Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times

Advertisements

Hey all
I have been enjoying the "backyard wildlife" thread so much I thought it would be fun to have one for everyone to share their gardening or landscape pictures.
It would also help the new folks to see what folks are planting.

What do you think ? anyone want to share their "green thumb" results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 AM

Here is a couple of the front

part of my back gardens

butterfly/hummingbird garden

this is the Peach tree I planted in memory of the dog we recently lost I call it "Clues Garden"

I have to re-pot the citrus trees into nicer pots lol one of these days

Old 05-08-2008, 10:50 AM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
Nice yard Karla. Sorry about your dog. I hope your peach tree does well. Our neighbors had lots of good looking peaches on their trees. We planted two but didn't have very good results. I can see why Herbert was happy in your backyard.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:15 PM

thanks ryde
the nursery guy said peach trees can be a challenge so we will see
so far it has been putting out new leaves and we have 3 tiny peaches
lol better not get the pie crust ready yet

Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 PM

530 posts, read 1,459,957 times
Very nice Karla seeing your yard makes me realize I still have some work to do in mine,but its comming along though.I saw an egret in my yard Monday with a snake in its mouth,wish I had a camera,I did take a shot with my cell,but didnt look that great.I am going to invest in looking for a good camera this weekend,once again nice yard Karla.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
I will try tp take some photos, but we are going more tropical to add to the completely opposite english country garden theme. We have planted some norfolk islands, a queen palm, majesty palms, a fishtail, and a foxtail palm, as well as some agave plants and bromeliads. I have been encouraging people to step out of our "old climate" zone and into the new one, which I would rate 9b instead of 9a/8b considering the past few years of milder winters. I have been noticing people planting more tropical palms and plants recently, and there are some coconuts growing in st. augustine!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Very risky to try coconut and foxtails,just because people are planting them doesnt mean you should.It only takes one bad winter and in Jax/St Aug its very possible and more likely to happen,but I do agree that we have moved down a zone/letter or two,our winters are nothing like they were in the early 90's and 80's thank God,,was anyone living here when we had that record low of 7degrees,,I remember,, what a frosty day it was.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 AM

depending on where in jax you live can make a difference in what you plant.
When I lived at the beach I had different concerns than I do now living 12 miles inland
My MIL in Orange Park gets more freezes than we do.

Another "issue" with planting the more south fl tropicals is the extra "work" should a freeze be predicted
keith I remember a freeze in the 90 where I lost quite a few plants and this was when I was living at the beach where freezes are not that common

Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Y'know, I really don't take that many garden shots outside of my macro shots that I love so much , but here goes....some old ones....

First, the reason I chose this spot, Da' Woods!

You can see native oak, maple, pine, sweetbay magnolia, palmettos...

Some of my favorite flower pics...
Hibiscus (check out the ant!)

Datura...deadly, but gorgeous, and the smell is incredible (a night bloomer)

New Guinea Impatiens. I only bought them once (too delicate ), but check out that color - it is electric

Saucer/Japanese Magnolia tree...you know Spring is here when in bloom

My baby Live Oak (he's much bigger now), hands down, my favorite tree in the world is the Live Oak

Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 PM

Very nice pics Riveree and Karla ur right even though I do have a few plants in my yard that belong further South I dont mind tossing a sheet over them when a freeze threatens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville