Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times

Advertisements

Well I applied for a job with the city back in July and the process is still going on and something tells me that this position was scheduled to begin in January

7/31-applied to job
9/21-called for a interview
9/25-1st interview
10/15-called for a second interview
10/17-second interview cancelled
10/19-called and 2nd interview scheduled
10/25-2nd interview
10/26-asked for the email addresses of my references
10/29-Hurricane Sandy forced the company to close on 10/29 and 10/30
11/5-Received a email from the lady letting me all my references were emailed
11/5-One of my references told me she received the email and responded
11/9-My second reference responded and said she received the email and responded on the 9th
11/12-Company closed due to holiday
11/16-Lady emailed me today to let me know my 3rd reference has not responded yet but the other 2 responded.

And by the way she ended her email with have a Happy Holiday Thanksgiving Holiday leads me to believe that she is off all next week. Which means I should take off job hunting until 11/26. LOL

It's very frustrating that a damm Hurricane has delayed this process but I;m staying positive.

Last edited by FBJ; 11-16-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Its been a very long process indeed. I am guessing they are replacing somebody who is retiring or is leaving on maternity or something. I see no other reason why they would accept applications in July but not be ready to hire until after November. Its slow for sure, but it sounds like they are interested in you.

Tell your 3rd reference to email them back already!! Geesh.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Its been a very long process indeed. I am guessing they are replacing somebody who is retiring or is leaving on maternity or something. I see no other reason why they would accept applications in July but not be ready to hire until after November. Its slow for sure, but it sounds like they are interested in you.

Tell your 3rd reference to email them back already!! Geesh.

I asked the 3rd reference did he get the reference form and he said no. So the lady asked me would I like to submit another person and I told her yes.

Luckily I thought of someone last night and was able to get all her information

And I;m guessing the first 2 references came back fine or she wouldn't be asking for me to submit another one. And it sounds like she is off next week based on her Have a happy thanksgiving email.

My question is why did she wait so late in the week and day to send me that email? Why send that on a friday at 3:55pm and instead of 10am or Thursday at 10am?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I asked the 3rd reference did he get the reference form and he said no. So the lady asked me would I like to submit another person and I told her yes.

Luckily I thought of someone last night and was able to get all her information

And I;m guessing the first 2 references came back fine or she wouldn't be asking for me to submit another one. And it sounds like she is off next week based on her Have a happy thanksgiving email.

My question is why did she wait so late in the week and day to send me that email? Why send that on a friday at 3:55pm and instead of 10am or Thursday at 10am?
She was probably busy and you were probably not her number 1 concern.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
She was probably busy and you were probably not her number 1 concern.

Yes probably so but if I get a email like that at 10am I can respond quicker and maybe she will get that response from the 3rd reference before the close of business.

Now the way it looks she won't send the email until either 11/19 or 11/26 and this will drag into the 1st week of December.

The only thing to feel good about heading into this weekend is that the first 2 references came back positive because if they didn't she wouldn't care if the 3rd reference didn't respond

Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yes probably so but if I get a email like that at 10am I can respond quicker and maybe she will get that response from the 3rd reference before the close of business.

Now the way it looks she won't send the email until either 11/19 or 11/26 and this will drag into the 1st week of December.

The only thing to feel good about heading into this weekend is that the first 2 references came back positive because if they didn't she wouldn't care if the 3rd reference didn't respond
Not necessarily. There are likely some EEOC issues that require this organization (publicly funded?) to formally put shortlisted candidates through the entire process and document everything before making an offer, so there are no accusations of unfairness. Three references required means three references must be collected and filed for the record. Every candidate will be required to do the same, but only one will get the offer.

I would not count my chickens if I were you.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
You think that's bad? I applied for a job in November of 2007, and didn't get the job until September of 2008. Now THAT is slow!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
You think that's bad? I applied for a job in November of 2007, and didn't get the job until September of 2008. Now THAT is slow!
But you got the job!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Not necessarily. There are likely some EEOC issues that require this organization (publicly funded?) to formally put shortlisted candidates through the entire process and document everything before making an offer, so there are no accusations of unfairness. Three references required means three references must be collected and filed for the record. Every candidate will be required to do the same, but only one will get the offer.

I would not count my chickens if I were you.

Well it's the only chicken right now so I have no choice. And If I don't get it I just get for the new year, no big deal

Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
But you got the job!
Yes I did, that's what I'm trying to say, that compared to others, it's not that long of a time! Specially for a really good job.

Oh and btw, in that time, I accepted another job making solutions and doing grunt work in a lab, then left as soon as I got this job. I think I did that lab job for 4 months before leaving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search