Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,182 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Could someone tell me how long it usually takes to get a job offer approved? I was already told verbally that I was selected for the job, but it would take a couple of weeks to get the offer approved by upper management. Last Friday was two, weeks and they told me they were close to an offer, but it may be another week. What on earth could be taking this long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Most of our offers are delayed because we are waiting for them to get through HR/reviewed by the EEOC person. Then they may or may not sit on a VP's desk for awhile.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:21 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
I think it depends. Sometimes HR/low level management have to iron things out with upper level management, which may be the reason(s) for this delay. I remember when I was offered a position last year, it took about a week later than it usually would for the official offer to hit my desk. That was because the lower level managers were trying to get more perks for me from upper level management, who seemed intent on eliminating the position altogether. As a result, I ended up not accepting the position because they wanted to turn it into a 1099 with the same salary as a regular employee. No thanks!

I would take the HR rep/manager at their word and not worry about it too much. They have not forgotten you.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM

994 posts, read 1,831,480 times
It really depends on the company. One time for a job it took me two months to hear back. The job I got back, it took less than a week to get the job offer.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
1) I would take every word they say with a grain of salt. This is an awkward time when most lies are been told by employers (not that they don't lie at other times).
2) Everything (including all the above scenarios) may be possible. Another (unpleasant) possibility is that they made an offer to another candidate and are in a process of negotiating, but don't want to lose you in case the other offer doesn't work. Be prepared for every scenario. I dealt with a company which had an unexpected hiring freeze. They didn't want to tell candidates about that and kept us waiting. A friend of mine, waited a long time for clearance and background check. Then their VP went away for a long time. After several months my friend got the offer, but they demanded he should start working the very next day, since everything was long overdue!
3) As hard as it is, you need patience. Just remind them from time to time (without sounding desperate), that you are waiting.
4) Good luck!

Last edited by oberon_1; 06-27-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 02:07 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
For my last job, I heard back the day following the interview. They knew I would need two weeks notice, so I think that's why they rushed things. Other jobs have taken me 4-5 days to hear back. I imagine this varies depending on the type of job, the wage offered, ect.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:06 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,182 times
I appreciate the comments everyone. I'm just ready to get some results one way or the other. This wait is killing me. I'm just going to assume I didn't get it and just be pleasantly surprised if they call.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 03:15 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I appreciate the comments everyone. I'm just ready to get some results one way or the other. This wait is killing me. I'm just going to assume I didn't get it and just be pleasantly surprised if they call.

Thanks
Me personally, I would continue searching for jobs. You may miss a better opportunity, and your leveraging against the risk that they won't call back. Too many times, people get the interview and stop looking until they know for sure.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Don't even think about how long it takes for a government job...I think that the HR departments there move on Geologic time.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM

43 posts, read 358,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Hello everyone,

Could someone tell me how long it usually takes to get a job offer approved? I was already told verbally that I was selected for the job, but it would take a couple of weeks to get the offer approved by upper management. Last Friday was two, weeks and they told me they were close to an offer, but it may be another week. What on earth could be taking this long?
I am in the same situation. I interviewed last week, they told me they would make an offer and it's been delayed because the CEO is traveling and cannot review all the paperwork. I tell myself that it's a matter of days, I just need to be patient and remember that this is still a very good situation because after all, getting an offer even if it takes time to be official is great news!!! Congratulations!!! And good luck with your new job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search