Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 PM

22 posts, read 191,709 times

Advertisements

Is it necessary to include GPA in resume? 'Cause my GPA is low, about 3.1, so I am afraid this would reduce the employers's interest in the first impression. But if I don't include GPA, will they assume I am hidding something? I am so confused now. Need your advice. Thank you.
Btw, I am a grad student in EE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
I never have or would. It's immaterial.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:36 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlfrank View Post
Is it necessary to include GPA in resume? 'Cause my GPA is low, about 3.1, so I am afraid this would reduce the employers's interest in the first impression. But if I don't include GPA, will they assume I am hidding something? I am so confused now. Need your advice. Thank you.
Not sure what to make of this. EE is a demanding field, a graduate EE degree is something to be proud of.

What is an "average" GPA for your institution? If you are at a prestiege university, and maybe working part time as well, maybe a 3.1 is nothing to be ashamed of?

But be honest and frank with yourself - why are you not making more "A" grades? Are you staying in a field that's not a good fit for you really?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not sure what to make of this. EE is a demanding field, a graduate EE degree is something to be proud of.

What is an "average" GPA for your institution? If you are at a prestiege university, and maybe working part time as well, maybe a 3.1 is nothing to be ashamed of?

But be honest and frank with yourself - why are you not making more "A" grades? Are you staying in a field that's not a good fit for you really?

It is not always easy to make all As. If I had more time to study, I would have made all As ,but if you work full time with a whole family to take care of, than I think just going to college full time or part time and pass with Bs are awesome. I'm not sure about the OPs situation though.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
All I can tell you is that if I see the resume of a recent grad that doesn't have the GPA listed I assume it wasn't good. I actually think a 3.1 is fine by the way.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
I only used it with my first job, I haven't put it on there since.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlfrank View Post
Unless you have zero work experience don't put your GPA. If you have no work experience you need to show sometihing positive about yourself but providing you have some work experience whether landscaping or an itnernship in your field that would be better than GPA.

The only time GPA should ever really come up is for companies who are targeting recent grads and specifically ask for it.

Don't worry noone will think you are hiding anything by not showing a GPA most don't.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,895 times
Show it if it's a good GPA and you recently graduated. I just got a new job and had my GPA on my resume even though I graduated 3-4 years ago. Of course, it was at the very bottom since the experience was much more relevant.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 AM

22 posts, read 191,709 times
The program that I am in ranks top 5 or I can say top 5 of the U.S. And there is less than half students can get A. Which means more than a half and only get B, C or D.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
In all my years, the only application I've seen with a GPA is for law school and medical school aps. I've never put it on mine and have never seen it on other resumes - even the ones I reviewed for hiring. An employer can request your transcripts. But to provide it before it's asked for I've never seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search