Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 33,059 times

Advertisements

Hello Im 27, I applied to school in Jacksonville but I do not want to live there. I am looking into Green Cove, it looks like a beautiful place to live. I am moving there with my boyfriend, he will be working full time as I work part time and attend school full time. We need something at least 2 bedrooms up to about 650.00 for rent (at least to start the first year while we get settled). Can anyone tell me about the apartments in that area? I only seem to find St Johns Landing but have heard opinions ranging from "its great" to "it's crackville".

We currently live in Miami and want to leave the big city life behind but still be close to the metropolis if we want to have a drink at a bar (we love alternative rock bars or ones that play a mix of music). We are used to driving 45-an hour to get anywhere in traffic here so the drive to Jax wouldnt be an issue. Google map says its 40 min to Univ of North Florida but it doesnt seem to be completely accurate.

Any other information that may be helpful would be most appreciated!

Last edited by fiupsychrox; 02-25-2009 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: change info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,479,239 times
One consideration may be where you'll end up working. Does your boyfriend have a job in Green Cove Springs already? Or someplace not too far such as Orange Park? Where do you think you might be working?

You might find some retail or restaurant work in Fleming Island/Green Cove or in your next closest location, Orange Park. For higher-paying work, you'd most likely have to commute across the river to Jacksonville.

40 minutes to UNF sounds a little too optimistic from Green Cove Springs, I would plan on closer to an hour. You'll need to travel through 3 counties and cross one major river - from Clay county, through St. John's county and into Duval county and cross the St. John's river - that's quite a bit of distance with plenty of potential traffic snags.

Have you considered UF in Gainesville? If you're looking for a more rural lifestyle you can live just on the edge of Gainesville and have an easy commute in to school. Gainesville is a hip little small town .

Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,998,206 times
I agree with riveree. If UNF is not set in stone, then considering UF should be something to explore. But if UNF is your destination, I don't think Green Cove is where you want to be. It IS a nice community, but the commute to anywhere would be too long even if you're used to that in Miami.

Jacksonville offers many other choices for you in your price range with much better access to jobs and to UNF, and there are places in which you will not feel like you're living the big-city-life.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM

754 posts, read 2,817,533 times
Commuting to UNF? Don't live in Green Cove. It is indeed a nice little town, but the commute would not be fun. I would guess it would take about 45-60 minutes to get to UNF, depending on traffic and time of day.

However, if you do insist on living in Green Cove, avoid St. Johns Landing. It's "crackville" there.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 33,059 times
Thank you everyone..Im actually considering Orange Park now. My boyfriend would be able to transfer there and it is closer to UNF/Jax. Areas to avoid in Orange Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville