Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 11,315 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I stumbled across this website/forum as I have a very Sticky Situation with a Resignation / Counter Offer

I gave my 3 week notice, last week. And I was offered an unexpected sizable counter offer; that left me very shocked. However, I have a HUGE problem at hand, which is - I never received an offer letter to begin with, from this company I referenced. That said, it was just made up, because I was VERY stressed out in my situation at work.

Now that my current employer gave me this counter offer, it notes that it is Contingent upon receipt of the other firms offer letter... I don't know what to do at this point, it seems as though I only have 2 options, 1) it’s either that I don't accept the counter and resign on the date noted (which i don't want to neither..), or 2) I make up my own offer letter to provide to my current boss (which I really don’t want to do, as I’m sure it will open up a legal matter.. As they (HR) would probably call to verify and confirm whether if this company did in fact send me an offer letter, right?

I also explained to my employer that this company DID NOT provide me with an offer letter, because they lost someone upon a situation just like this, by giving their current employer a copy of the offer letter they received, just to gas their current employer to issue a counter offer.. But still, they insisted that I need to obtain this offer letter, and I don’t know what to do???

My last and final option, was to create an offer letter from my family business (small business, to be provided to my manager, and the HR department, but I wasn’t too sure on this one..

Please help me!!!

Best Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 PM

362 posts, read 821,408 times
Do you have any friends in a supervisory role at a legit company that could prepare a superficial offer for you?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,316,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Do you have any friends in a supervisory role at a legit company that could prepare a superficial offer for you?
That would have to be a very good friend. They would be risking their job.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,653,833 times
Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive!

If I am understanding you correctly, you *lied* about having another offer because you were fed up with your job?

Now, you want to continue and lie more to extract a counter offer from your present employer?

Please keep in mind, whatever reasons brought you to deciding you were going to QUIT your job without another position in hand is NOT going to change with the introduction of a counter offer. In fact, they know that you are ready to move on and they would be foolish to continue to further invest in you knowing you will be ready to jump at any given point. It's basically a no win. Most people I have known (and I believe this is also research supports) end up leaving the company within less than a year. Either lay off, either new job, either firing, etc.

Lies on the scale that you are speaking of are not going to be easy to pull off. And I imagine if found out-- which if they are calling for the offer letters of companies means that they may do more than just say oh.. look an offer letter-- you would be immediately fired.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 AM

12,137 posts, read 23,476,153 times
What made you resign? Is the raise the reason you want to stay? If anyone is going to lie for you, it might be your family? Why don't you just leave , like you originally intended to do?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM

I'm going to change tacts on you, your wife did not file for divorce because of two months of stress from this job. This divorce notion has been a long time coming and whatever stress you brought home was the final nail in the coffin. Instead of employed and divorced, you are going to be unemployed and divorced.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,715,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'm going to change tacts on you, your wife did not file for divorce because of two months of stress from this job. This divorce notion has been a long time coming and whatever stress you brought home was the final nail in the coffin.
Are you this guy's marriage counselor or something? Give me a break!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 AM

10,648 posts, read 12,270,884 times
At this point your best bet is the 'counter offer' from the family business.. and they'd better back you up if they get a call to check it out. They should not volunteer any information that's not asked. Just have them 'confirm' what's in the letter, that's it.

I suppose you could always just stick with 'they won't give me a letter' -- and then you current boss would say well you can't get a raise then. But I wonder about the taste that would leave in the mouth......so to speak.

You do have a job...so you don't have to leave this one now. Do you think you might want to leave and/or really look for another gig? Or was this your 'forever job'...until your lost your common sense reasoning and this stress hit you.?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Are you this guy's marriage counselor or something? Give me a break!

No, I am trying to open him up to the possibility that this is a much bigger issue than he realized or wrote about, and, to me, it doesn't sound like the job issue will address his concerns.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,864,656 times
I am confused. You made up the entire thing about another offer? Why did you quit? How are you planning on supporting your family?

I would go back to your company and said you chose NOT to leave your job because you find it sketchy that your 'new company' will not even provide you with an offer letter. Use this as a learning lesson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search