Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM

154 posts, read 323,868 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Jacksonville in the 1970's, I lived part of the time in Arlington and loved living there. It was an upscale, vibrant neighborhood with many places to shop. Regency Square was the place and crime was almost non-existant. When I moved back to Jacksonville in 2002, I was shocked to see how shoddy Arlington had become, especially around the Arlington Expressway. I hear the crime is really bad these days (I moved away in 2008).

Are there any plans to revive the Arlington Expressway and Regency Square? I think this is a very important priority, because the Expressway is the gateway to the beaches. Also for more shopping for the downtown residents. Another thorn in my side is the illogical and cumbersome design of the Expressway. It has always been difficult to navigate on. Is the morning and afternoon commute traffic any better with the grate removal on the Matthews Bridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:16 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,676 times
Actually I keep hearing rumors of Regency closing down. Some stores have already closed down. Your right though, the area is bad and seems to be spreading east.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:38 PM

150 posts, read 576,911 times
I think the morning commute is a lot better than it was 5 years ago. All the people (and traffic) have moved to Orange Park is my guess.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
Regency Mall has turned into Grand Theft Auto. Since 2000, crime has infected the mall. For one thing, the vicinity of the mall is an inner-city neighborhood (I think the ghetto area of Arlington, I'm not sure). Second, anytime a mall is located in a high-crime area, it's going to attract thuggery. That may explain why a lot of stores have closed/are closing down. It's not uncommon for Pier 6 brawls to break out in the mall food court.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
It's certainly not the nicest mall and therefore has been struggling, but I think we're being a little dramatic here.

It's not like you're risking your life going to the Regency Mall. I was just in there less than 2 weeks ago and I'm still here to tell the tale.

Run down? Sure. More theft than at the other area malls? Maybe so. Shootings? Stabbings? I haven't heard of any, have you?

It's not like I go to the Regency Mall to hang out, but if there's something I need there, I go and usually solo (and I'm female). Never had a problem. I go to the movies at the AMC there and I've never had a problem there either.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
I think sometime in 2008, there was a well-documented double murder involving a police and a suspect who stole a pair of jeans from the mall. The suspect gave chase and started firing hot lead at the officer; the officer shot back and at the end, both the officer and suspect were found dead. You're right, a lot of commotion that happens is due to people going there to hang out/loiter. I'm more of an Avenues Mall type person. Both malls are alright with me

Old 01-19-2010, 07:11 AM

859 posts, read 3,616,962 times
It's pretty crazy to think that having an entire JSO substation at Regency Mall would help with the crime, sadly, that's not the case. Thugs will outright rob you eyesight away from the substation

Go as a group, park near major entrances and don't linger around the parking lot. They still have a good security personnel presence.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,366 times
Crime is not a major issue at Regency Mall.

At all.

The way some people talk on this board is nuts.

It may be slightly higher of a concern than at other malls, but not a major concern.

To the OP,

Nieghborhooda are usually cyclical. What was new, gets old, gets run-down, something else is newer and nicer, the old (if it has any intrinsic value, ie archetecture, location, etc) gets revitalized & restored (ie, urban renewal).

Arlington is a good example of a neighborhood detiorating.

Riverside is a good example of a previously run-down area that's been renewed and is very popluar.

Springfield is a good example of a neighborhood in the middle of such a renewal.

Any random subdivision off Gate Parkway is an example of brandnew "neighborhood" (although I hesitate to call subdivisions off highways neighborhoods) that will eventually decline down the line.

Not all areas are revitalized though. Uniqueness and/or location are key. Both Riverside & Springfield are Historic Districts and are very walkable (thus very unique) and are in desirable locations (near Downtown, near the river, near parks, etc) thus they are ideal places for renewal.

Parts of Arlington are as well. But overall, Arlington has nothing unique and is not in an unusually desirable geographic location. Thus, there's a much better chance of it simply deteriorating for a long time.

Urban decline, suburban climb, urban renwal, surberban delcine is nothing new or unique to Jacksonville. In older, larger cities this is the norm and everybody jumps out of suburban decline and into urban renewal.

Around here people look at you like you're crazy.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:03 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,304 times
people want more house for cheap so they move out where it is cheap.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM

150 posts, read 576,911 times
I don't think it's fair to say that Arlington isn't unique and isn't an unusually desired location. A lot of Arlington is on the river or very near to it. Arlington doesn't have clear cut neighborhoods and still has some streets filled with beautiful Magnolia trees and lovely brick homes on super large lots. Maybe it isn't in walking distance to a lot of downtown spots, but it is only like a 10 minute commute.

I guess I just don't get what Springfield has that makes it ripe for renewal that Arlington doesn't have that could potentially facilitate its rebirth one day. Arlington followed Springfield in its decline and I suspect that it will follow Springfield's renewal as well.

Last edited by lightheaded1der; 01-19-2010 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville