Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times

Advertisements

You know, I'm currently searching for a new Job and I am really frustrated with one particular aspect of the application process that has seemed to evolve over time. That aspect is the fact that the personal touch if you will, has been completely removed from it.

Any job I see that I would actually like to apply for now requests that you send resumes and inquiries toa P.O. Box or through e-mail or something like that, some even specificly requesting no drop-ins or calls. This really upsets me because I don't exactly have the most impressive of resumes but that doesn't mean that I am not qualified or able to do the job, or that I dont have the desire. The thing is, now, there is no way to show that "desire"

Someone with a great resume but a poor attitude seems to be more likely to get a job than someone with a weak resume but a strong desire to have it.

What ever happened to the days where you could walk in and fill out a paper application, and then request to see the hiring manager if they weren't too busy and shake their hand and introduce yourself?

For these reasons, it would appear that many of us are doomed....... restricted to paper and ink or an inbox message.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 01:37 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Why not make a list of the places/companies/institutions you want to work for, and see if you can talk to whoever is in charge, whether or not they are actually hiring.

Have you looked up the companies website, and looked to see who might be in charge?

Not all jobs are listed as do not call or contact.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Times change, the internet and personnel management software are more efficient and reduces the staff needed to operate. We require all applications and resumes through our website, and everything is recorded and monitored through our software. Still, every resume is reviewed by the HR person assigned and the hiring managers. The nice thing for me is that when I get 135 applications for one position I can read them online and then print those that I like best for further review and comparison. Another benefit is that since every job requires the use of a computer, applicants are required to demonstrate at least some small competence just to apply. There is plenty of
"personal touch" once the list is reduced to those being interviewed. Managers still have to deal with staff and other work responsibilities every day, we can't drop everything for 2-3 weeks to talk to everyone that applies.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Times change, the internet and personnel management software are more efficient and reduces the staff needed to operate. We require all applications and resumes through our website, and everything is recorded and monitored through our software. Still, every resume is reviewed by the HR person assigned and the hiring managers. The nice thing for me is that when I get 135 applications for one position I can read them online and then print those that I like best for further review and comparison. Another benefit is that since every job requires the use of a computer, applicants are required to demonstrate at least some small competence just to apply. There is plenty of
"personal touch" once the list is reduced to those being interviewed. Managers still have to deal with staff and other work responsibilities every day, we can't drop everything for 2-3 weeks to talk to everyone that applies.
It just feels to robotic to me to apply to a job online and that's why I will never do it. If i can't email you then I won't be applying for the job. Kind of like if I wanted to cold call a company I would get a automated response instead of a live person and I can't deal with it

Old 03-10-2012, 07:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You're only looking at from a corporate point of view.

I was in CVS and someone who had filled out an online application was trying to follow up. He probably should have asked for a manager as the cashier was of no help.

After he left I asked the cashier well who reviews these online apps? How does someone get hired? He didn't know.

I said to him it's amazing anyone can get hired anymore in stores like this.

It used to be someone could walk into a store and ask for an application, fill it out, and if the manager had time possibly get an interiew.

It has gotten way too complicated for people looking for low end retail jobs.

And I believe that is what the OP is talking about, not corporate office jobs.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're only looking at from a corporate point of view.

I was in CVS and someone who had filled out an online application was trying to follow up. He probably should have asked for a manager as the cashier was of no help.

After he left I asked the cashier well who reviews these online apps? How does someone get hired? He didn't know.

I said to him it's amazing anyone can get hired anymore in stores like this.

It used to be someone could walk into a store and ask for an application, fill it out, and if the manager had time possibly get an interiew.

It has gotten way too complicated for people looking for low end retail jobs.

And I believe that is what the OP is talking about, not corporate office jobs.
So did you ask the cashier...."you don't know how you got hired?"

Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,944,075 times
I got my current job from CL. My resume, although impressive 12 years ago, doesn't impress much any longer - as my past field is now all but defunct (drafting/CAD).

My boss got tired of great resumes and poor attitudes. He decided to try CL to "see what happened". I got the job... not because of my experience (though it did relate, albeit not in an obvious way), but because of my attitude. As he said in the interview, he can teach anyone the technical stuff, but you either have the right attitude or you don't.

Flash forward to me 5 weeks later. I have a job I love. Coworkers that have abysmal attitudes (though thankfully, my contact with them is slight as I work directly in the client's office). The client is reviewing the contract and I have been a bit worried that I'd lose my job if they went with another company. Thankfully, my attitude has made an impression on them - and they approached me this week, asking if I'd stay on, even if they switch companies. It will mean I technically have a different boss, work for a different company. They want to hire me directly, but their contract prohibits this. I said I'm open to it. My current boss is aware (told me this might happen, but I didn't tell them the client did approach me this week) and said he'd let me switch, for my sake... again, a product of attitude.

The right cover letter is crucial on CL. Although companies ask for them, some ignore them and go straight to the resume. Companies hiring on CL tend to be looking for something more than a resume.

Of course, this is just my experience. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I got my current job from CL. My resume, although impressive 12 years ago, doesn't impress much any longer - as my past field is now all but defunct (drafting/CAD).

My boss got tired of great resumes and poor attitudes. He decided to try CL to "see what happened". I got the job... not because of my experience (though it did relate, albeit not in an obvious way), but because of my attitude. As he said in the interview, he can teach anyone the technical stuff, but you either have the right attitude or you don't.

Flash forward to me 5 weeks later. I have a job I love. Coworkers that have abysmal attitudes (though thankfully, my contact with them is slight as I work directly in the client's office). The client is reviewing the contract and I have been a bit worried that I'd lose my job if they went with another company. Thankfully, my attitude has made an impression on them - and they approached me this week, asking if I'd stay on, even if they switch companies. It will mean I technically have a different boss, work for a different company. They want to hire me directly, but their contract prohibits this. I said I'm open to it. My current boss is aware (told me this might happen, but I didn't tell them the client did approach me this week) and said he'd let me switch, for my sake... again, a product of attitude.

The right cover letter is crucial on CL. Although companies ask for them, some ignore them and go straight to the resume. Companies hiring on CL tend to be looking for something more than a resume.

Of course, this is just my experience. Good luck in your search.

I thought only temp agencies looked at CL.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,944,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I thought only temp agencies looked at CL.
Nope. The first job I got was from a small business owner.

The second (and current) was for a national company, Fortune 500 company... "corporate office job". I'm not a temp... I work out of the client's office and provide service on behalf of my company directly to the client. I can't say too much more without giving the company away, and I'd like my employer to remain fairly anonymous.

I passed my experiences on to friends and our pastor's wife just got a job, through CL... also, not a temp. Her new employer is a small business owner.

I've posted before about my boss's reasons for looking on CL... he was desperate to find the "right" person for this client. Unfortunately for him, the client I'm with is uncomfortable with the rest of the company's employees (not hired from CL, all have the "right" degree and experience, btw). Though the contact with them is limited, it is always unpleasant, hence the search for a new vendor.

Edited to add: I applied for this same position via the more respected avenues first... and didn't call a call or interview. Same resume, same cover letter. *shrug* go figure! He interviewed more than 15 people from those sites... and only me from CL (though he received 100+ resumes in the first hour it was listed) He put the ad on CL after those interviews didn't net him what he was looking for

Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Nope. The first job I got was from a small business owner.

The second (and current) was for a national company, Fortune 500 company... "corporate office job". I'm not a temp... I work out of the client's office and provide service on behalf of my company directly to the client. I can't say too much more without giving the company away, and I'd like my employer to remain fairly anonymous.

I passed my experiences on to friends and our pastor's wife just got a job, through CL... also, not a temp. Her new employer is a small business owner.

I've posted before about my boss's reasons for looking on CL... he was desperate to find the "right" person for this client. Unfortunately for him, the client I'm with is uncomfortable with the rest of the company's employees (not hired from CL, all have the "right" degree and experience, btw). Though the contact with them is limited, it is always unpleasant, hence the search for a new vendor.
I never seen a Cover Letter on CL only resumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search