Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:14 AM

283 posts, read 759,818 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Jacksonville with my boyfriend in mid April (from Australia) and we have NO ONE to hang out with except his parents. Scary prospect! Where would we go to meet some young (25-40) and hip people? Is it difficult to meet people when you're out? We were there on holiday last year and it seemed like people were not thrilled about talking to us randomly in clubs.
We're thinking about doing some sports to meet friends. Any more suggestions? Help! I don't want to spend every friday and saturday night watching tv with seniors I'm too young to die a suburban death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
There were a few threads recently about this. Check these three out for some opinions:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ksonville.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...20s-crowd.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ksonville.html

Don't worry! You can find lots of options so that you won't be spending your weekends and evenings in front of the tube!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 AM

283 posts, read 759,818 times
yeah but the replies in those depress me because they're mostly negative about the nightlife and that's not what i want to hear :P i guess i would just love to find out how to make a nice little group of friends to hang out with and not necessarily go out with all the time.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
Look past and ignore the negative nellies in the threads and you'll find some positive opinions :-)

Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
Gee, do you know us?????? We are 60 years old and DO spend a number of Friday/Saturday nights in front of the tube! But, with a Blu-Ray DVD Player and 46" tv, 6-pak of beer and chips we keep intertained enough. Of course, when we were your age, we sure didn't do the "in front of the tv Fri/Sat night thing"......that is for sure!!
Get a boat and hit all the water around Jax. Plenty of boaters here!
As far as "hip" people go, I'm not sure about that statement in Jax Remember, this isn't New York or So Calif.! But, do check out the Threads that mawipafl gave you from CD.
Good Luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrals View Post
I'm moving to Jacksonville with my boyfriend in mid April (from Australia) and we have NO ONE to hang out with except his parents. Scary prospect! Where would we go to meet some young (25-40) and hip people? Is it difficult to meet people when you're out? We were there on holiday last year and it seemed like people were not thrilled about talking to us randomly in clubs.
We're thinking about doing some sports to meet friends. Any more suggestions? Help! I don't want to spend every friday and saturday night watching tv with seniors I'm too young to die a suburban death

Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM

627 posts, read 1,295,504 times
I have not moved down to Jax yet but I have already made some friends down there.

I am a member of Meetup.com.

This site has many groups throughout the country gathering for any and every reason: clubbing, dancing, music, sports, games, health, business... you name it, there is a group. And if there is not one, you cant start one.

I guarantee you will find lots of people there.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 AM

48 posts, read 206,846 times
Where in Jacksonville are you moving to? Maybe we can give you some ideas of places to go and the type of people you will run into.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 33,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
I have not moved down to Jax yet but I have already made some friends down there.

This site has many groups throughout the country gathering for any and every reason: clubbing, dancing, music, sports, games, health, business... you name it, there is a group. And if there is not one, you cant start one.

I was gonna mention MeetUp too...

Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
Yea, but it sure can COST to start up a Meetup group if there is no group that people want to be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post

Old 03-19-2009, 01:04 PM

238 posts, read 782,355 times
You can definitely meet people out at clubs, lounges and bars. I mean there is plenty to do despite what some people say.

You can also get involved with some sports at the local parks at the beaches. I know people that play volleyball on the weekends at Jarboe park and anyone (no matter skill level) can go up there and play. There are plenty of things like that to get involved in.

Volunteering for local organizations are also good ways to meet people.

In short, whenever you move to a new place there is going to be a transition time without friends. But its all up to how involved you get with different activities. You shouldn't stress about it, you will meet people. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville