Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 AM

212 posts, read 1,003,420 times

Advertisements

So I'm getting let go of from my current company and my last day is tomorrow. I would prefer to avoid explaining my job loss (budget reasons) if possible so I'm considering speaking about my job duties in the present tense for applications I plan to send out, as well as in interviews I may schedule for the rest of the month. Next month, I would list September 2013 as the end date on my résumé when applying for jobs. I'm wondering how in depth employers go when running a background check. I heard that they only see months, not specific dates. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i doubt this would be an issue. and i'm usually a stickler for honesty in application materials.

i mean, if you have a fantastic interview tomorrow and you tell them you can start immediately, they are going to get a clue that you're not employed. in fact you should make it clear, because otherwise you look like you're flaking on your current employer. but it's such a tiny amount of time, they'd have to be incredibly nitpicky to make an issue of it.

i do think they can find out your exact end date. most background checks are just done by calling former employers and asking them employment dates. and the former employer certainly could give a month and day. but again, it would take a real jerk to get in a snit over you misrepresenting your end date by a few weeks, especially if you're open and honest about it in the interview (of course you will have the opportunity to address it when they ask you why you're leaving your current job). and it sounds like you're planning to be.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
You will get an even better response, if you put an end date. Some companies will not consider your application, if you are still employed with a client or vendor.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...t-another.html

Old 09-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i doubt this would be an issue. and i'm usually a stickler for honesty in application materials.

i mean, if you have a fantastic interview tomorrow and you tell them you can start immediately, they are going to get a clue that you're not employed. in fact you should make it clear, because otherwise you look like you're flaking on your current employer. but it's such a tiny amount of time, they'd have to be incredibly nitpicky to make an issue of it.

i do think they can find out your exact end date. most background checks are just done by calling former employers and asking them employment dates. and the former employer certainly could give a month and day. but again, it would take a real jerk to get in a snit over you misrepresenting your end date by a few weeks, especially if you're open and honest about it in the interview (of course you will have the opportunity to address it when they ask you why you're leaving your current job). and it sounds like you're planning to be.
I do have two interviews already lined up, but I want to tell them I'm still employed so I can ask for two weeks whenever I get an offer. I'm super burnt out and would like a break from working. Of course, by next month I will have had a few weeks off already so I'll probably be eager to start right away.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
you can ask for 2 weeks regardless. just tell them your preferred start date, you don't need to explain why you need it. generally pushing back your start date a week or 2 is not going to be a huge thing. if they find out you blatantly lied (and you really would have to if you are going to pretend you're still employed in the interview and not just on your resume), it could potentially be a much bigger deal.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Why wouldn't you want to explain the reason for the layoff? Employers might be more sympathetic to your reason. It's not your fault the company couldn't manage their budget! In the meantime, have you filed for unemployment?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Why wouldn't you want to explain the reason for the layoff? Employers might be more sympathetic to your reason. It's not your fault the company couldn't manage their budget! In the meantime, have you filed for unemployment?
Unfortunately, I was a freelancer so I am not eligible for unemployment.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Unfortunately, I was a freelancer so I am not eligible for unemployment.
Ah, me too! Hope you find something soon. Sux to be in that position!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
So I'm getting let go of from my current company and my last day is tomorrow. I would prefer to avoid explaining my job loss (budget reasons) if possible so I'm considering speaking about my job duties in the present tense for applications I plan to send out, as well as in interviews I may schedule for the rest of the month. Next month, I would list September 2013 as the end date on my résumé when applying for jobs. I'm wondering how in depth employers go when running a background check. I heard that they only see months, not specific dates. Is that true?

Nothing wrong with mentioning you loss your job due to budget reasons as long you explain what you learned while you were there and how it will help you in the job you are trying to get.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
I would prefer to avoid explaining my job loss (budget reasons)
I wouldn't avoid that at all. Be upfront with them. I think most folks understand that in this troubling times. besides, what happens next month?

My wife hired for her company and one of the things she always tells me is that when she asks why they are no longer with the company, sometimes it's how they explain it that makes all the difference. One example she gave was that a woman was very up front with her and said she and her boss did not get along; they just clashed. She didn't blame him, but she also didn't take responsibility. When my wife called for a refernce, the lady got a good reference.

Another case had a man answering the same question. She said it was like he was not expected to get asked that question, so he hemmed and hawed and spoke for a minute, but never really answered the question. She didn't bother calling for a reference.

I was in a similiar situation when I was laid off and I was just up front with them. Luckily, in my case, the layoffs made the news, so it made sense to my new employer and I got the job.

In closing, be honest with them; they can usually tell when you aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search