Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times

Advertisements

If I had a job not quite six months and I decide it's time to go, (or, they decide to get rid of me which is very likely), can I leave that off of my resume? If I leave it off of my resume, will a future employer somehow find out that I worked there? I know if the job was only a month or so, no big deal but six months?

Should be a nice, quick thread here so I thank anyone with a valid answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
it's very unlikely that they will find out. i leave a job off of my resume because i had it at the same time as another job and it doesn't really relate to my career path. there's nothing wrong with it but i don't see the need to take up the space. i've never had it come up. most employment verification just consists of calling employers to verify dates and possibly salary. sometimes they will request w2s, but they request those from you. if you're not telling them you had the job, they won't have anything to check for or any way to check it.

if you go for a job that requires government security clearance, they might find out.

however, having a 6 month gap can be a problem in itself.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Sorry to hear your government job didn't pan out especially when you seemed so happy at the time.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If I had a job not quite six months and I decide it's time to go, (or, they decide to get rid of me which is very likely), can I leave that off of my resume? If I leave it off of my resume, will a future employer somehow find out that I worked there? I know if the job was only a month or so, no big deal but six months?

Should be a nice, quick thread here so I thank anyone with a valid answer.
Leaving it off the resume is fine, but make sure that you put it on any job application that asks for your work experience to make sure there are no issues with any background checks.

Also, if you have been there for 6 months, I would consider leaving it on the resume if you were able to gain valuable experience. 6 months is well past the 90-day time frame that screams "fired immediately after being hired".

Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it's very unlikely that they will find out. i leave a job off of my resume because i had it at the same time as another job and it doesn't really relate to my career path. there's nothing wrong with it but i don't see the need to take up the space. i've never had it come up. most employment verification just consists of calling employers to verify dates and possibly salary. sometimes they will request w2s, but they request those from you. if you're not telling them you had the job, they won't have anything to check for or any way to check it.

if you go for a job that requires government security clearance, they might find out.

however, having a 6 month gap can be a problem in itself.
Hmmm...it's a state government job but I don't think I have a security clearance. Actually, I know I didn't for this job.

And I have no gaps even if I leave it off because I still have my Federal government job that I've had for almost two years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Sorry to hear your government job didn't pan out especially when you seemed so happy at the time.
The state one SUCKS! I hate it so much it's not even funny. It's not the right job for me and it's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Leaving it off the resume is fine, but make sure that you put it on any job application that asks for your work experience to make sure there are no issues with any background checks.

Also, if you have been there for 6 months, I would consider leaving it on the resume if you were able to gain valuable experience. 6 months is well past the 90-day time frame that screams "fired immediately after being hired".
Hmmm...since most places are requiring an application, (even this gov job and my Fed gov job required an application), I guess that's what I'm asking: Not tell them I had it at all.

How would they know I work there?

Valuable experience...LOL....well, no, not really. Unless I can put I learned that some jobs just aren't worth the money.

And the probation period is six months so that isn't even over yet.

Edit: That leads me to another question: If I am fired from a state gov job, does that mean I get no unenjoyment benefits?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
it varies a bit from state to state, but generally if you're fired from any job for cause, you aren't eligible for unemployment. you can still apply and maybe they won't dispute it, but if they do, they'll win. i'm not sure if a state government job will be more or less likely to do that.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM

If there are no gaps and there is no experience in it that you feel better off including, leave it off. Just make sure you add it if there is an application.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
It's up to you what you want to add. Most put on what pertains to the job. And employers can't give you a bad reference unless you did something illegal. They can just state the time frame that you worked and what position you had.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It's up to you what you want to add. Most put on what pertains to the job. And employers can't give you a bad reference unless you did something illegal. They can just state the time frame that you worked and what position you had.
Unless you are in Connecticut, this advice is 100% incorrect.

PLEASE make sure you know what you are talking about before advising.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Ok, I'm going to leave it off.

If they do a background check, that's for driving violations, (I'm assuming), criminal records, credit and they can check with the employers I do put down to see if I actually worked there when I said I did. How would they know I worked some place if I don't tell them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search