Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 AM

22 posts, read 108,071 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

How about "Jax Works" for a tag? It is a working city, not a tourist trap or retirement haven. A tag should be "short and sweet," after all, and the repeated consonant adds bite. One could infer a suitable ending, such as "works for me," or associate it with a common phrase like, "With the works," i.e., loaded, like a deli sandwich. Just tossing this out for some feedback.

Cheers,

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 AM

14 posts, read 31,979 times
The truth is most people who move to Jacksonville come here because of their jobs in banking, healthcare, or the military. Once they get here, they feel whatever it is that makes Jacksonville special and they love it. Most stay forever or retire back here. Most feel at home here right away because it has so many transplants.
The city could work on it's branding, I agree with that. They started something like where FL begins a while back but it just didn't catch on. Oh well, I love it here! I likely never leave.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
Ok ctnski, how's this Burma Shave ad for Jax:

If you think Jax works
There's no tourist traps here
You can have a deli sandwich
And belly up for a beer
... Jacksonville

Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 AM

22 posts, read 108,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Ok ctnski, how's this Burma Shave ad for Jax:

If you think Jax works
There's no tourist traps here
You can have a deli sandwich
And belly up for a beer
... Jacksonville
Bravo! We should have those signs on I-10 east and I-95, north and south, leading into the River City that Works: Jax.

Craig

Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 11,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I don't agree that there is a "Jacksonville problem" at all.

After nearly two decades of living and working in New York City and its surroundings, I got tired of the high cost of living, government corruption, over-crowding, traffic, cold weather, stressful life, etc....

I needed a change. So where to look? It would be idiotic to look at other large cities like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, LA, or even Miami as they would most likely have the same "big city" problems. That's why I targetted the smaller towns and cities, Jacksonville being one of them.

I looked at Jacksonville as Los Angeles would have been over 50 years ago: spread out, sparsely populated, good-potentially-great beaches, with still a lot of space and relatively cheap land in the outskirts of the city.

I personally moved to Jacksonville, looking for the small town feel and was pleasantly suprised at how modern Jacksonville actually is. The St. Johns River is a huge bonus. I love living here! I've been living here since June 2007 and have loved every minute of it.

Was I looking for big city living, the night life, big government, high taxes, culture, etc.. etc... No, of course not. I was looking for a nice, stress-free life, with modern touches here and there, and huge potential for the future. I found it in spades in Jacksonville. And the absolute wonderful weather here?! Even the worst summer in Jacksonville is better than a bad summer in NJ or the concrete jungle of NYC.

I actually wish Jacksonville grows a bit slower. I want to enjoy this little town feeling a bit more. I certainly don't want Jacksonville to grow like Miami or Orlando. And specially not like the bigger cities like NYC, Boston nor Chicago. If that's what I wanted, guess what? They already exist. I could have easily moved to any of those cities. I like Jacksonville the way it is: the biggest "little" city in the USA. There's an "Identity" for you.

As for "Identity", well, .... personally, it doesn't really do anything for me. I mean, I lived in NYC for several years and "The City That Never Sleeps", "The Big Apple", "The Big Enchilada", "Nuevo York", "The Yankees", "The Mets", etc.... didn't really do anything for me either.

And if you think there's not much to do in Jacksonville, maybe you haven't been trying hard enough. Or don't have as many friends as where you came from. There's tons to do outdoors. You have most of the year to enjoy nature. Not stuck indoors because of the cold up north. You may not find the things you're used to doing. But there's tons of alternative things to do: i.e. outdoor sports.

So maybe the club scene isn't as good or trendy as in the big cities. That's not a problem for me, since I'd rather ride a motorcycle with friends. Or go take a walk on the beach at night. Or boating / sailing. Or camping. Or play tennis or racquetball. Etc... Maybe one reason those big cities have such a lively and trendy club scene is that they have very few alternatives but to stay indoors, in clubs. And drink. And pop pills. And dance. Cause if you ain't doing those things, guess what? You ain't chillin' ?!

I still fly up to NY/NJ once or twice a month. And frankly, every time I'm up there, I can't wait to get back to Jacksonville. I was in NY/NJ last weekend. Just last Friday morning, I had to go meet some friends in NYC. I took the train in, just as I'd done for the last decade. Only this time, I'd been living in Jacksonville for roughly 8 months. Let me tell you, I've got a totally different perspective now. It was like I was a fly on the wall, observing these commuters (lemmings?). I couldn't believe that for decades, I was like these people, spending 1.5 to 2 hours each way, to get to work, in crowded trains or buses, fighting through the crowds in the bus or train stations and the streets on Manhattan. Then another 1.5 to 2 hours for the rush hour home. And for what? A stressful job? Unless someone's paying me at least 200 grand, I am not taking any job back in NYC.

"Oh, but there's the night life, clubbing, Broadway, museums, etc.... ". No thanks. I'll take "boring" Jacksonville anytime,... the beaches, extended lunches, 15 - 20 minute commutes, the friendly people, etc... did I even mention, the weather?! Let's see: do I want to spend 4 hours in a museum, where they have old, crumbling mand-made stuff on exhibit? Or observe nature in all its glory in some swamp or forest? Watch a Broadway show ? Or go scuba diving to watch the various marine life?

"Jacksonville problem"? Okay, maybe urban sprawl.

OH wow I agree with u 110 percent! i currently live in NYc have been living here all my life. My bf is currently stationed in jax and i go there every month and i am absolutely in love with jax! everytime i come back here to NY i just see the difference ive been so stressed out living here having a high stressed job , the subways is the worse part of my day! i spent a month in jacksonville and i didnt want to come back here to NYC. People were polite and nice than here where cabbies try to run u over or people dont say excuse me if they bump u or hit u with their purse instead they curse u out. Im tired of all this and have been wanting to move to jax and change of scene. I appreciate the laid back atmosphere, the nature instead of seeing skyscrappers every single day! i work right in the heart of ny and believe me when i get out of work i make sure not to walk on the main streets because its wayyy too many people and they can just shove u not even say excuse me. forget it im done with nyc im planning to make my move before i lose my head here!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:29 PM

22 posts, read 177,127 times
Default I love Jacksonville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
I am writing this while listening to a boring lecture so forgive me if there are any errors in this post. I am about to commit an intentional tort on myself if I listen to this lecture any longer. So I will share this with you.

After being here for 8 months one of the problems plaguing Jacksonville is very apparent. I am not talking about the daily news reporting the latest homicide. I am talking about the identity crisis this city has.

When you think of Southeastern cities distinct visions come to mind. Each city has its own flavor and identity.
When you think of New Orleans, Mardi gras, Emril, Bourbon Street, and the French quarter come to mind.
Nashville, Tn. is the home of country music, Opryland, and Southern hospitality.
Atlanta has its own nickname “Hotlanta” the dirty south, Buckhead etc.
Miami has South beach, beautiful people, international flavor, and Cuban enclaves.
Tampa has the bay, 3 sports teams along with Clearwater beach, and the Skyline Bridge.
Orlando, DO I have to do a list?

Jacksonville? What do people think of when they think of Jacksonville, FL? I am sure some of you will chime in with what you think but what do the masses think? Not even the citizens of this city can answer this question. Jacksonville has no identity, there is nothing that all of the people of Jacksonville identify with. There is nothing that unites the city. With all due respect to those who love this city (this includes you riveree and Karla) for any sense of community to form here there has to be a rallying point. The citizens of the cities I mentioned above all identify with their cities. Whether they like the identity of their city or not, it is what it is.

It is apparent the cities forefathers fell asleep at the wheel and the city has become one big strip mall that makes no use of the cities geographic resources. The vision for the city, if present, is not being promoted to the residents of the city. I am pretty sure the Jaguars will not be here much longer and that is a sad statement. They could be a rallying point for the city. I have so much more to say about this but class is over and it’s off to study.

When I leave Jacksonville it’s the people on this forum that I will remember not the city.
I grew up in Jacksonville. Our parents were always taking us somewhere fun.We frequented concerts, the zoo, museums. Jacksonville Beach was so beautiful in the 60's--And you could drive on the beach. We took day trips to Ft Caroline,Talbot Island, Fernindina Beach. There is so much to do in Jacksonville. How about volunteering some time to help others less fortunate. Join a church -join a club. Get involved if you don't like the way things are!! dcarlo

Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 PM

94 posts, read 482,134 times
you should have tried homossaa florida...very calm there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I don't agree that there is a "Jacksonville problem" at all.

After nearly two decades of living and working in New York City and its surroundings, I got tired of the high cost of living, government corruption, over-crowding, traffic, cold weather, stressful life, etc....

I needed a change. So where to look? It would be idiotic to look at other large cities like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, LA, or even Miami as they would most likely have the same "big city" problems. That's why I targetted the smaller towns and cities, Jacksonville being one of them.

I looked at Jacksonville as Los Angeles would have been over 50 years ago: spread out, sparsely populated, good-potentially-great beaches, with still a lot of space and relatively cheap land in the outskirts of the city.

I personally moved to Jacksonville, looking for the small town feel and was pleasantly suprised at how modern Jacksonville actually is. The St. Johns River is a huge bonus. I love living here! I've been living here since June 2007 and have loved every minute of it.

Was I looking for big city living, the night life, big government, high taxes, culture, etc.. etc... No, of course not. I was looking for a nice, stress-free life, with modern touches here and there, and huge potential for the future. I found it in spades in Jacksonville. And the absolute wonderful weather here?! Even the worst summer in Jacksonville is better than a bad summer in NJ or the concrete jungle of NYC.

I actually wish Jacksonville grows a bit slower. I want to enjoy this little town feeling a bit more. I certainly don't want Jacksonville to grow like Miami or Orlando. And specially not like the bigger cities like NYC, Boston nor Chicago. If that's what I wanted, guess what? They already exist. I could have easily moved to any of those cities. I like Jacksonville the way it is: the biggest "little" city in the USA. There's an "Identity" for you.

As for "Identity", well, .... personally, it doesn't really do anything for me. I mean, I lived in NYC for several years and "The City That Never Sleeps", "The Big Apple", "The Big Enchilada", "Nuevo York", "The Yankees", "The Mets", etc.... didn't really do anything for me either.

And if you think there's not much to do in Jacksonville, maybe you haven't been trying hard enough. Or don't have as many friends as where you came from. There's tons to do outdoors. You have most of the year to enjoy nature. Not stuck indoors because of the cold up north. You may not find the things you're used to doing. But there's tons of alternative things to do: i.e. outdoor sports.

So maybe the club scene isn't as good or trendy as in the big cities. That's not a problem for me, since I'd rather ride a motorcycle with friends. Or go take a walk on the beach at night. Or boating / sailing. Or camping. Or play tennis or racquetball. Etc... Maybe one reason those big cities have such a lively and trendy club scene is that they have very few alternatives but to stay indoors, in clubs. And drink. And pop pills. And dance. Cause if you ain't doing those things, guess what? You ain't chillin' ?!

I still fly up to NY/NJ once or twice a month. And frankly, every time I'm up there, I can't wait to get back to Jacksonville. I was in NY/NJ last weekend. Just last Friday morning, I had to go meet some friends in NYC. I took the train in, just as I'd done for the last decade. Only this time, I'd been living in Jacksonville for roughly 8 months. Let me tell you, I've got a totally different perspective now. It was like I was a fly on the wall, observing these commuters (lemmings?). I couldn't believe that for decades, I was like these people, spending 1.5 to 2 hours each way, to get to work, in crowded trains or buses, fighting through the crowds in the bus or train stations and the streets on Manhattan. Then another 1.5 to 2 hours for the rush hour home. And for what? A stressful job? Unless someone's paying me at least 200 grand, I am not taking any job back in NYC.

"Oh, but there's the night life, clubbing, Broadway, museums, etc.... ". No thanks. I'll take "boring" Jacksonville anytime,... the beaches, extended lunches, 15 - 20 minute commutes, the friendly people, etc... did I even mention, the weather?! Let's see: do I want to spend 4 hours in a museum, where they have old, crumbling mand-made stuff on exhibit? Or observe nature in all its glory in some swamp or forest? Watch a Broadway show ? Or go scuba diving to watch the various marine life?

"Jacksonville problem"? Okay, maybe urban sprawl.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 PM

94 posts, read 482,134 times
lawstudent...i too am just passing by. i am going to school and then leaving.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,960 times
I've been reading all the posts and someone mentioned Jax being a military city and people being transients, and so forth, so I felt the need to post. I met my husband, who is in the Navy, in Jax a few yrs. back. Knew nothing about the city, only passing through with a friend. Started a long distance relationship and almost 2 yrs. later moved down to Jax. Being from a small southern city, I won't say exactly where, but it has the charm, character, hospitality, and diversity that most people are talking about. I lived in Jax for 8 months with him and I HATED it. I found myself going back home quite a bit, because I never found my place, or at least I thought I hadn't. We moved after those 8 mths. with orders to Pensacola, an even smaller city, with none of the things Jax had to offer, except a beach, a MUCH better beach (imo), and I remember crying after a week in Pensacola because I missed Jax and the shopping areas I visited, going to the Orange Park mall on Sun. to catch a matinee, boating with friends on the St. Johns River. Hitting "Slirwoods", I mean Sherwoods after the other bars closed downtown, bringing in the New Year at River City Brewing Co. with all of my friends who came to visit from back home. I didn't know how much I would miss those simple things, until I left. I made lifelong memories and friends there.

We have been gone from the Jax area now for over 5 years. We have lived in other great places like Ft. Worth, TX and New Orleans, LA and I've enjoyed what those cities had to offer, but like every place, they get old, too. There's only so many times you can hit the Stockyards in Ft. Wth. or the French Quarter....besides, all the locals here will tell you....you gotta get outta the quarta! Living in all those places were a HUGE adjustment for me. Everything has a price. Yes, there are great things about New Orleans, but there are TONS of problems with this city, Katrina helped bring those to light, but NO has been battling crime and corruption for years. TX was nice, people were super friendly, can't tell you the number of people that would walk past us on the street, if my husband was in uniform, and thank him for his service AND it's not everyday you see a Mexican cowboy riding a longhorn down the street!! , but it's hot as hades and the property taxes are outrageous.

Despite all the great places we have lived since being in Jax, every time my husband is up for orders, I ask "is there any chance of getting back to Jax?" For us, it's about family, now. The idea of raising our children there appeals to us and many other military families. Believe it or not, it is very hard to get orders back to Jax if you're Navy, because EVERYONE wants Jax (or at least that's what the detailers are saying). I'm sure their reasons are probably the same, but I can't say for sure.

All I know is that when we leave NOLA next year to move back to Jax, I'll probably cry again, and miss the little things that have made this home for me, too, just like I did when I left Ft. Worth, Pensacola, and Jax the first time. Why? well, because each place has had a huge significance in my life and I've enjoyed it for what it was. That is what everyone means by "it is what it is". Take Jax for what it is, enjoy the things it has to offer and believe me, it has things to offer! You've just got to find it for yourself.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,898 times
ReadLikeYourLifeDependsOnIt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville