Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM

444 posts, read 820,035 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I have been moving around the country for the past 6-12 months for work. The previous move was easy because we both had temp/contractor jobs in the same company. We both tried to find steady employment relating to our college majors. He found work before I did. We packed everything up and moved to MA. Now, I'm applying in MA and employers have been happy to interview me. But, they ask me "Why are you in MA?". I'm not sure how to respond?

Does it look bad if I say I moved for my relationship? If so, what should I say instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
I moved here for family reasons.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
"I am settling here for family reasons." (Could sound like you have a sick elder, which could mean you aren't staying, or will need lots of time off).
""I'm marrying a man who is settled here."
"This is where we are choosing to settle."
"We always wanted to settle here, and are now doing so." (No need to specify who "we" is, and they can't ask.)

Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I moved here for the employment opportunities. End of story.

You can also add, "And we love the historical significance of MA, and GO Red Sox!"

Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 AM

254 posts, read 597,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend and I have been moving around the country for the past 6-12 months for work. The previous move was easy because we both had temp/contractor jobs in the same company. We both tried to find steady employment relating to our college majors. He found work before I did. We packed everything up and moved to MA. Now, I'm applying in MA and employers have been happy to interview me. But, they ask me "Why are you in MA?". I'm not sure how to respond?

Does it look bad if I say I moved for my relationship? If so, what should I say instead?
Just say your boyfriend got a great job there and you both are planning a more permanent relationship. Tell them you have done some research on that city and the jobs and that you see great opportunities for your self.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Just say your boyfriend got a great job there and you both are planning a more permanent relationship. Tell them you have done some research on that city and the jobs and that you see great opportunities for your self.
There's no need to mention "your boyfriend". Too much information.

Simply:

"I moved here for family reasons."
"I like MA."

It's already too much information as it is. No need to disclose your marriage status, sexual orientation, etc. etc.

Keep in mind, interview is about your job and your ability to do the job. Anything else is irrelevant and can hurt your chance if not careful. Keep non-work related information out so that you can be judged solely on your ability.

I had a candidate coming in and the first thing that came out of his mouth was "I just got divorced and now taking care of 4 kids etc..." The first thing that went through my mind was that this guy must need a lot time off to deal with his kids.

Do not give that to your interviewer. Keep the conversation strictly to business. Work, work, work. Nothing more. It will help you to show that you are a professional.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 05-29-2013 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Although your boyfriend isn't family...family is the reason you moved there. Do not offer any additional information they could use in denying you this position. If you mention your boyfriend they might think something along the lines of "when they break up she's leaving this state" and you don't want to give them that opportunity.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
I would just say I moved here because I know it's a great place for young professionals to start out. That's what I always say - even though I did once foolishly move for love of a boyfriend.

You could also say the cultural significance and diversity played a part in your decision to move - if it applies.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
"I like the Celtics."

Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 PM

265 posts, read 409,381 times
Just lie or reframe like everyone in this thread advised. That's the way to success!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search