Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, i think there are sometimes legitimate reasons for interviewing outside the office, but i always much prefer to see what a workplace is like before i accept a job there.
Agreed. I have never had an entire interview process outside of an office, but have had several where a few rounds of in-house interviews in the morning were followed by being taken out to lunch by a few staff members to continue the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM

189 posts, read 262,588 times
I had an interview over lunch at a local restaurant once, at first I found it strange however it's a more comfortable enviroment than in an office.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:52 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,627 times
Yes, I don't like it because it can be distracting if it gets loud.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
Yes, I don't like it because it can be distracting if it gets loud.
This and I don't like sharing my personal info in public.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Exactly, the tables are one on top of the other and everyone around you will hear all your business.

In addition places like Starbucks can be hectic and noisy at times.

I don't understand the comments about better than a stuffy office. If you're offered the job you will be working in that "stuffy office". Wouldn't you rather see that office and see what kind of environment you might be working in?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I guarantee you that 99.9% of people sitting around you in a coffee shop who might hear part of your conversation don't care about you or your personal information in the least.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Funny, I never found that a problem. Someone tells you what they look like and you tell them what YOU look like. It does bring to mind the episode of The Office, though, when Michael is meeting his successor (Will Ferrell) in a bar for the first time ...
This can be very awkward & unprofessional IMO. How exactly do you tell an interviewer he will spot you fast you always have the amplest (or most ample?) behind in a crowd. Or that it should be a no brainer to spot you as you are always that one non-white person in the building.

Or how do you say they should watch out for a woman with a struggle pony tail?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This can be very awkward & unprofessional IMO. How exactly do you tell an interviewer he will spot you fast you always have the amplest (or most ample?) behind in a crowd. Or that it should be a no brainer to spot you as you are always that one non-white person in the building.

Or how do you say they should watch out for a woman with a struggle pony tail?
What I have done...........I am the handsome guy with blonde hair wearing these clothes or I text them when I get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search