Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't show it to him. Along with all of the other confidential information people mentioned, it has your SS number on it too. You aren't required to give confidential information to a company until after you are hired. Never give a social security number on an application unless it's after you are hired. Who is to say this is a real position and this isn't an identity thief. I'd make a copy and use permanent black marker blacking out every single line item and information on the stub except for your name. I'd tell him to take a hike but that's me.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-14-2012 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
I like the following solution to your delema:

Quote:
Explain "the policy".

You may find that uppity personnel jockeys (and some officious hiring managers) will still insist that you reveal your secrets. And that's where you draw the line with some officiousness of your own. A very smart Ask The Headhunter reader has offered up a shield — and it's impenetrable. His salary information, he politely explains, is subject to the confidentiality agreement he signed with his present (or past) employer. "I'm not permitted to divulge the terms of my employment agreement. That includes my compensation plan." Read your own employment agreement, or your company's employee manual, and you will likely find that certain information including salary is "company confidential". You simply are not permitted to tell anyone what your company pays you. Even bureaucrats understand that.

Regardless of how you protect yourself, the key to creating a rational compensation deal requires both you and the employer to step away from surveys and curves to focus on this job and on you. Sure, the employer may start by reviewing industry salary surveys, and you may do the same. But, these are statistical tools to help you both do your homework — not decision tools that limit your negotiations.

Ask The Headhunter: Keep Your Salary Under Wraps

Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times
I agree, I would not provide it, but I suspect, that will end their interest in the OP. So while that would not alter my decision, I'd be doing it eyes wide open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search