Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM

265 posts, read 995,580 times

Advertisements

I am writing this while listening to a boring lecture so forgive me if there are any errors in this post. I am about to commit an intentional tort on myself if I listen to this lecture any longer. So I will share this with you.

After being here for 8 months one of the problems plaguing Jacksonville is very apparent. I am not talking about the daily news reporting the latest homicide. I am talking about the identity crisis this city has.

When you think of Southeastern cities distinct visions come to mind. Each city has its own flavor and identity.
When you think of New Orleans, Mardi gras, Emril, Bourbon Street, and the French quarter come to mind.
Nashville, Tn. is the home of country music, Opryland, and Southern hospitality.
Atlanta has its own nickname “Hotlanta” the dirty south, Buckhead etc.
Miami has South beach, beautiful people, international flavor, and Cuban enclaves.
Tampa has the bay, 3 sports teams along with Clearwater beach, and the Skyline Bridge.
Orlando, DO I have to do a list?

Jacksonville? What do people think of when they think of Jacksonville, FL? I am sure some of you will chime in with what you think but what do the masses think? Not even the citizens of this city can answer this question. Jacksonville has no identity, there is nothing that all of the people of Jacksonville identify with. There is nothing that unites the city. With all due respect to those who love this city (this includes you riveree and Karla) for any sense of community to form here there has to be a rallying point. The citizens of the cities I mentioned above all identify with their cities. Whether they like the identity of their city or not, it is what it is.

It is apparent the cities forefathers fell asleep at the wheel and the city has become one big strip mall that makes no use of the cities geographic resources. The vision for the city, if present, is not being promoted to the residents of the city. I am pretty sure the Jaguars will not be here much longer and that is a sad statement. They could be a rallying point for the city. I have so much more to say about this but class is over and it’s off to study.

When I leave Jacksonville it’s the people on this forum that I will remember not the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,348,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
I am writing this while listening to a boring lecture so forgive me if there are any errors in this post. I am about to commit an intentional tort on myself if I listen to this lecture any longer. So I will share this with you.

After being here for 8 months one of the problems plaguing Jacksonville is very apparent. I am not talking about the daily news reporting the latest homicide. I am talking about the identity crisis this city has.

When you think of Southeastern cities distinct visions come to mind. Each city has its own flavor and identity.
When you think of New Orleans, Mardi gras, Emril, Bourbon Street, and the French quarter come to mind.
Nashville, Tn. is the home of country music, Opryland, and Southern hospitality.
Atlanta has its own nickname “Hotlanta” the dirty south, Buckhead etc.
Miami has South beach, beautiful people, international flavor, and Cuban enclaves.
Tampa has the bay, 3 sports teams along with Clearwater beach, and the Skyline Bridge.
Orlando, DO I have to do a list?

Jacksonville? What do people think of when they think of Jacksonville, FL? I am sure some of you will chime in with what you think but what do the masses think? Not even the citizens of this city can answer this question. Jacksonville has no identity, there is nothing that all of the people of Jacksonville identify with. There is nothing that unites the city. With all due respect to those who love this city (this includes you riveree and Karla) for any sense of community to form here there has to be a rallying point. The citizens of the cities I mentioned above all identify with their cities. Whether they like the identity of their city or not, it is what it is.

It is apparent the cities forefathers fell asleep at the wheel and the city has become one big strip mall that makes no use of the cities geographic resources. The vision for the city, if present, is not being promoted to the residents of the city. I am pretty sure the Jaguars will not be here much longer and that is a sad statement. They could be a rallying point for the city. I have so much more to say about this but class is over and it’s off to study.

When I leave Jacksonville it’s the people on this forum that I will remember not the city.
I agree with you, and think this is very well said. I've said before that it is very sad....this city has so much potential that is not being capitalized on. If I cared enough (I'm leaving so I don't) to figure out why...I'm sure it has more to do with the local gov than anything.

I've also said before that no one area is self sustaining for anything memorable. Sure, St. Aug is historic, and everyone knows about St. Aug...but with it being 40 miles from Jax city....I don't really consider it inclusive of Jax. It's kind of like saying Sarasota is part of Tampa.

Most people WHO DON'T LIVE IN JAX OR FLORIDA call jax the armpit of FL. Is this b/c it is? no....it's because it doesn't have the advertising positive draws of other areas. it doesn't try to capitalize on anything. The reason it's growing isn't b/c of anything special. Sadly, it's b/c it's cheap. But, as we see...it won't be for long. Prices have risen substantially in the past 5 years. My friends built a home 6 years ago at 9A and Baymeadows...they had a farm across the street....now, it's one of the busiest areas. There is a reason that Jax was the least expensive place to live in FL until recently...no one came here.

It's really not Jax that needs to change, but the local gov really needs a swift kick in the face, and a fire under their butts. This is all IMO obviously, and i'm not trying to diss Jax.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Default continued

Continued because this class is boring also.

I stated the problem without a solution. First things first, I am part of the problem and that is I am transient. I am only passing through Jax on my way to who knows where. I believe that a large part of the Jax population is also transient. With people always coming and going it is hard to establish a sense of community. There is also the fact that there are so many people here that have been here less than five years. They bring with them the love of where they left. They bring with them the loyalty to the sports teams they left behind. They bring with them the love for different foods and customs. This is all positive in my mind all except the loyalty to the sports teams they left behind. It is going to take time for all of these newly transplanted families to start identifying with Jacksonville. But that will never happen if the city doesn’t start promoting itself and its assets. I truly believe that there is something, maybe the Jaguars, maybe a new building, more likely a new company, that could be the beacon for the city. I have to say I really like the people of Jax, my neighborhood being the exception to the rule. My family really enjoys the STJC, restaurants, and beaches. But if the powers that be for some strange reason read this lil ol post. Then I would tell them to find the pulse of the city and promote it. With this would come all of the things that everyone is missing. The culture, the arts, the downtown life would all come to fruition. I am not saying that these things do not exist. I believe mawipafl usually keeps us abreast of these goings on . But they are not of the magnitude or regularity that I would love to see in Jax..

The prof is asking me a question man I am screwed. I wish ya’ll were here to see me crash and burn, man that was painful

Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,019,282 times
You're all absolutely correct - Jacksonville has no identity. Although there are great things here such as the zoo, Cummer, MOCA, Jaguars, Prime Osborn, Times-Union, Florida Theatre, etc., sadly none of these things are so unique that something similar can't be found anywhere else.

Besides knockin' on the noggins of the powers-that-be with "hello McFly", what creative ideas do you all have?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,341,555 times
I've been gone from Jacksonville since 2003 and for the 5 years that I was there I saw people not getting along, not supporting anything or eachother or their city. Of course politics has a lot to do with it but the citizens themselves seem to have no sence of belonging. Lots of people are there from other states for the cheaper colleges and once they get their degree they move back home, that doesn't help either. I've met many who said they couldn't wait to go home.
The downtown is a disgrace with nothing to do or nothing going on, compare it to other downtowns; downtown Jax is a place to avoid, not meet others and go out in at night.
They have so much potential with the river and the weather (for those who like it).

Old 02-06-2008, 02:12 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,696,357 times
The prof is asking me a question man I am screwed. I wish ya’ll were here to see me crash and burn, man that was painful

You absolutely crack me up. I'm sitting here reading everything you posted today and having the best time. Your classes must be really boring because you've written a lot today. It makes me think - I'm glad my students don't have access to laptops when I'm teaching.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,348,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I've been gone from Jacksonville since 2003 and for the 5 years that I was there I saw people not getting along, not supporting anything or eachother or their city. Of course politics has a lot to do with it but the citizens themselves seem to have no sence of belonging. Lots of people are there from other states for the cheaper colleges and once they get their degree they move back home, that doesn't help either. I've met many who said they couldn't wait to go home.
The downtown is a disgrace with nothing to do or nothing going on, compare it to other downtowns; downtown Jax is a place to avoid, not meet others and go out in at night.
They have so much potential with the river and the weather (for those who like it).
I agree with you Maggie. A friend of mine who lived in Jacksonville for years quoted "you have to work very hard to live happily in Jacksonville". Not sure what she meant...I live here, and understand some of it...but it's too lengthy to write. The friends I have who love it here are the friends I have who can't make any individual decisions. They are afraid to leave b/c "what would I do about doctors, daycare, my Jags tickets, etc"? These friends can't believe anyone would want to live anywhere else...but the truth is...they have only ever lived here.

I think it's a fine city, can offer a great family atmosphere. It's still relatively affordable, and pretty in some areas. However, when I talk about cities I've loved living in...it's because of some identifyable quality. I haven't found that here. There is nothing that I'll long for when I leave. That..is why I don't love Jacksonville.

When I leave I'll say "it was fine...nice". But, I can't think of one single thing I'll say "ya know, I really miss this or that about Jacksonville". There is no real identity to this city.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:02 PM

718 posts, read 1,152,875 times
I don't agree that there is a "Jacksonville problem" at all.

After nearly two decades of living and working in New York City and its surroundings, I got tired of the high cost of living, government corruption, over-crowding, traffic, cold weather, stressful life, etc....

I needed a change. So where to look? It would be idiotic to look at other large cities like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, LA, or even Miami as they would most likely have the same "big city" problems. That's why I targetted the smaller towns and cities, Jacksonville being one of them.

I looked at Jacksonville as Los Angeles would have been over 50 years ago: spread out, sparsely populated, good-potentially-great beaches, with still a lot of space and relatively cheap land in the outskirts of the city.

I personally moved to Jacksonville, looking for the small town feel and was pleasantly suprised at how modern Jacksonville actually is. The St. Johns River is a huge bonus. I love living here! I've been living here since June 2007 and have loved every minute of it.

Was I looking for big city living, the night life, big government, high taxes, culture, etc.. etc... No, of course not. I was looking for a nice, stress-free life, with modern touches here and there, and huge potential for the future. I found it in spades in Jacksonville. And the absolute wonderful weather here?! Even the worst summer in Jacksonville is better than a bad summer in NJ or the concrete jungle of NYC.

I actually wish Jacksonville grows a bit slower. I want to enjoy this little town feeling a bit more. I certainly don't want Jacksonville to grow like Miami or Orlando. And specially not like the bigger cities like NYC, Boston nor Chicago. If that's what I wanted, guess what? They already exist. I could have easily moved to any of those cities. I like Jacksonville the way it is: the biggest "little" city in the USA. There's an "Identity" for you.

As for "Identity", well, .... personally, it doesn't really do anything for me. I mean, I lived in NYC for several years and "The City That Never Sleeps", "The Big Apple", "The Big Enchilada", "Nuevo York", "The Yankees", "The Mets", etc.... didn't really do anything for me either.

And if you think there's not much to do in Jacksonville, maybe you haven't been trying hard enough. Or don't have as many friends as where you came from. There's tons to do outdoors. You have most of the year to enjoy nature. Not stuck indoors because of the cold up north. You may not find the things you're used to doing. But there's tons of alternative things to do: i.e. outdoor sports.

So maybe the club scene isn't as good or trendy as in the big cities. That's not a problem for me, since I'd rather ride a motorcycle with friends. Or go take a walk on the beach at night. Or boating / sailing. Or camping. Or play tennis or racquetball. Etc... Maybe one reason those big cities have such a lively and trendy club scene is that they have very few alternatives but to stay indoors, in clubs. And drink. And pop pills. And dance. Cause if you ain't doing those things, guess what? You ain't chillin' ?!

I still fly up to NY/NJ once or twice a month. And frankly, every time I'm up there, I can't wait to get back to Jacksonville. I was in NY/NJ last weekend. Just last Friday morning, I had to go meet some friends in NYC. I took the train in, just as I'd done for the last decade. Only this time, I'd been living in Jacksonville for roughly 8 months. Let me tell you, I've got a totally different perspective now. It was like I was a fly on the wall, observing these commuters (lemmings?). I couldn't believe that for decades, I was like these people, spending 1.5 to 2 hours each way, to get to work, in crowded trains or buses, fighting through the crowds in the bus or train stations and the streets on Manhattan. Then another 1.5 to 2 hours for the rush hour home. And for what? A stressful job? Unless someone's paying me at least 200 grand, I am not taking any job back in NYC.

"Oh, but there's the night life, clubbing, Broadway, museums, etc.... ". No thanks. I'll take "boring" Jacksonville anytime,... the beaches, extended lunches, 15 - 20 minute commutes, the friendly people, etc... did I even mention, the weather?! Let's see: do I want to spend 4 hours in a museum, where they have old, crumbling mand-made stuff on exhibit? Or observe nature in all its glory in some swamp or forest? Watch a Broadway show ? Or go scuba diving to watch the various marine life?

"Jacksonville problem"? Okay, maybe urban sprawl.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM

So if I follow your train of thought it would go thusly.

Jacksonville....."not as bad as New York"

I think your missing the point. While we all do enjoy the traits you mentioned. We don't want to be compared to NY.

Let's try another approach. The positive things you mentioned are they advertised well? Do people from outside of our fair city know they exist? I love the web you are spinning and the positive vibe and it is that vibe that needs to be the first thing people think about when they think about Jacksonville. Follow?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM

718 posts, read 1,152,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
So if I follow your train of thought it would go thusly.

Jacksonville....."not as bad as New York"

I think your missing the point. While we all do enjoy the traits you mentioned. We don't want to be compared to NY.

Let's try another approach. The positive things you mentioned are they advertised well? Do people from outside of our fair city know they exist? I love the web you are spinning and the positive vibe and it is that vibe that needs to be the first thing people think about when they think about Jacksonville. Follow?
Ah,... condescension. So, you can write about your opinion on Jax, and my opinion is "spin". In your world, my happy experience in Jax cannot possibly be true and is most likely a positive spin. Got it. Now I know where you're coming from.

And your point was Jacksonville has some kind of "Identity Problem"? That it has to be solved? That you possibly will submit some kind of solution at some point in time? (Oh, it's been submitted!). Is it at all possible that you are over analyzing this said "problem"? Now you're talking about advertising and maybe promoting our fair city?

Now I know you're smoking your stash!

Like you said about the other cities: "It is what it is". At your young age (I'm assuming you are young, being a law student), just chill out and enjoy what Jacksonville has to offer. Stop worrying about promoting Jacksonville as a first tier city to the world. It ain't and maybe should not even try to be.

The comparison to life in NYC was simply to emphasize how much I love living here in Jax. And in case you haven't noticed, there's a ton of NY/NJ folks now living in Jackosonville and all over Florida. Like it or not, there will always be comparisons to the NY area. And I, for one, think Jacksonville compares very well.

Let's see, I know at least 18 people in my office that moved down to Jax from our NY & NJ offices. Everyone, and I stress, EVERYONE of these 18 folks have no regrets about making the move. They're really happy here!

Then I go to the Jacksonville forum and find out that Jacksonville has an "Identity Problem"?!

Now which Jacksonville experience should I believe more? My own, as well as people I work with everyday? Or some posters on a forum who, for whatever reason, are not too happy in Jacksonville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville