Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 04:30 PM

444 posts, read 897,861 times

Advertisements

https://spoonuniversity.com/place/50...ksonville-die/

These look amazing. I'm saving this article for when I move to Jacksonville later this year. Would love comments from those of you who have sampled some of these things. Any faves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 11:58 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,763,373 times
Great post! You had me at Metro Diner but I can also vouch for Orsay, Tres Leches and Black Sheep..

Old 04-15-2016, 12:44 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,534,294 times
Is JenKins Quality BBQ on this list?? They are a Duval Standard.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:54 PM

1,564 posts, read 2,158,594 times
Squawking Goat at Maple St. Biscuit Co. is no joke. They were featured on Food Network's "Guilty Pleasures" episode late last year.

The owner at the Jax Beach location is awesome. We had a very hungry toddler and when I complained about how long the food was taking, he personally brought out complimentary warm cinnamon sugar rolls with maple syrup for my son and apologized profusely.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:04 PM

375 posts, read 445,220 times
Burrito Gallery for sure, and I didn't see it but Indochine as well.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 PM

581 posts, read 922,189 times
Palm Valley Fish Camp! Anything...

Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 PM

140 posts, read 168,457 times
I went to North Beach fish camp today... It was delicious! Chicken kebab at Tunis was awesome and Ole had pretty good fajitas... Tried appetizers at Blind Rabbit and was very gooood ..... I will post more when I try some more food

Old 04-18-2016, 06:23 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,517,927 times
I think a "50 Best" anything list is kind of a stretch for JAX. Because you have to get into mediocre territory to get to 50. 25 would be more reasonable. That said - a lot of our favorite restaurants are on this list (as well as some that didn't impress us). There are also some places we've liked that are missing. Personal tastes also vary. I suggest that you work your way around the restaurant scene a little at a time. See what appeals to you.

I think the places you wind up at a lot will depend on where you wind up living. Do you know that yet? Because everything is very spread out. So - for example - we rarely if ever have dinner in the Five Points/Brooklyn/Riverside/Avondale part of town. Because it's a 50 mile round trip from our house. OTOH - we try out new places/return to old favorites in that area for lunch when we happen to be "in the neighborhood" for various reasons. Robyn

Old 04-18-2016, 07:03 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,517,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
Palm Valley Fish Camp! Anything...
We went there once - a party of 4. There wasn't any local fish on the menu - and all the fish we ordered was served "well done" (dried out and basically inedible). It is far from the first time we have had this problem in a Florida seafood restaurant. We have spoken to some local chefs about this - and they say most locals seem to prefer their fish "well-done". Some chefs accommodate this local preference. Others don't. We stick with chefs who prepare fish the way it should be prepared.

FWIW - when I look at some of the places on this list - like Shrimp Shack - I wonder who is doing the tasting/rating? According to several Yelp reviews - the shrimp at Shrimp Shack are frozen. There is basically no excuse for serving frozen shrimp here (an area where you can get great fresh local shrimp almost year round).

Two other observations when looking at local restaurant reviews. There are a fair number of people here who are more interested in the quantity of food than its quality. Which is the only way I can explain the popularity of a place like the Metro Diner. Also - there are a fair number of people here who are salt addicts. So anything that isn't over the top in terms of being salted is dismissed as "bland".

But - like I've mentioned - we all have different tastes. Best to try places out - and decide which ones you like best. Perhaps my biggest complaint is so many restaurants here are inconsistent. For example - we had a lovely meal at Black Sheep first time around. Second time - after waiting 45 minutes for a brunch item - we got one with a poached egg that was so overdone that the yolk was totally solid. Ditto when it came to 2 meals at Matthew's (one very good - one bad - inconsistent). I am reluctant to recommend any place that I haven't been to at least a few times (and where I have found the food to be consistently good). Robyn

Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 AM

9,426 posts, read 8,401,916 times
I think the heading should be re-labeled as "50 things that will cause you to die after eating them"

A burger with doughnuts as buns? Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville