Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 15,151 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to the St. Augustine area. How do you like living there? Whats the avg for a starter house? I think I'll probably move there and rent for a year to make sure I like it, but just curious to hear opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM

39 posts, read 238,851 times
I live in St. Augustine, and I really like it here. I grew up in Gainesville, FL and went to the university there and then moved away (WAAAAY) up north to Minneapolis for grad school. I loved Minneapolis and was not anxious to leave it, but I was offered a job a few years ago at small college (Flagler) in St. Augustine, and I decided to go for it. It's a beautiful place, and I love the beach here (I am an avid beach-walker on Crescent Beach). For me, it's great. But there are some things I miss about living in such a large city (more ethnic restaurants and cultural opportunities, great nightlife, the huge diversity of people, a major research institution--UMN--and all it brings to the area, having a major international airport and the biggest mall in the US 10 minutes away).

In the area I live (the southern area of St. Augustine--actually St. Johns County), the population is a bit older. I think that's different up in the area closer to Jacksonville near World Golf Village where there are a lot of young families.

Basically, I find St. Augustine very comfortable. Not exciting. But so nice and comfortable. And I have grown used to my comfort; even though I always planned on someday moving back to Minneapolis if the opportunity presented itself, now I am not so inclined to give up my comfort (the weather, the beauty and ease of the beach here, the VERY low cost of living, etc.).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more specific questions!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM

79 posts, read 302,637 times
I lived in St. Augustine for 2 years and then moved, but I recently visited an old friend there after being away for 7 years. I was really sad to see all the new construction going on. The main road has gotten much busier than I remember. I was also SO SAD to see the Bridge of Lions is gone . The beach (where I lived - Anastasia Island) still retains it's charm, and the booming construction hasn't affected it too much. Rent is still affordable (don't know about housing cost - check Realtor.com).
I really loved living in St. Augustine. It really has so much to offer! Go down and check it out!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,741,681 times
To me there are 3 sides to St Augustine. There's the historic side downtown that is the big attraction for tourists, and being the oldest city in America there's a uniqueness to St Augustine that you won't find in any other city. IMO this part of town is where people come to visit not set up residence. It is a tourist town but definitely not sleezy due to all the historical sites.

Then there is the residential side near the waterways where people live to be near the beaches like Anastasia Island and areas like that. Here you find more established houses and the more comfortable retirees for whom commuting to work in Jacksonville is never going to be an issue.

Then halfway between downtown St. Augustine and downtown Jacksonville are areas (like WGV) where working families commute to work in Jax and send their kids to the better schools in St Johns County. Here is where you find the planned developments and the on-going construction. If you live in this area you will need to drive to Jax for your big-item shopping, but this is beginning to change as more businesses move into these areas.

IMO this is a simplistic description of St Augustine. People tend to visit St. Augustine and get only one side of what is really a multi-faceted city. But in general if you like suburban living you would like St. Augustine but if you're looking for that big-city feel you need to move on.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM

154 posts, read 646,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskito View Post
I was also SO SAD to see the Bridge of Lions is gone .
It will be back. They are repairing it.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM

79 posts, read 302,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickP View Post
It will be back. They are repairing it.
I figured they wouldn't do away with it altogether. Is the one next to it temporary until they fix the BOL?

Yes downtown is touristy - making it clean and well kept with awesome restaurants and the historical bed and breakfasts... all things I love about downtown. I remember many locals spending time down there to eat, have a beer, listen to live music, etc. I just hope it doesn't get too built up and lose it's quaint charm.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:58 PM

154 posts, read 646,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskito View Post
I figured they wouldn't do away with it altogether. Is the one next to it temporary until they fix the BOL?
Yup

A Brief History | Bridge of Lions Rehabilitation Project

Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,763,174 times
Quote:
IMO this is a simplistic description of St Augustine. People tend to visit St. Augustine and get only one side of what is really a multi-faceted city. But in general if you like suburban living you would like St. Augustine but if you're looking for that big-city feel you need to move on.
My parents relocated to St Augustine Beach from a suburb of NYC. Every time I visit, I can't get over how much it is like the suburb where I was raised! The only difference being the palm trees and warmer weather. They are happy as clams with their decision to move to St Aug Beach and I am happy for them, but I do miss them something awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville