Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 AM

3 posts, read 10,407 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Jacksonville/St Augustine area and we are looking for an active adult or golf course community. Any information about various communities would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM

250 posts, read 706,432 times
well, i don't know how old you are but there is the World Golf Village in St. Augustine and there is Ponda Vedra. in Jacksonville. check those two areas out at least.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
If you're looking for a 55+ community, Sweetwater in Baymeadows (southside area) is an active community with all the amenities (except not a full golf course, but there is, I think, I large putting green -- plenty of public courses in the Jacksonville area though).

Sweetwater | Active Adult Community Jacksonville FL | Del Webb homes
(site may take a bit to load)

Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Unlike South Florida, we don't have a proliferation of Over-55 communities here in Jax/St. Aug.

While we have a few of them, it seems most retirees mix into family neighborhoods here. 70-somethings live next door to 20-somethings.

So I'd suggest keeping the options open. Check out the Over-55's, but take a look at some "regular" neighborhoods too.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:59 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
riveree is correct that you don't have to rule out "mixed" neighborhoods. My community for example (Eagle Harbor on Fleming Island, a golf/tennis community with a variety of age mixes and family make-ups) has a very active adult group which meets regularly to do all sorts of things from tennis matches to bingo nights to travel. I'm sure other "mixed" communities around the Duval, Clay, and St. Johns Counties would have the same kind of thing.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,407 times
Default relocating

I really appreciate everyone's input. We were not aware that the neighborhoods in Florida were a mixture of all ages...which is very encouraging...we plan to spend a few months this winter in the area and will explore a variety of neighborhoods....thank you again for all of the information.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishpietro View Post
I really appreciate everyone's input. We were not aware that the neighborhoods in Florida were a mixture of all ages...which is very encouraging...we plan to spend a few months this winter in the area and will explore a variety of neighborhoods....thank you again for all of the information.
Glad we could be of help.

Jacksonville sort of defies the cliche of Florida. We're a "young" city by Florida standards:

Jacksonville median resident age: 33.8 years
Florida median resident age: 38.7 years

https://www.city-data.com/city/Jacksonville-Florida.html

Gated communities are not as common here in North Florida as they are in South Florida, nor are the Over-55 communities. I suppose it's because Jacksonville is a working city, not a tourist destination or a retirement destination. Hope you enjoy your visit to Jax !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville