Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,981 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are from Pittsburgh, Pa (GO STEELERS!). My husband works for Reinhart food services as a truck driver and recently got a job offer to move down there and work out of the Jacksonville division. We qualify for a VA home loan and want to get a 3bd 2 bath house with in 30 minutes of the city. We have 2 kids (2 and 6 months) so saftey and family friendly areas are a must. We need to stay under $150,000. I pretty much know absolutely nothing about buying a house and all the costs that come with it. Please give me any information you can! Utility costs for similar homes, gas prices, taxes etc. ANY INFORMATION WILL BE HELPFUL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 PM

7,782 posts, read 10,256,415 times
What does within 30 minutes of the city mean? Is "the city" downtown Jax? Or do you want to be thirty minutes outside the "city limits," which for Jax is really far away as it's the largest city land-wise in the continental US.

Anyway, 150k is a tad bit limiting but there are still decent options at that price all over the metro. You might want to hone into a more specific part of town based on your desires and your husband's job location.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,917,946 times
Rhinehart's facility is on the westside of Jacksonville near I-295 and Pritchard Rd. My suggestion is to look at housing in Macclenney, FL (in Baker County) which is approx. 30 mile drive from Rhinehart , west of Jacksonville out I-10. This gets you away from the Duval County schools, into a lower taxing county and into a very safe, family friendly community. Housing there is very reasonably priced and you should find a nice house in your price range. The zipcode in Macclenney is 32063.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,981 times
Projectmaximus, i mean 30 minutes outside of downtown. Would even go 40-50 minutes outside of downtown being that his company sits right outside of downtown from the looks of it. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 PM

7,782 posts, read 10,256,415 times
Ok. And what are you looking for? Something quasi-rural or is suburban fine. Cause most of Jax is one giant suburb. There's really no need to be worried about being "in the city."

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,349,218 times
40 - 50 minutes outside of Downtown Jacksonville could go all the way to Sanderson, FL. (west) or the Georgia state line (north) or to just about St Augustine (south)which is a mighty wide area. If his job is near Pritchard and I-295 as ssclulow suggests above, I'd recommend looking near the Old Plank Rd and Chaffee Rd intersection as Chaffee Rd now runs all the way to Pritchard Rd and the commute (less than 15 minutes) would be very short to his work address. There are several HOA communities near there and plenty of non-community homes also.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 PM

375 posts, read 447,963 times
Search Zip Codes 32219, 32221, 32220, 32234. Also cities Maclenny, and Baldwin. These areas will have a mix of Rural, old established neighborhoods and new subdivisions. Schools are a case by case basis. You will have some good, some not so good. Maclenny is in another county (Baker) and all the others including Baldwin is in Duval. As mentioned earlier, 150K will limit you but it can be found if you are willing to put a little work into it. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 AM

97 posts, read 217,935 times
Hello Pittsburgh!

I relocated here a little over five years ago. Grew up in the South Hills and later moved out by the airport. Let me know what area are you from and I can maybe guide you to a similar area here. That being said...

Reinhart is on the West Side of Jacksonville, which is one of the most affordable areas in the city. You can absolutely find a nice 3/2 home in that area in your price range. Some even brand new!

Costs here are weirdly similar to Pittsburgh. Gas right now (it has gone down somewhat in the last couple of weeks) is about 3.50/gallon. Food is almost exactly the same - I though fish would be less but its not . Car insurance is higher. Taxes for most areas are lower. I have an 1800 SF 2-level home and my utility (water/electric combined) are about $200/month at 77 for AC and about $150 in the winter.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 4,332 times
Not macclenny, Yulee. cheaper, close to fernandina without paying and country. I have family that lives out there and minutes from Pritchard Rd. Macclenny, 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville