Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,569 times

Advertisements

G'day people,
I have just been offered a job in Ponte Vedra, Florida. I currently live in Perth, Western Australia...So basically i cant move any further away from home. I am married with a 3 year old son and a 3 month old daughter. Prior to me accepting the job, and this being such a HUGE move for such a young family to a place we know noone....I just want to get a feel for the place. I will be looking at moving to the St Johns County. Is this area good for such a young family? we will be looking at gettign my son into sports and school etc (not sure when kids start school there) aswell as joining some social clubs so we can get to know people. Especially groups that include Mum's (mOm's in your language haha) and kids. IF i can get some feedback on this, that would be greatly appreciated. I also like to know about the Health system etc etc over there.

I also read a thread before about the Jaguars possibly relocating...I hope that doesnt happen...I am a huge Aussie Rules Football fan and I am leaving that behind....So i am banking on becoming entrenched into American football and the Jaguars, although i need to learn the sport haha.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Your Future Neighbour with the funny accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,207,293 times
St Johns is generally a nice, wealthy, suburban county. Nice place to raise a family, close to the beaches, removed from the rest of the city (which has its pros and cons)

Jaguars wont relocate in the near future, but maybe further down the line if things dont change. I'm optimistic so I think the fanbase will grow greatly in the next decade, and if one or two games are moved to Orlando, that will help even more. Meanwhile, there is a rugby team called the Jacksonville Axemen. On their site you'll also see that the US and Jamaican national teams are playing in Jax in a few weeks. Your fellow aussie russell crowe was here a few years ago to promote the sport and a game that featured south sydney. Jaxaxe Home

Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 AM

20 posts, read 37,594 times
G'day! My husband and I moved from Melbourne to Jacksonville last year. It's been a HUGE culture shock for us to be honest. It's far more conservative than what we're used to, and you have to drive everywhere. In fact in one year we've put more kms on the car than we did in 5 years in Melb.... The locals are very friendly though. Feel free to PM me if you have specific aussie-US questions.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,297,338 times
You don't have to drive everywhere if live in one of the Historc Districts that surrond Downtown.....

Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 815,082 times
St John's county is great for young families. The school's are as good as you'll find anywhere in NOrtheast Florida. Start your son off at Christ Church Pre-K if you're so inclined....lots of nice young families for your wife to meet. (you don't have to be a church member)...Public kindergarten starts at age 5. There are tons of sports to start your son off at Davis Park and the YMCA is terrific, too. Good luck to you!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:26 PM

560 posts, read 2,081,744 times
Yeah, this is going to be a pretty big culture shock from Perth.

Despite Jax being a blue-collar city, Ponte Vedra is probably the wealthiest area in the metro. So it's going to be perfectly safe, with good schools, and luxurious amenities. As others have mentioned, the downside is that you will have to drive EVERYWHERE in Jax.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest living in Ponte Vedra or one of the other beach communities. The subdivisions in NW St Johns county do have good schools, but they're very isolated even by American standards. You'd probably feel more connected to a community (and hate your commute to work less) the closer you live to the beach.

Also on the plus side, Jax has great weather and great outdoor activities. So you won't have the same downgrade in climate as if you'd moved further North.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:14 PM

11 posts, read 21,311 times
You will have to get used to living in Jacksonville. I've been here 10 years and the first thing you will have to do is get used to the southern accent. My first introduction was on the airplane here from Philly. School starts early here in August as opposed to September in Philly. And get used to driving everywhere. If you want to exercise though, the weather is great for walking or jogging. If you need any more information, e-mail me.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks for your help people. I do appreciate it. I think it will come in handy knowing you Poddy, I will PM when I get my Visa details...I will ahve 101 questions then, especially with the health system, entitlements etc.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:40 PM

I forgot to say...i turned the TV on this morning when i woke up...and a US College football game was on Live, all the way down here in Aussie...Florida v Gerogia at Jacksonville.....I think its a sign!!! haha

Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,207,293 times
A sign that the gators are on their way to two consecutive titles, I hope! :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville