Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,034 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Jacksonville for a job. Because I will be working downtown and don't know much about the city, I thought it might be best to move close to my workplace. I have looked at a number of places, and I had just decided on the Strand. Then I read a review that said it is very loud there, and I really have to live in a quiet place. Any help would be appreciated. Please don't tell me that if I live downtown I have to expect noise and that I will get used to it because I won't get used to it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noise phobe View Post
I am moving to Jacksonville for a job. Because I will be working downtown and don't know much about the city, I thought it might be best to move close to my workplace. I have looked at a number of places, and I had just decided on the Strand. Then I read a review that said it is very loud there, and I really have to live in a quiet place. Any help would be appreciated. Please don't tell me that if I live downtown I have to expect noise and that I will get used to it because I won't get used to it. Thank you.
You can't get a much deader city than downtown Jax LOL.

Noise as in people living in a building or noise as in city noise? It is not "very loud there". About once a year there may be a party in the lobby that you can hear in the common areas not in your apartment. During the Fl Ga football game and on holiday there MIGHT be some people in the common areas that aren't whispering god forbid LOLOL. And yes sometimes dogs bark in the lobby coming and going if they run into other dogs. For about 20 seconds.

If you're going to live downtown there is no address that is less "quiet" than any other. I lived at the Strand and worked in every building downtown as a pet sitter/dog walker and the noise level is exactly the same. I never heard anything other than occasionally there's a band at the Landing and you hear faint music from like 8 - 10 pm on a Friday night a couple times a summer. And fireworks on holidays. Just like anywhere.

You were there when you looked at a number of places, right?...so what noise did you hear???

There is also a train near downtown and some people would complain about that too. The train runs all the way south like right here in Vero and every now and then you hear a faint evidence of it EVERYWHERE.

LOL why are you saying don't tell you that "if you live downtown you have to expect noise" when it's a true statement? Except in the case of Jax because the downtown rolls up the sidewalks at 7 PM except for the bar on the corner by Florida Theater there are some people there.

ANYWHERE you move you take a chance of idiot neighbors, especially if you're a renter...at least in The Strand you have a 24 hour concierge to tell idiots to shut up. I wouldn't live anywhere else, to be honest. I was there 4 years until I had to move to Avondale to do a 5 month live in job for a client, so I moved to her house. Two other quiet buildings are 11 East and The Carling. They don't even have pools or much socializing and they're older, too. I'm not crazy about the parking garage at the Carling as a woman, it is not secure from the street and anyone can walk in and up the levels, unlike the sister building 11 East. But nothing every happened to me there. Actually 11 East apartments are nicer IMO because they have polished concrete floors that I like. And I STILL never heard a thing sleeping in both buildings. But no way are they as nice as The Strand. But no concierges.

You may find a condo rental at The Berkman and it's quiet there too. So is The Peninsula and San Marco Place because there are majority owner occupied there. But the Peninsula has parties so you're going to hear humans in the common areas on those nights. NOT in the unit. Now that I think about it San Marco Place is probably the "quietest" if I had to pick one. Any building that is renters is going to be marginally more BUSY than owner occupied because the owner occupied are a large percentage older people or more "fussy". But there are renters in all of them, just private rentals by the unit owners.

Do you really think a building is going to have 250 people paying premium rent to live in noise? No. Then again you may have an extreme idea of what noise is more than most people.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-25-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,285,752 times
Quote:
The Strand is very nice and noise shouldn't be an issue.

Downtown has popular spots, but it's very hit & miss, so noise isn't a big issue. Enjoy it.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 AM

I mean tenant noise. And yes, I probably do have what you would consider an extreme idea of what is noise.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You can't get a much deader city than downtown Jax LOL.

Noise as in people living in a building or noise as in city noise? It is not "very loud there". About once a year there may be a party in the lobby that you can hear in the common areas not in your apartment. During the Fl Ga football game and on holiday there MIGHT be some people in the common areas that aren't whispering god forbid LOLOL. And yes sometimes dogs bark in the lobby coming and going if they run into other dogs. For about 20 seconds.

If you're going to live downtown there is no address that is less "quiet" than any other. I lived at the Strand and worked in every building downtown as a pet sitter/dog walker and the noise level is exactly the same. I never heard anything other than occasionally there's a band at the Landing and you hear faint music from like 8 - 10 pm on a Friday night a couple times a summer. And fireworks on holidays. Just like .

You were there when you looked at a number of places, right?...so what noise did you hear???

There is also a train near downtown and some people would complain about that too. The train runs all the way south like right here in Vero and every now and then you hear a faint evidence of it EVERYWHERE.

LOL why are you saying don't tell you that "if you live downtown you have to expect noise" when it's a true statement? Except in the case of Jax because the downtown rolls up the sidewalks at 7 PM except for the bar on the corner by Florida Theater there are some people there.

ANYWHERE you move you take a chance of idiot neighbors, especially if you're a renter...at least in The Strand you have a 24 hour concierge to tell idiots to shut up. I wouldn't live anywhere else, to be honest. I was there 4 years until I had to move to Avondale to do a 5 month live in job for a client, so I moved to her house. Two other quiet buildings are 11 East and The Carling. They don't even have pools or much socializing and they're older, too. I'm not crazy about the parking garage at the Carling as a woman, it is not secure from the street and anyone can walk in and up the levels, unlike the sister building 11 East. But nothing every happened to me there. Actually 11 East apartments are nicer IMO because they have polished concrete floors that I like. And I STILL never heard a thing sleeping in both buildings. But no way are they as nice as The Strand. But no concierges.

You may find a condo rental at The Berkman and it's quiet there too. So is The Peninsula and San Marco Place because there are majority owner occupied there. But the Peninsula has parties so you're going to hear humans in the common areas on those nights. NOT in the unit. Now that I think about it San Marco Place is probably the "quietest" if I had to pick one. Any building that is renters is going to be marginally more BUSY than owner occupied because the owner occupied are a large percentage older people or more "fussy". But there are renters in all of them, just private rentals by the unit owners.

Do you really think a building is going to have 250 people paying premium rent to live in noise? No. Then again you may have an extreme idea of what noise is more than most people.
You're a dog walker, right? Probably accustomed to yipping and yapping and so on? I'm a musician with extraordinarily keen hearing. Our noise tolerance level is probably quite different. But you make a lot of good points, especially about owner-inhabited buildings vs tenanted buildings. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:14 AM

195 posts, read 322,528 times
I got off work this morning and went to take some pictures of the sunrise, next to the Strand and Peninsula bldg's, and it was quiet enough to hear the dolphins surfacing and blowing/exhaling to breathe. It was very quiet, but then it was 6AM too. But then I imagine if you're 10+ floors up you're not going to hear anything anyway.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:01 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,285,752 times
I mean tenant noise. And yes, I probably do have what you would consider an extreme idea of what is noise.

Thanks for your input.

The Strand is high end.

You won't find a bunch of college partiers. I'd expect it to be one of the quiter buildings/complexes in Jax because it's high end and constructed well.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,914,840 times
Quote:
You're a dog walker, right? Probably accustomed to yipping and yapping and so on? I'm a musician with extraordinarily keen hearing. Our noise tolerance level is probably quite different. But you make a lot of good points, especially about owner-inhabited buildings vs tenanted buildings. Thank you.
OK so about tenant noise. Well that's funny you mention it. I inherited perfect pitch from my musician father and the ONLY TIME I ever complained about noise at the Strand was:

1) Some new person was I assumed, playing music above me because all I heard was the boom boom bass so that had to STOP or I'd lose my mind. I never did figure out what he was doing up there.

2) Once they allowed some tenants to have a band on the pool deck for a college graduation. OMG I thought I'd lose my mind it was all afternoon. They never allowed it again and have changed management since then.

Based on your comment I strongly recommend San Marco Place or The Berkman condos if you can find one to rent. That San Marco Place building is built QUIET!! But the Peninsula is more glamorous and better views. San Marco Place can also have some dark-ish units more than Peninsula.

The Berkman has a 24 hr concierge, San Marco Place none. But those people in San Marco Place would NEVER allow noise. There is a property manager too, the last time I checked. Lots of doctors live in the high rises and need their sleep.

San Marco Place is smaller and more controlled than The Peninsula and you're unlikely to have neighbors' balcony noise there, too, wafting into your space. If you get a CORNER unit in the Peninsula you are further away from people and get your own foyer for the elevator to stop in privately. More barriers with the long corner balconies. More than if you're in the middle, for example. I was on call at the Peninsula for a couple people's dogs that barked and the concierge would call me and I usually found that the dog had locked itself out in the foyer and the noise was floating down the elevators. They were renters LOL.

OH, one more thing. Sometimes a helicopter flies by. It happens. It's the city. Not overnight though. There are two party boats under the Peninsula. You will hear them when they start their cruise and come back. IF they have a booking that night. It's before 11 PM I'd say.

Barking dogs in units drive me crazy and if I had some on my floor rest assured I'd be complaining just like everyone else. I have to work on my computer and do phone calls, billing etc all the time so it's not a matter of giving dog noise a free pass. It's a business that takes focus like any other.

One last thing, if you rent in the Peninsula you want to be on the open side that faces wide open water on the right of the building (party boat side) not the side facing the bridge and the Strand and all their balconies. Also, you can do a shorter lease at least in the Strand last time I heard. 7 months or something.

If you can afford it they offer short stays at the Strand too in a couple units and places like Marriott Execustays do too. Ask the rental agents.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-29-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville