Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 AM

37 posts, read 105,045 times

Advertisements

Hello!! Again I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic... my realtor is going to be showing us some builder houses when we come down to FL along with some resale houses. Just would like to know, if you were a first time buyer, would you opt for a resale house that's a few years old, or a brand new builder house? It seems like we could get a great deal if we bought a brand new house right now, since the builder is usually willing to pay all of the closing costs and even pay the CDD fees for a certain amount of time.

Also, my realtor mentioned Two Creeks in Middleburg (Monarch Homes) which is a new community...I guess that's one of the places we'll be checking out. Anyone heard of this community? Any thoughts on the location and builder?

As always, any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 AM

859 posts, read 3,616,962 times
Do know that Middleburg is not really in Jacksonville. They're further south in Clay County.
You're question can be best answered if we know what's in play here; job, school, commute?

New builds are great if you want customized home and can wait upwards of 6 months for completion. We also have plenty of new builds and ready to move in communities, those builders are throwing in upgrades and incentives.

And lastly, it'll depend on the community you want to live in. Some don't have any more builders building but they have plenty of built homes.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,212 times
Most new home builders are discounting/paying fees, etc, only on select inventory homes (those already built). While you won't get to select any of the options in the house, or which lot you want it built on, you will have a brand new home that no one else has ever occupied. You'll usually get a 1-year warranty from the builder, too, which is nice to have. One thing about them paying the closing costs, you usually have to use their own "preferred" lender, which isn't that big of a deal. But it's possible that you may pay a slightly higher rate than if you were to shop for your own mortgage elsewhere. Just a few things to keep in mind...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 AM

37 posts, read 105,045 times
Sorry I guess I should've mentioned this again on this post...just don't want to get too repetitive since I've said it on my other posts. My husband is in the Navy, and we're relocating to FL within the next few months. I know Middleburg is not in Jax...we're looking for a house to buy somewhere in Clay County. This will be our first home, so trying to be smart about it. Just looking for a house in a good location that will possibly have a good resale value for when we have to sell the house later on if my husband couldn't be stationed in Jax for the rest of his career. I love FL, so I don't mind staying there forever! Just wanted everyone's opinion which of those seems like a smarter buy. Many thanks!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnavywf View Post
Hello!! Again I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic... my realtor is going to be showing us some builder houses when we come down to FL along with some resale houses. Just would like to know, if you were a first time buyer, would you opt for a resale house that's a few years old, or a brand new builder house? It seems like we could get a great deal if we bought a brand new house right now, since the builder is usually willing to pay all of the closing costs and even pay the CDD fees for a certain amount of time.

Also, my realtor mentioned Two Creeks in Middleburg (Monarch Homes) which is a new community...I guess that's one of the places we'll be checking out. Anyone heard of this community? Any thoughts on the location and builder?

As always, any input is appreciated!
There are pros and cons of new construction versus resale.

NEW CONSTRUCTION (if from a builder)

Pros
Flexibility in negotiation.
Financing incentives
Flexibility in upgrades

Cons
Needs screen for lanai, window dressings, gutters
As more and more businesses fold you may be out of luck by your 1 year walkthrough (happened to me in VA)
If development is not entirely built, you may have empty lots for a long time

RESALE

Pros
Most have already put in sprinkler systems, window dressings, shades, garage door openers/remotes, gutters, fence, etc
Usually in more established neighborhoods
May or may not have the upgrades you want

Cons
Limited flexibility in negotiation versus a dealer
What you see is what you get (color of walls, house, carpet)
Depending upon the age of the home, appliances may be nearing the end of their life cycle

Monarch Homes is not listed under the Better Business Bureau

Clearwater, FL: Check Out a Business or Charity

Monarch Homes | New Homes In Clay County | Jacksonville Florida Home Builders

One thing you should really be cautious about is how long someone has been in business. Check with the people who have bought from them and get opinions from your 'future neighbors'.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Well said by previous posters. Pros and cons for both new and resale. I'd just like to emphasize that a new house in a new neighborhood that's still be built out may mean that when you need to sell you would be competing with brand new houses. That's different than a new house in a neighborhood that's just about finished.

When out and about with your realtor you'll have a great opportunity to "feel" the commute to NAS (presuming that's where your husband will be stationed.) You can then decide if places such as Middleburg are doable for you.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I'd just like to emphasize that a new house in a new neighborhood that's still be built out may mean that when you need to sell you would be competing with brand new houses. That's different than a new house in a neighborhood that's just about finished.
That is one big reason that I didn't move to Eagle Landing. It would be hard to sell when a builder is offering new for less.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM

18 posts, read 66,791 times
Default Check for comuting time and traffic

We bought a house in Orange Park-- Fleming Island Plantation which is adjacent to Eagle Harbor in 2004. We liked FIP since the elementary and high school were in the same planned community. I think FIP just had a middle school built in the premises, somebody correct me if I'm mistaken. There are lot of new in 2004 homes by 17 which is the main road to NAS from FIP/Eagle Harbor and Green Cove Springs. Of course, some of the new homes in 2004 are for resale now, mine included, but there are other areas, that have new homes, waiting for their first time residents.
I suggest that you drive around to see the commute, and with this housing burst, I'm sure that you will get a fairly priced home that you like. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 13,494 times
Jacksonville is very diverse and spread out. I would recommend trying to rent a place for six months to a year so that you can get a feel for the area. One thing you are not going to want to do is cross that darn Buckman Bridge during the morning or evening commute.

Just make sure not to rent from Riverside Trading Company or the company rep Bert Ralston.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:13 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
That is one big reason that I didn't move to Eagle Landing. It would be hard to sell when a builder is offering new for less.
Same here. We found two houses there and really liked the community, but both were in neighborhoods that were still being built-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville