Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,329 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to Jacksonville in July of next year with my husband, nine year old daughter, and dog. I am looking for hopefully a house to rent near a really great school for my daughter. Any two bedroom rental between 800-1100 would be preferable.

Our main goal is to find a great school for our daughter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have looked at the Atlandic beach area briefly and it looks very nice. If you have any information about this area, I would also appreciate it.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM

233 posts, read 766,645 times
The Riverside/Avondale and Murray Hill areas are nice. Both have great schools and a good amount of rental homes. Depending on your family's lifestyle, Riverside/Avondale would be good if you're into arts and other cultural things, or if you're more family-oriented, Murray Hill.

Most of the Southside is nice, too, and even Mandarin.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,657 times
[quote=RockSteadyVibe;6464528]The Riverside/Avondale and Murray Hill areas are nice. Both have great schools and a good amount of rental homes. Depending on your family's lifestyle, Riverside/Avondale would be good if you're into arts and other cultural things, or if you're more family-oriented, Murray Hill.

Most of the Southside is nice, too, and even Mandarin.[/quote]

What do you mean, "even Mandarin"????????????????

jk

Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 PM

[quote=JagFan27;6465729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post

jk
If I offended you with that remark, I apologize.

Seriously, I believe Mandarin is a nice area. I like that there is an abundance of trees in Mandarin that give the area a feeling of "being close to nature". I also think that, even though most of the homes in Mandarin are "post-1960s", it is a nice part of town to raise the kids.

I may be biased -- all this is coming from one who lives in Riverside, but knows Mandarin pretty well.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,518 times
The Beaches can be great places to live - albiet a bit more run down than many other beach towns. If you can find an Atlantic Beach rental in your price range, that might be a good bet.

Quote:
Our main goal is to find a great school for our daughter.
I guess it depends on your goals. If you want her to go to an elite college, you'll probably want her in a private school, or in the magnet program. Either way, that means it doesn't matter which neighborhood you live in.

If you just want a safe place with no fights and a decent feeder into the state college system, I think all of the "A" and "B" schools are options. You can find out that info from the Florida Times-Union archives.

It's tough to provide suggestions beyond that, because the definition of a great school can mean different things to different people.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post

jk
Sorry to add another unnecessary post to this thread (too bad there's no way to edit posts on this board)...

I got the jk part, even if you're just yankin' my chain. I also have a sense of humor.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand...

The reason I consider the Southside a nice area is because I believe there is a low level of crime in that area, that is if the OP or anyone wants a safe place with no fights. Just my opinion.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,329 times
thank you all for your input. i cant wait to move to Jax!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 AM

57 posts, read 143,178 times
www.greatschools.net
They 'grade' schools based on test scores and give them 0-10 rating.
You can look at Private, public and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville