Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 PM

266 posts, read 402,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
ya, its crazy the way people manage their businesses! and they wonder why they can't find good hard employees. Well duh, take a look around. lol.

I am still curious about what employers mean when they say I don't have enough experience after job interviews where they saw my experience on my app/resume. What is that about?

Also, I just noticed a place I had an interview at a couple months ago is hiring again. I'll give them a call and ask them if they would consider me.
Maybe they wanted to interview you out of curiosity/exploring their options and didn't think you clicked with what they are looking for, so the lack of experience thing is the cop-out excuse? Can't really think of much else, the job hunt is an illogical one. But good idea to give them a call, being proactive is always a good thing, esp. in the eyes of employers. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
Maybe they wanted to interview you out of curiosity/exploring their options and didn't think you clicked with what they are looking for, so the lack of experience thing is the cop-out excuse? Can't really think of much else, the job hunt is an illogical one. But good idea to give them a call, being proactive is always a good thing, esp. in the eyes of employers. Good luck

That's possible. The one job that turned me down (I made a thread about it regarding thank you notes) said they really liked me and thought I was very nice, but that I just didn't have enough experience and that they'll keep me in mind for the future. The manager was very nice about it and almost sounded bummed that she had to turn me down due to lack of experience. I just found it very odd cause its advertised as "on the job training" and I'm going to school for pretty much what the job entailed so I thought at least the schooling would help but it didn't. Plus it was front desk (hoped I could advance into other areas of the practice later on), if I can operate a computer, fax machine, phone, be friendly with patients, etc..anything else can be taught. I guess they didn't see it that way.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:04 PM

155 posts, read 348,017 times
Quote:
second scenario which I'm less peeved about because I get it, but its still annoying. My experience level is pretty clear on my job app/resumes and is even discussed in interviews. so when I interview for jobs offering "on the job training" or even get called in for an interview despite whatever experience level an employer is looking for, I don't get the job due to my "lack of experience". Are they telling the truth or is it possibly something else that they don't feel comfortable divulging?
Quote:
I am still curious about what employers mean when they say I don't have enough experience after job interviews where they saw my experience on my app/resume. What is that about?

Through the interview process, they may have a candidate in mind who has experience. They also may be interviewing the rest of the applicants - including yourself - to see if there is anyone more qualified - with or without experience.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
Through the interview process, they may have a candidate in mind who has experience. They also may be interviewing the rest of the applicants - including yourself - to see if there is anyone more qualified - with or without experience.
I've actually seen this happen. What could be happening is that they don't care that much for the person with the experience so they are just shaking the bushes hoping they can maybe find someone else that will fit by having them in for an interview. Even with on-the-job training, they benefit from finding someone with experience. Employers can be really inconsiderate and hopefully, it comes back to bite them in the butt!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM

72 posts, read 224,830 times
At mid-sized or large employers, they don't actually read the applications or resumes, I thought this was common knowledge? There is a reason they make you apply online, your resume goes through a filtering program that is programmed to look for certain predetermined keywords and the applications that come back as having the highest amount of desired keywords (like a specific "degree" or knowing how to use "X" program) might actually get reviewed by a hiring committee. It would make no sense and be practically impossible manpower-wise for employers to try to read the thousands of applications that come in for a few positions. When you're job hunting, you learn this (or you're supposed to), and you learn what keywords to include in your application for whatever job you're trying to get in your field. Of course you don't want to outright lie because if you make yourself look like a great candidate and they bring you in for an interview, you have to back up all of those keywords and prove you are who you were on paper (or in this case, on a screen).

Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
At mid-sized or large employers, they don't actually read the applications or resumes, I thought this was common knowledge? There is a reason they make you apply online, your resume goes through a filtering program that is programmed to look for certain predetermined keywords and the applications that come back as having the highest amount of desired keywords (like a specific "degree" or knowing how to use "X" program) might actually get reviewed by a hiring committee. It would make no sense and be practically impossible manpower-wise for employers to try to read the thousands of applications that come in for a few positions. When you're job hunting, you learn this (or you're supposed to), and you learn what keywords to include in your application for whatever job you're trying to get in your field. Of course you don't want to outright lie because if you make yourself look like a great candidate and they bring you in for an interview, you have to back up all of those keywords and prove you are who you were on paper (or in this case, on a screen).

Exactly, the only time someone reads your resume is when you send the resume to a direct email address.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Exactly, the only time someone reads your resume is when you send the resume to a direct email address.
Even then, human eyes only "skim" your resume.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
2nd Interview on Monday while another company is checking my references.
Excellent! Sending positive vibes your way.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Last two employers had my resume in hand. They read through it to ask questions and get details. A past employer confirmed that both gave them a call. Why would a potential employer not read your resume? Employment is not a matter of selecting the prettiest face... It's a matter of hiring the worker who will make the company the most money on their time relative to the wage offered. Resumes tend to shed light on the potential return on the potential worker's time.

I just find it bizarre that people think there is some sort of conspiracy at hand... If your references suggest you are a real money maker, you basically have the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Even then, human eyes only "skim" your resume.
That sounds like laziness. Lazy workers don't make money for anyone. Companies who hire lazy workers also don't do very well. Best not to work for these types of companies. I'd rather work for the company that reads every inch of my resume, and expects me to work just as hard for them. Those are the companies who have the best potential to offer a decent wage/salary.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,239,128 times
I've put out at least 50 applications over the last few years. Got interviews on two separate occasions with two different Home Depot stores. Once they found out that I had a job and was just looking for some night and weekend hours, I never heard back. I had one other interview with another local hardware store, same story.

After applying quite a bit over the last 3 years, I finally got a callback for a full-time job oppurtunity, 2nd interview this week, wish me luck!

So 3 years, at least 50 applications, and 3 interviews for a part time job, and 1 for a full time job. That has really depressed me, but now I don't feel so bad, seems like a lot of people have had the same luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search