Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 25,275 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are considering a home purchase in Eagle Landing. It appears to be beautiful but I am just skeptical of the surrounding area. There are alot of resales in there and the houses are practically new. If anyone knows the location, it is a different environment than Eagle Harbor. Does anyone know what the future might bring to this area? Will it be in demand like Eagle Harbor is? What else is going to be built out that way? Is it safe and pretty crime-free? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 AM

859 posts, read 3,618,531 times
Depends on where you work and what type of school for the kids. That area is slowly growing with the new development of Oakleaf Town Center. It's fairly safe but as with many of the cdd communities here, some outside people likes to go in there to mess around. Most of the information you're looking for can be found in the Oakleaf Plantation thread if you search.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
We looked at Eagle Harbor, Eagle Landing, and Oakleaf. For us, it was a personal preference to choose Eagle Harbor, mostly because EH was essentially complete. We felt more comfortable knowing that house-wise the community was built out and that a good portion of the commercial was established or on its way. The commercial along Rt 220 will continue to grow, no doubt, but we can better see the future here than in the Eagle Landing/Oakleaf area.

Our choice was also due to the roadway messes at the time, specifically Argyle Forest - it was under construction and would have been a massive commuter headache ... we also weren't aware of how long that project would last - please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's done and a more-smooth ride now. However, although Rt 17 isn't a piece of cake, we seriously didn't want to have to contend with Blanding in any way-shape-form.

But, as I said, it's a personal preference. Oakleaf/Eagle Landing is a really nice area with a lot of ammenities and close-by shopping.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM

Yes the Argyle Forest project was completed. Much easier drive from Blanding blvd, but Blanding itself is whole other mess yet to be solved.

17 is often hell to drive through during rush hours if you traveling between southside or downtown.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Yes the Argyle Forest project was completed. Much easier drive from Blanding blvd, but Blanding itself is whole other mess yet to be solved.
Thank you! Wasn't sure about Argyle.

Quote:
17 is often hell to drive through during rush hours if you traveling between southside or downtown.
Oh yes, dear old 17 ... took over an hour yesterday to get from Riverside (started journey at 5 pm) to Steak N Shake on Rt 220 (arrived at 6:10). Ouch.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Thank you! Wasn't sure about Argyle.

Oh yes, dear old 17 ... took over an hour yesterday to get from Riverside (started journey at 5 pm) to Steak N Shake on Rt 220 (arrived at 6:10). Ouch.
should have stopped by the one on Wells Rd then get free Ben n Jerry's ice cream there (their annual Cone Day)

Old 04-30-2008, 09:42 AM

60 posts, read 314,106 times
Oakleaf resident here. As stated above, the Argyle project is completed...and it is GREATLY improved as a result. The prior bottlenecks were pretty unbearable. In terms of rush hour commutes on I295, Blanding is irrelevant to me. Argyle (or Youngerman Cir) to I295 means what...maybe 50 - 100 yards on Blanding. Hardly anything to concern yourself with.

I am getting a bit impatient with how long it is taking additional businesses to open in Oakleaf Town Center. We need more restaurants out here! It looks like they may have broken ground on the "Up the Creek" (supposed to be like a fish camp rest.). I heard a rumor that the previously announced Panera Bread may be pulling out. Disappointing, if true. Everything else at OTC seems to be shaping up nicely. Just a bit slower than I hoped. Hey...we finally have a gas station (Hess), though!

As for the original poster's concerns, I have heard that there are quite a few good deals over in Eagle Landing. Obviously, a result of the glut of resales. Still out of my price range, though. I would guess that it is just a result of the overall housing market crunch. There are a good many resales just about everywhere.

I do have a question about the thought process of purchasing in Eagle Landing, though. Regardless of the "deals", those houses still ain't cheap. If someone has that kind of money, why buy there instead of a comperable home in a more convenient locale. Don't get me wrong, as I've mentioned before I love the Oakleaf area. I'm just not sure I would have ended up here if I had $400K and upwards to spend on a house.

Then again, the glut of resales in Eagle Landing may be the answer to my question. A lot of people with other options probably are buying elsewhere.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
I was in a similar situation. Given that Eagle Landing is still developing, when it is time to sell in 3-5 years, you may be competing against a builder (who has more leeway for negotiating for a sale). It depends upon what development in Eagle Landing (however a lot of houses are 7-12 years old and many of the appliances/heating and air conditioning units/roofs are near the end of the serviceable life - additionally, a lot of the houses lack the in vogue upgrades like ceramic tile, granite countertops, dual head showers, 3 car garages, etc).

I ended up getting a house in Fleming Island (it was priced in the high $500k's - but Eagle Landing was priced in the high 500s when I was looking, too). We are supposed to get a Movie Theater in late fall this year.

Your major drawback is the commute depending upon where and what time you drive to work. However, they are widening 17 which should help with congestion. However Argyle is off of one of the most congested streets in OP, too - Blanding BLVD.

When it boils down to it, your proximity to work, will be the major lifestyle decision for you. Most people do not tolerate a long commute - no matter where you live.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 25,275 times
Talking Reduced lunches

Hello all, after researching the differences in the elementary schools of Fleming Island and Oakleaf, only 2% of the children at Fleming Island receive reduced lunches and at Oakleaf it is 18%. Not knowing the area, why is there such a difference? You would think it would be the same as there are cdd communities in both. I don't mean to sound so dumb but I don't know what the differences are.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 AM

154 posts, read 645,849 times
I live in St. Johns County but play golf @ Eagle Landing, Eagle Harbor & Fleming Island alot. Just an outsider looking in, I would definitely choose either Fleming Island or Eagle Harbor over Eagle Landing. Just my opinion. I might change my mind 5 years from now but if I had to make a decision today I would go in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: