Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,546 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I heard from a potential employer Monday, and they scheduled an interview for Wednesday. Long story short, the HR rep has written me daily since then and bumped the interview back four times now. It is a bit frustrating, but I'm trying to keep my cool. However, now I'm starting to wonder if I should take that as a red flag. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:54 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
If the reason for the reschedules is due to illness of the interviewer it is not. I can't think of any other reason that would not throw up red flags for me.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Hi all,
I heard from a potential employer Monday, and they scheduled an interview for Wednesday. Long story short, the HR rep has written me daily since then and bumped the interview back four times now. It is a bit frustrating, but I'm trying to keep my cool. However, now I'm starting to wonder if I should take that as a red flag. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Probably not. Besides, what difference could it make? Will it affect your attitude during the interview? Do you have other offers?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
I'm not sure what it is... but I was wondering if it might have something to do with how the office is run. I wasn't given a reason. I don't have any offers right now, and I would still do my best at the interview.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what it is... but I was wondering if it might have something to do with how the office is run. I wasn't given a reason. I don't have any offers right now, and I would still do my best at the interview.
I can understand how it might throw up red flags as to the office environment. Maybe they've just been so over scheduled/over booked that they've had a hard time without your position being filled that they've had a hard time actually fitting you in. Or, there's been something major going on that was unscheduled that came up.

I'd try to go in with a good attitude but keep my eyes open for any other things that may be of question. But, be positive!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:43 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Take it as a red flag and keep it pushing.

Others will probably say go for it if you have nothing else going on, but um.. they don't seem that desperate to hire anyone if you ask me.

I've learned that when things don't run "smoothly' and there are a bunch of "bumps" in the road, then it's not meant to be AT THIS TIME.

Let it go.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
It could me they already have who they want.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 PM

Yeah... I'm not sure if it's something bad or just unfortunate timing. I did hear from another company today and set up an interview for next week... so provided the previously mentioned company doesn't bump it back again I'll have two back-to-back interviews next week.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I once had an interview scheduled with a manager who was very disorganized and unprofessional. I arrived to discover that he was out of town on a business trip. He forgot to cancel the interview. A subordinate manager interviewed me and hired me without even consulting him. It was hillarious actually. His staff was so fed up with him, they started doing whatever they wanted. It was one of the best jobs I ever had. The staff was fantastic. The moral of this story: it could be a red flag that they are very disorganized, but it doesn't mean that you don't have a chance at being hired once they finally get around to interviewing you.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
If the reason for the reschedules is due to illness of the interviewer it is not. I can't think of any other reason that would not throw up red flags for me.
Agreed, although I'd add death in the family or other serious personal tragedy or event to the mix as well. If someone's house burned to the ground and was a total loss, it might take a couple of weeks before they were really back in the saddle and ready to begin interviewing again.

I've pushed back an interview in the past, but never more than once, and I gave the candidate a reason for it. (I was sick with a respiratory infection and had no voice--not really conducive to conducting an interview. I rescheduled for the following week.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search