 'out of the box forward thinking' they're looking for.

That really is dependent on how it all played out prior to that "Let's set up an interview" moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 02:45 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,752,971 times
video interviews are really not a good substitute for the real thing. they'll do in a pinch, but it's much better to just get there in person if at all possible. the technology just isn't there yet - these things are often glitchy, you have to choose between looking at the camera (and giving the impression of looking the interviewer in the eye) or looking at the other person on the screen and looking like you're looking away from them, there can be sound sync issues, etc. and it's just not possible to connect in the same way that you do in person.

i've turned down offers to do video interviews and opted come in person before - it just depends on how interested i am in the job and where i am in the interview process.

in the end i think i'm better off where i ended up, but i am pretty sure i lost out on a job offer because i had an inside connection and they opted to do my main interview on the phone rather than having me come in.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:49 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,778,929 times
I don't think most places would reimburse you for 90 miles. I wouldn't drive that far to work, personally, unless it was a kick a** job. I can barely stand driving 13 miles.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 PM

14,417 posts, read 22,667,007 times
if it is a job that you want...yes.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 AM

30,742 posts, read 24,166,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeunemployed View Post
I was contacted by a small company at its headquarter for a job interview. There was no mention of any reimbursement and I accepted the job interview request without any questions. The salary is going to 20-30% lower than what I know I can get/have been earning if I can just get through a job interview process successfully without messing something up. However, I know I can't be too picky right now so I've sending my resume to various places such as this one. How would you handle this? It's nearly 3-3.5 hours spent in my car round trip.
I have, and I did not expect any sort of reimbursement. Why would you expect them to pay for your gas, that makes no sense. Mine was 130 mile round trip for an interview. I also had to go back and do tests, still with no guarantee of the job. So I drove it twice before I found out I got it. Not once did it even occur to me that I should be reimbursed...that's absurd.

Is it worth it to you? Do you want to work? Then do it. But I bet you that if you were to ask them to give you gas money, you wouldn't get the job.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:24 AM

618 posts, read 947,868 times
It depends how appealing the job is to you and do you want to live there. Many times a company will be interested in local candidates only. That is why a few candidates use their relatives address on the resume. If you are renting, you can mention that in the interview. This way they know you are willing to move closer.

So ask yourself, do I want the job and will I be able to move there? Honestly, 90 miles is not that far for them to reimburse your miles. 200 miles is a different story.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
video interviews are really not a good substitute for the real thing. they'll do in a pinch, but it's much better to just get there in person if at all possible. the technology just isn't there yet - these things are often glitchy, you have to choose between looking at the camera (and giving the impression of looking the interviewer in the eye) or looking at the other person on the screen and looking like you're looking away from them, there can be sound sync issues, etc. and it's just not possible to connect in the same way that you do in person.

i've turned down offers to do video interviews and opted come in person before - it just depends on how interested i am in the job and where i am in the interview process.

in the end i think i'm better off where i ended up, but i am pretty sure i lost out on a job offer because i had an inside connection and they opted to do my main interview on the phone rather than having me come in.
interesting, a study just came out that backs up my hunch about video interviews:

Video Job Interview May Weaken Your Chances: Scientific American Podcast

Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,617,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
interesting, a study just came out that backs up my hunch about video interviews:

Video Job Interview May Weaken Your Chances: Scientific American Podcast
We will see tomorrow is skype # 2 for me!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:31 PM

I hope it went well! If that's what you have to do, it's what you have to do. But I try to get there in person whenever possible.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,617,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
We will see tomorrow is skype # 2 for me!
I went pretty well. I only had my laptop so I had to minimize his face to scan my resume, normally I have a multi monitor set up. We will see if I advance there is a F2F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search