Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 PM

15 posts, read 12,148 times

Advertisements

So hubby is currently interviewing for a job in Palm Coast. I'm researching the area since if he does get it we will be moving there. We are debating where to live since I'll need to find work and schools is important to us too. Right now if we try to purchase in st Augustine where the schools are rated 8/9 he will have a commute of 45 min at least. If we purchase in Palm Coast the house cost will be a little less but I know the schools are not rated as high. Any suggestions from people who currently live in either palm coast or the communities along I-95.

We are both used to only 20 min commutes right now so going longer is not something we are too excited for but we also want to be sure the kids are getting a great education. Our current school district in IL is rated 8/9.

Amy suggestions for people that already live there would be great.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,760 times
Most of the schools in south St Johns County are not A rated the good schools are in the north of the County . They are very crowded and frankly ( with a daughter as a teacher in the County) I would look at the individual school rating and
not the overall County.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 AM

9,384 posts, read 8,356,698 times
"Very crowded" is an understatement!

Old 04-17-2018, 07:41 PM

15 posts, read 12,148 times
Our school district we are currently in is 8/9. Palm Coast didn't seem too bad at 7's for elementary and middle but then the high schools were 4/5. Just felt that was a little low, I'm just not sure if a school is rated 4/5, if it would be better to go north to be 8/9 but then the hubby will have a heck of a commute.

Was hoping people from both St Johns and palm coast that current live there would be able to share their insight.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:10 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
If you were to move to northern St Johns County ( where I live), at least your husband will be commuting against traffic if his job is in Palm Coast. Just saying...

Old 04-29-2018, 07:02 AM

110 posts, read 146,419 times
Is private an option? I have friends that left Nocatee for Palm Coast - they got a great house with dock and canal access and a pool for mid $500s and decided on Catholic schools since school is temporary and the house was (for them) going to be forever. Of course Catholic may not be an option if you are Jewish or Agnostic, but St. Joseph's in St. Aug gets commuting kids from both north and south.

Keep in mind too that in order to get the A rated SJC schools, you will have to come north to at least World Gold Village and that will be 35-60 min to Palm Coast depending on where exactly work is, and that is long. Also, I hate to say it but in the last year there have been multiple major accidents on I-95 between St. Aug and Daytona, so while that is rare, on the occasion it happens, you will be commuting for HOURS as state patrol handles the scene. I know - not much of a deterrent, but you should at least know that there are not great alternate routes from I-95. At least where I grew up on Long Island, you had connectors between the 3 east-west highways and could change routes if the traffic came to a long-term halt.

Palm Coast is beautiful and my personal opinion is that it will be in a growth mode very soon - a good time to buy for sure. With so many homes having direct water access at a fraction of the cost to have the same private dock situation here in north St. Johns, I would say it is a wise option! We actually have thought about buying a property down there now to have it later. Many north St. Johns residents would laugh because the schools are not as good, but there are always private options, FLVS is another option for some kids (accredited online, teacher-led Florida public school) and remember that in a blink the kids grow and you will not be in the schools.

Good luck! You will love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville