Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kinds of references do you use
Old Bosses 14 66.67%
Co-workers/Peers 6 28.57%
Subordinates 0 0%
College Peers 0 0%
Personal 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM

32 posts, read 48,819 times

Advertisements

When you have to give references, who do you normally use? Old bosses? Peers? People that worked under you? People from school? Personal (if it's allowed)? Do you have a mix that you think is best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,848,519 times
The best reference: A friend that you trust who you know will say nothing but positive things about you, but have him pretend that he is your former supervisor. Just put down his cell phone number on the application and say that the number belongs to your old boss.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times
Always bosses unless the prospective employer requests personal or peer references, or asks for more references than you can give with just bosses. I don't agree that you should have friends pretend to be supervisors, but you should contact people before using them as references, both to give them a heads up and to check that they will give you a positive reference if you're not sure.

My current employer has a no reference policy and I worked at a lot of places that are now closed, so my references are:

My last boss
A board member from my last job
My main contact at the temp agency where I used to work - it was a long time ago but we are still in touch and she thought I was the best temp ever.
My contact at the nonprofit that funded a community project I headed.

I also offered performance reviews and a coworker as a reference for my current job.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,495,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
The best reference: A friend that you trust who you know will say nothing but positive things about you, but have him pretend that he is your former supervisor. Just put down his cell phone number on the application and say that the number belongs to your old boss.
That's great. One little problem. What happens when their linkedin profile doesn't match what you said

Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM

23,567 posts, read 24,089,586 times
It depends what type of references the company specifically asks for. Some will ask for former bosses, peers, colleagues, customers, etc

Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,861,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It depends what type of references the company specifically asks for. Some will ask for former bosses, peers, colleagues, customers, etc
Agree. If it's not specified, I usually just use former bosses/supervisors. In the past though, I have been asked to provide references from former co-workers/peers, subordinates, collaborators.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,715,693 times
Former bosses is the gold standard for employment references. In my experience and that of my spouse, comments like, "I wish I could have kept him/her," or "I would hire him/her back in a minute," essentially end the reference check, moving the candidate on to the next step.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Former bosses and professors.

I've used peers from work before but it's pretty weak. You should be able to get someone who is above you.

Peers from school? Lol. "Yea. I'm Joe from Jim's accounting class. He's the best thing since sliced bread!"

To be honest, the whole reference system is pretty weak. In my experience, as long as you're not a f@ck up or have a confrontational attitude, most bosses are nice enough people to give you a pretty glowing reference whether you performed average or even slightly below.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,104,208 times
When I'm doing recruiting, I only care about references when I can verify that the person providing the reference is not a dumb***. In the absence of that, I base my review on the actual candidates. Unfortunately, I believe I am in the minority. Most people working in HR are convinced they are doing it right, and that calling someone they have never met who claims to be a supervisor at some company where this person supposedly worked is the ideal way to know if he's the right person.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 AM

402 posts, read 746,337 times
Old bosses and peers with strong titles are best. If it's for a management position, I refer people to my Linked In profile and they can read what people I have managed say about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search