Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,573 times

Advertisements

I went to Bento's next to Ulta near St. Johns Town Center last week. When I went to the ladies restroom, I noticed they had a nice LCD screen on the wall to display their dishes in a slide show. However, I noticed it was a screen of a laptop and has an integrated camera on it. I am rather concerned if the laptop is recording something through the camera while playing the slide show. I know it can as an IT professional. I like Bento's since I was in Gainesville and was very happy to see them open one in Jacksonville. I hope this is not what's happening and I don't know what to do. Maybe I should just stick a gum on it or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:56 AM

8,995 posts, read 20,419,450 times
I'd just ask about it, nicely of course. Ask as a "curiousity" type question, such as "I was just in your ladies restroom and noticed the LCD screen on the wall showing nice displays of your dishes, but also noticed what appeared to me as a integrated camera, is that what it is?". Ask this to management and just see what they say.
Have you told any friends/family about what you saw? What was their reaction and/or what did they tell you to do?
As for me, I am very observant of things around me and SOMETIMES (depending on what it is, etc.), will question someone about something.
Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_flower5412 View Post
I went to Bento's next to Ulta near St. Johns Town Center last week. When I went to the ladies restroom, I noticed they had a nice LCD screen on the wall to display their dishes in a slide show. However, I noticed it was a screen of a laptop and has an integrated camera on it. I am rather concerned if the laptop is recording something through the camera while playing the slide show. I know it can as an IT professional. I like Bento's since I was in Gainesville and was very happy to see them open one in Jacksonville. I hope this is not what's happening and I don't know what to do. Maybe I should just stick a gum on it or something.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 AM

16,914 posts, read 16,164,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I'd just ask about it, nicely of course. Ask as a "curiousity" type question, such as "I was just in your ladies restroom and noticed the LCD screen on the wall showing nice displays of your dishes, but also noticed what appeared to me as a integrated camera, is that what it is?". Ask this to management and just see what they say.
Have you told any friends/family about what you saw? What was their reaction and/or what did they tell you to do?
As for me, I am very observant of things around me and SOMETIMES (depending on what it is, etc.), will question someone about something.
Good Luck!
I wouldn't say anything to anyone. I would go to the police and have them go check it out - that way, if it IS a camera, the culprit(s) will be arrested.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 AM

8,995 posts, read 20,419,450 times
Good point........yes, do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I wouldn't say anything to anyone. I would go to the police and have them go check it out - that way, if it IS a camera, the culprit(s) will be arrested.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:52 PM

118 posts, read 409,202 times
From what I understand there are security personnel that do watch people in dressing rooms. Not sure if that is the case in Bento's or not. Unfortunately shoplifting rings account for billions of losses per year so this is what we end up with.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 AM

859 posts, read 3,622,281 times
1) Research: They want to know how many people's actually looking at those screens. Are people staying in the restroom too long because of their food?
2) Coincidence: they bought a laptop with integrated webcam
3) Security: Not many people would even notice that. Props to the OP.
4) Security/Insurance: People tends to steal their fancy utensils and dishes.

In all seriousness, what can you do? Call the JSO non-emergency and bring up your concerns. Contact local news too.
For the meantime, bring some tape to mask it up, send them a message. Don't use their restroom.

Food's good I give them that, but it's utterly retarded if the owner is doing recording something in the ladies room on purpose. What about mans' room?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,493,923 times
Contact the owner/manager anonymously & tell them it's illegal & that you'll report them unless they take it out. Even if you yourself never plan on going back, it shouldn't be there, period. Even if it's integrated into the LCD design, its still a camera inside a restroom.

Actually, Im not sure the law. It may vary by state, but Im sure they would at least have to let people know there is a camera in the bathroom regardless.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 AM

wait......

they're showing pictures of food in the restroom?!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Like to update this for some clarifications.
Saw the TV in the restroom, I'm not sure if it's the same one OP saw, a Toshiba? That "hole" on the bottom-middle of the tv is the IR port which receives remote signal. It's a TV+DVD combo that doesn't have any recording function and is only receiving signal from one cable.
So maybe they changed it? I don't know.

Still, having TV in front of toilet showing food? Bad taste.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,239,652 times
The monitors are actually in the stalls?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville