Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,976,185 times

Advertisements

So I just had an interview for a commercial insurance account manager position. It's a field job so I'd have a company car, laptop, etc and would be pretty much out on my own the vast majority of the time which I like. I have insurance experience but no insurance sales experience.

The manager asked me what I expect to make and what to make. I stated I want to make at least 50k and hope to make 70k. He said 70k from the phone conservation we had on Monday. He then said most of this guys in the area make 100k. It's a pretty big company and its not 100% commission.

It went pretty well but he ended with, "I don't think you have enough hunger to make 100k. I have a few more interviews this week. Think it over and let me know what you want to do by the end of the week."

He had a real salesman swagger about him. He reviewed my resume before calling so he knew my history. Its like he insulted me yet is still interested? Like a have potential but wants to make sure he won't waste my time with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,454 times
He's not going to turn you down. They never do with 100% commission. They have no risk.

If you really want this job, you've got it. But he's letting you know you've got to hook 'em.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Its not 100%. Theres a base salary plus bonuses...

Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,454 times
O. Still he left it in your court. He wants someone to kick @55 and that's the message he gave you. Give it a day or so and call back eager.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
What he wanted you to do was this......................Close him before you leave the interview. Show him you are a strong closer. When I really want a job, and I read the manager is old school like yours, I never leave without saying, " Thank you for your time what's the next step, I want this opportunity so I can start on Monday " I BS you not. I have had newer, yourger sales manager chuckle when I did that, and I repeated " No I am serious is there any reason you wouldn't recommend me for this position? " If they hesitate I like that it gives me a chance to flush out their objection and overcome it right then and there. You don't think I will be remembered over all the other guys whom just shook hands and said thanks?

It works with a lot of sales managers esp if they are over 45. They are old school and want someone to sell them that ballpoint pen or they don't feel you can sell without their micromanagement. Find a way to get back in front of the manager and close that guy. You could pretend to bump into him at Starbucks and offer to buy him some coffee or something. This is sales get clever friend.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 PM

I can see. I was a bit hesitant because of the "work is your life" vibe I was getting from this job. I don't mind working hard or over 40 hours but I don't want it to be the norm. I don't want to work 60 hours a week to hit monthly quotas and whatnot.

I have a different job lined up so it's a tough pick.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I can see. I was a bit hesitant because of the "work is your life" vibe I was getting from this job. I don't mind working hard or over 40 hours but I don't want it to be the norm. I don't want to work 60 hours a week to hit monthly quotas and whatnot.

I have a different job lined up so it's a tough pick.
Sales is a 60+ hour a week job, but then I also got lot of freedom that normal employees don't have. Leave office when I want, leave on Friday at 3, but the day before I was there til 7PM. You are a business within a business when you are in sales. If you want 40 hours don't go into sales, but then don't compare when sales people can make 100k, because they work hard for it.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,340 times
For a sales interview the ending of the interview and your answer were not good. In a sales interview anytime the interviewer asks how much money you want to make the only answer is "as much as possible".

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Hmmm yea, this was my first sales job interview. Part of me thinks hes full of BS. He went from 70k on the phone call on Monday to 100k today in person.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
It's sales! Of course, it's BS. He was selling you on the job. You were supposed to close him, as others mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search