Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,235,954 times

Advertisements

The rate of volunteerism in Jacksonville for 2007 has been estimated at 65% of the adult population. That compares to a national average of 26.2%.

Last night I attended Volunteer Jacksonville's Celebration of Service. It is an annual event honoring those who have volunteered in a number of areas. If you read the Times-Union, honorees have been featured leading up to the event.

Those honored ranged from the 13 YO boy who taught himself the piano, cut a Christmas CD and sold enough to donate $2700 to Dreams Come True, helping to fulfill the dream of a terminally ill child-to an 88 YO man who works with senior citizens and disabled adults!

With so many on this site new to Jacksonville, I just want to let you know how easy it is to get involved in our community- whether by making an ongoing commitment or just showing up for a one-time event.

Volunteer Jacksonville's Hands On Jacksonville program has two ways to get involved as a volunteer- on their website you can find a non-profit to assist by looking at the list of opportunities posted or the calendar of events that you can support AND you can create a login and post your profile, enabling non-profits to find you.

Hands On Jacksonville, A Program of Volunteer Jacksonville,

There is no better way to make Jacksonville feel like home than to become involved in the community.

You make a living by what you get, but you make a life by what you give. -- Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,493,330 times
Wow, I wonder what makes our citizens volunteer more than average? I don't think it's our age - we're not a retirement city (we have a young median age). Did they give any explanation, HIF?

It's a great way for newcomers to meet new people too .

Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Wow, I wonder what makes our citizens volunteer more than average? I don't think it's our age - we're not a retirement city (we have a young median age). Did they give any explanation, HIF?

It's a great way for newcomers to meet new people too .
No explanation, the CEO said it during her opening remarks. The national figure is from Dept. of Labor stat and the Jax stat is from.....I am guessing here, but I've heard it before and think it was from a JCCI study. I am also guessing that the high number of church-goers pushes our figures up a bit.

Volunteering sounds like such a good thing to do, and it is, but for the rest of the story..... I am "volunteering" at a $200 per ticket event this month. I wanted to attend last year and couldn't afford the ticket, so called and asked if I could volunteer in exchange for a ticket. They said yes and I am doing it again this year! I help at the sign-in table and the rest of the night is my own..... and I am also volunteering at the beer and wine booth at the Jazz Fest- I wanted to go, but don't have anyone to go with, so this way I get to enjoy the music, meet new people and help out at the same time. And after my shift is over, I can stay as long as I want.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 PM

71 posts, read 287,951 times
Thanks for posting this - it's very interesting! And something to look into when I get to Jacksonville. Especially since I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands when I first move down.

I had a similar volunteer experience where I was able to attend a "gala" event that otherwise wouldn't have been open to me because I volunteered to help set it up - I learned a lot from the event's speakers, met people, & had a great time.

If anyone has any information about volunteering for local animal shelters and related events, etc. - please DM me! I'm not familiar with the different organizations in Jacksonville yet, nor what each of their needs for volunteers is - I plan to look these up, but a point in the right direction would help.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,493,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck123 View Post

If anyone has any information about volunteering for local animal shelters and related events, etc. - please DM me! I'm not familiar with the different organizations in Jacksonville yet, nor what each of their needs for volunteers is - I plan to look these up, but a point in the right direction would help.
I think you're my new favorite person CK!

Our Duval county shelter (a kill shelter) is horrendously underfunded and understaffed, I'm sure they'd welcome you with open arms:

Animal Care and Control

No More Homeless Pets is also a worthy group:

first coast no more homeless pets | Your spay and neuter connection serving jacksonville florida |

Here's our Humane Society (they're okay, but I think they get more funding and volunteers than the others, so this group may not be in as much need):

Jacksonville Humane Society

Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,148,647 times
HIF - dang, your working the "hello may I have your name table" !!!!! How did I miss this
That has to be one of my favorite volunteer activities well until I learn how to be an "auctioneer" and can do that at future fundraisers

I agree with riveree that animal care and control needs volunteers
they have not only the shelter downtown but also a satellite shelter off of 295 in Mandarin

If you like working with people & also love gardening, the Duval county extension office has a Master Gardener program. once you complete training you can chose to volunteer in many different areas helping homeowners with their gardening issues

I have been volunteering for over 30 years so this is a subject that is near & dear to me

Old 04-07-2008, 03:34 AM

Karla-

You have to get me involved at the next event where you are the auctioneer. You must be terrific. We had a professional auctioneer at an annual event this year but it was not as fun as the one last year, who was not a pro, but had the gift of gab and knew those in the audience. It was much more entertaining.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,007,639 times
If you enjoy theater, local nonprofits welcome volunteer ushers:

Orange Park Community Theatre Orange Park Community Theatre

Thrasher-Horne THCA

Theatre Jacksonville in San Marco THEATRE JACKSONVILLE

The Jacksonville Symphony also has volunteer organizations
Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra - Jacksonville, Florida (http://www.jaxsymphony.org/volunteer/index.php - broken link)

I'm not sure if Downtown Ambassadors are volunteer or paid, but one could inquire at Downtown Vision
Downtown Jacksonville: downtown ambassadors (http://www.downtownjacksonville.org/content/?page_id=7 - broken link)

Old 04-07-2008, 06:12 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,148,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Karla-

You have to get me involved at the next event where you are the auctioneer. You must be terrific. We had a professional auctioneer at an annual event this year but it was not as fun as the one last year, who was not a pro, but had the gift of gab and knew those in the audience. It was much more entertaining.
HIF I only got to do the pick a prize items and push the t-shirts this time.

Though rofl I wish you had seen the faces of my hubby & his mom when at our 4-H fundraiser last week after the "auctioneer" finished with the first item and handed me back the mic out of my mouth across the room came
" I have got to learn how to do that" !!! rofl everyone started laughing and said "uh oh"

The guy who was doing the auctioneering offered to teach me but I may look
to see if they have a school of some sorts in the area

How fun does that sound !!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM

92 posts, read 405,075 times
i always volunteered with susan g. komen for the cure when i was in jax

komennorthflorida.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville