Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 PM

237 posts, read 497,601 times

Advertisements

New to Jax and went looking around Mandarin area, because I read it was a nice area with great schools. I was looking for older homes that I could fix up under 200K. I looked around Loretto road (east of San Jose) and up St. Augustine around Queensway. The area seemed odd to me. I would see one really nice well maintained home next to a home that looked like a dump with propane tanks and trash in the front yard. I felt bad for the person with the nice home. Is this area of Mandarin a decent safe area to live. Seems to me if people are not keeping up their homes the area will get worst over time. But I a new and maybe this is the norm here. Any thoughts on this area of Mandarin appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 06:06 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,226,924 times
I think you would like Ramsgate. It is west of San Jose and south of Claire Lane. One of my favorite neighborhoods in that price range and very well maintained.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:30 PM

197 posts, read 752,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I think you would like Ramsgate. It is west of San Jose and south of Claire Lane. One of my favorite neighborhoods in that price range and very well maintained.

Did the Mandarin area get flooded when TS Fay hit Jacksonville?

Which areas of Mandarin are in non-flood zones?

Thanks.

iuki

Old 08-24-2008, 10:03 AM

95 posts, read 427,772 times
I live in Mandarin, just off Old St. Augustine road. I had no flooding. I did not lose power I had cable, internet and phone service also. The only thing I notice was some standing water on a low grade area of my property.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,484 times
I have lived in Mandarin since 1966 when it was a very rural area. When the boom of the 80's came subdivisions were built next to the country family who kept chickens in their yard. I think that you see this especially off St. Augustine Rd, south of Loretto. I agree Ramsgate is well kept, as is Stonebridge, off Flynn Rd. You will find streets off Mandarin Rd and Loretto Rd that are not subdivisions, but just nice roads with houses- Loretto Woods Ct., Brady Rd.,Flynn Rd.,Orange Picker Rd. Good luck. It is a beautiful area and not so full of cookie-cutter subdivisions like St. Johns County.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 9,484 times
I live off Scott Mill, very near the river and did not have flooding or lose power. There was water in my street, but it drained well during the storm and was gone by Friday afternoon.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:07 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,028,000 times
You might also want to check into Rivergate off of Mandarin Rd. You should be able to find some homes in your price range. Rivergate runs into Silver Oak and there are also some homes in there that are very nice, a little older (70s) but well built, although they tend to be smaller, with bigger backyards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville