Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,006 times

Advertisements

Morning all! Well morning for me anyway!

I'm trying to get a jump on moving and the areas and am really trying to focus on school districts. I'm looking at Clay County Schools. (I am just focusing on these now, but won't discount other area high schools). So with that in mind and after reading the Great Schools website I was wondering if there are other intangibles or unmentioned things I should know about the following schools.

First I was told to avoid Orange Park HS. When we lived in Jax in 2000 we lived very close to OPHS and I don't think we are wanting to move back up into that exact area.

So what about the following:

Fleming Island HS
Ridgeview HS
Clay HS
Middleburg HS

Any input about these high schools would be appreciated. Things like extra curricular activities, parental involvement, sports, known issues.....any news stories etc.

Thanks! I think I might be overthinking this part of the move, but I know we'll be in Jax to let my oldest finish high school and after the school he attends now I am WELCOMING the change. I'm just very glad my oldest is a good student and we're able to wade through this.

Have a great day and weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 12:04 PM

754 posts, read 2,814,332 times
You are wise to avoid OPHS.

Of the four high schools that you listed, Fleming Island HS is by far your best bet. Good school, nice area, good parental involvement, lots of activities...can't go wrong at all!

Of the remaining schools, I would say that Middleburg HS and Clay HS are both tied for second...a very distant second behind Fleming Island. In my view, Ridgeview is only marginally better than OPHS.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
You are wise to avoid OPHS.

Of the four high schools that you listed, Fleming Island HS is by far your best bet. Good school, nice area, good parental involvement, lots of activities...can't go wrong at all!

Of the remaining schools, I would say that Middleburg HS and Clay HS are both tied for second...a very distant second behind Fleming Island. In my view, Ridgeview is only marginally better than OPHS.

Hope that helps!
It does help. I mean you can only read so much from the websites. There is such limited parental involvement at both of my son's schools and I don't like that.

I don't hear many bad things about FIHS.........

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
We went to a sports event at Fleming Island High School. It's a nice school, very clean and the kids that were getting in their cars looked like good kids too. I've heard Clay is a good school.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:53 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
I don't have any kids in the school system, but I thoroughly enjoyed the FIHS's recent Homecoming Parade. It was quite impressive to see the number of highschoolers involved in the parade (and quite obviously having a blast), and the number of people of all ages lining the streets to watch.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:54 PM

thanks for all the input. I was looking at the florida doe website and it does a pretty good comparison between schools, graduation rates, testing etc.

I think FIHS is our first choice.........well I KNOW it is our first choice.

Okay now that is narrowed down.......

I'm really anxious to move. I remember when we lived in Jax in 2000 we'd drive down towards that area and I would always tell my husband "I like this area alot........."

Old 11-09-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
I remember when we lived in Jax in 2000 we'd drive down towards that area and I would always tell my husband "I like this area alot........."
Me, too, but I'm a tad bias because I live here :-)

If you haven't been back since 2000, goodness you'll see some changes!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Me, too, but I'm a tad bias because I live here :-)

If you haven't been back since 2000, goodness you'll see some changes!
I am sure they are welcomed!

A good friend of mine just moved back to Hawaii recently from Jax. They own a home in Oakleaf and are renting it out at the moment. (they plan to move back after this tour and he retires from the Navy).

We were chatting about areas and she said that we should definitely look into FIHS and the surrounding area. It's what everyone keeps telling me will be our best fit. Like I said before I remember liking it then and I have a feeling I'll like it more now.........

It's strange to be leaving a place we LOVE so much in Hawaii, but are really excited to move forward to another place we really enjoyed.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 AM

Let us know when you land! There's a lively pizza-loving group of Jax C-D'ers who enjoy meeting up in real life :-)

Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Let us know when you land! There's a lively pizza-loving group of Jax C-D'ers who enjoy meeting up in real life :-)
haha I've noticed!

I will...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville