Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 PM

37 posts, read 323,694 times

Advertisements

From someone who is broke, in serious debt and unemployed:

My parents say I have not worked hard enough on finding a good job. They are from the generation that says if someone is smart enough, tough enough and persistant enough good things will always happen in good time. They say I just have to be a better job applicant. And work harder and smarter on my job search.

Spend more time with resume experts, professional writers and at the library researching and developing the perfect resume

More time researching the perfect job search plan and identifying local companies who need someone like me.

More time on the phone calling potential networking contacts

More time on the phone calling companies

More time on the Internet looking for job opportunities on websites.

More time developing interview talking points.
-----
So do you truly believe that if you worked twice as hard at your job search you would find a job sooner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,947,551 times
Yes. You would also at least have a job so that you could start paying down your debt. But, all those resources have nothing to do with your skills in the first place. If you don't have a good work ethic and attitude it doesn't matter who you consult with, you will continue to not have a job and go even further into debt.

So, prove them wrong with the misnomers of your generation, get a job and start getting rid of that debt.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Serious Debt View Post
From someone who is broke, in serious debt and unemployed:
Did the house sale didn't go through after all? I remember your thread in the Personal Finance forum about your credit score.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:27 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
My parents say I have not worked hard enough on finding a good job.
Before we go any further, how old are you and do you live at home with them?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
You need to treat looking for a job as you are working at a job. The looking itself is a full time position and the hours dedicated to it should really be no different than if you were working.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Quote:
-----
So do you truly believe that if you worked twice as hard at your job search you would find a job sooner?
Since we don't know how hard you worked to start with this is hard to answer. If someone was really lazy to start with working twice as hard doesn't mean a whole lot.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
OP, I took the liberty of looking at your posting history after what Skeet said. If you're about to sell your house, clear 60K in debt by dashing off a few checks, and still have $60K left over, I think you're a big boy and your parents should be quiet and mind their own business. Seriously. You're an adult and you're no financial burden to them. If they pester you, either let it go in one ear and out the other or tell them flat out that you are perfectly capable of handling life as an adult and when you want their advice, you'll ask for it.

Use that $60K to get a small apartment and conduct your job search as you see fit. Trust me on this, as I've done it myself. You'll have a much clearer head without parental nagging.

And to address your question: I'm of the mind that anyone who says "just work harder" is out of touch. There are millions of Americans spending 8, 10, 12 hours a day looking for work. If you're among them, ignore the critics. They have no clue.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
I don't "believe" anything. However, it stands to reason if you worker harder in your job search, you will probably find a job sooner.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
When so many are out of work and so few companies are hiring, there is a lot more work required to find a job. From the employer's point of view, we send out announcements to a variety of places to get as many applicants as possible, in the hope that we'll find that one who is perfect for the job. I have one currently with 62 applicants and only 6 with experience that merits an interview. With that kind of numbers, you may have to apply to 100 jobs before you get an interview and then do better than the others to be hired. I liked what Thursday007 said, it really may be harder work finding a job that it is working.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:01 PM

37 posts, read 323,694 times
Yes, I am selling the house and it closes next month and my money problems will go away for a short time after that but I still need a job.

I would like to think that my parents are right and if I redoubled my efforts to have the perfect resume, great job search skills, great interview skills and send out more resumes and build a better network of contacts that I will find a job faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search