Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 10:33 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGTBQStAugustine View Post
In response to your post on Saint Augustine being so gay friendly..... I have lived in the area for 11 years and while St. Augustine is very accepting and accommodating for the LGTBQ+ community, I have not been able to find a place to meet other gay/lesbian adults and hang out. Does anyone know of any bars or bar and grills that have gay/lesbian+ trivia nights or some place that is great for making new friends that are also gay/lesbian+ that is located in St. Augustine?
Sorry the thread went off the rails for you, although not atypical here.

The concept of LGBT bars in general seems to be waning in many cities due to more acceptance in general. St Augustine is a small city however of just 14K, so not really enough to support a bar full-time anyway. I know there are a fair number of LGBT folks living there and find they tend to hang out in restaurant bars in the area. I would suggest The Floridian or The Ice Plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 01:28 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Define "many." Because the right are generally God fearing folks who believe every word of that book should be taken literally, and yes the bible is very much against same sex couples/marriage.
Many liberals believe what you just said, because that's what has been implanted into their brains by the left wing media. Or maybe their parents, teachers, who knows?

Put me down as another gun toting, fishing, whiskey drinking agnostic heterosexual white male who doesn't give a rats a$$ who marries who or whatever. Your outdated stereotypes are stuck in the past which is why you don't get it.

We just want to take care of our families, try to prosper and be happy, and really don't even think about this kind of stuff on a daily basis, until someone like you comes along and tries to shove these generalizations down our throats as if they are bona fide facts set in stone for all eternity.

Your posts say more about yourself than any of us "MAGA deplorable right winger extremists" or whatever funny little label it is your putting on us these days. You're as out of touch with society as the man in the White House is these days. Hilarious!

Old 12-21-2022, 06:20 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Ay yes the "Well I don't believe that and I'm a conservative, therefore that means all conservatives believe the same things that I do" argument that you like to use. Well, you're wrong....again:

"Based upon an evaluation of more than a dozen religious beliefs of liberals and conservatives, consistent and significant differences are evident. Liberals are less than half as likely as conservatives to firmly believe that the Bible is totally accurate in all of the principles it teaches (27% versus 63%, respectively); to strongly believe that Satan is real (17% versus 36%); and to firmly contend that they have a personal responsibility to share their religious beliefs with others (23% versus 48%)."

So yes, Conservatives do believe in God more than Liberals and that means taking the Bible literally. The Bible is against same sex marriage so there you go.

Shocking that you're a gun toting, whiskey drinking, F150 driving guy though.....I always figured you for the martini drinking, Tesla driving, skinny jeans type. Mind BLOWN.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:50 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Ay yes the "Well I don't believe that and I'm a conservative, therefore that means all conservatives believe the same things that I do" argument that you like to use. Well, you're wrong....again:

"Based upon an evaluation of more than a dozen religious beliefs of liberals and conservatives, consistent and significant differences are evident. Liberals are less than half as likely as conservatives to firmly believe that the Bible is totally accurate in all of the principles it teaches (27% versus 63%, respectively); to strongly believe that Satan is real (17% versus 36%); and to firmly contend that they have a personal responsibility to share their religious beliefs with others (23% versus 48%)."

So yes, Conservatives do believe in God more than Liberals and that means taking the Bible literally. The Bible is against same sex marriage so there you go.
…….
The link to the study you are quoting would be a good start if you are trying to make a point.
Only gullible people could be “convinced” that you proved your point.

The reason I ask is that we all know:”there are lies, damned lies and statistics”.

As we are discussing the attitudes towards gays in StAugustine and perhaps Florida in general - if you have specific data (as well as reliable?) - to prove your point- that would be awesome!

We are all ears.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
The link to the study you are quoting would be a good start if you are trying to make a point.
Only gullible people could be “convinced” that you proved your point.

The reason I ask is that we all know:”there are lies, damned lies and statistics”.

As we are discussing the attitudes towards gays in StAugustine and perhaps Florida in general - if you have specific data (as well as reliable?) - to prove your point- that would be awesome!

We are all ears.
Funny how this works. You all can throw out these ridiculous generalizations "ALL MEDIA LIES!" "ELECTION WAS STOLEN!" "LEFTIES RUINING THIS COUNTRY!!" blah blah blah yet the second someone states that Conservatives are, by and large, believers in God the floodgates open and you all seem to lose your minds. Hypocritical much???

How about all of the other people who said that people are generally tolerant of the LGBTQ community? Why aren't you asking for those stats? Oh we all know, because you want to "own the libs".

Last edited by Florida2014; 12-27-2022 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-27-2022, 08:42 AM

Oh and if you want studies, you can Google away yourself but here is a good site:

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion.../conservative/

78% of Conservatives believe in God. And if you say they don't believe everything in the Bible well then I guess they're not actual Christians now are they?

Old 12-27-2022, 09:22 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Oh and if you want studies, you can Google away yourself but here is a good site:

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion.../conservative/

78% of Conservatives believe in God. And if you say they don't believe everything in the Bible well then I guess they're not actual Christians now are they?
Ha-ha! I call your source definitely “the statistics” 1 step above “damned lies”

Bet that you haven’t even read that 8!!! y.o. “research” yourself and HOW they reached the conclusion you say they reached.

Among the 46 pages of the mostly extremely detailed religion affiliations indicators related questions they

allegedly
asked around 12000 people ringing their landlines and cellphones there was only 1 question if they consider themselves conservative.

Was it fiscally conservative?
Was it socially conservative?
We don’t know - they didn’t care to elaborate - which could be more meaningful.

I call BS on this “research” - only insane people would stay on the phone and answer 46 pages of extremely detailed questions about their religious affiliation when there were raised progressing to their religion in present as well as their partners, including their racial and ethnic information, etc

I think the Pew Research Center ( the bias already started here) was fleeced by “research” takers who just filled in that questionnaire themselves with their own bias - were they paid or volunteer? -

Ha-ha!
Go ahead! Time how long would it take you to answer those question and what conclusions could you make, if any? It is a complete gibberish to “analyze” - then ask where to find these 12000 people to do the same.
I don’t think the opinions of insane people who would do this matters.

They even had to stop their ”research” for a while as the questions were confusing; it is just too funny.

Let us know how long it takes you to answer the questions- and it wouldn’t be by phone- so easier

Now imagine that 12K people would agree to waste their time answering 46 pages of detailed questions on their cell phones? - with income ranging from $ 10k to above $300K?
Yeah, right!
I call BigScam on this “research”

Last edited by L00k4ward; 12-27-2022 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-27-2022, 11:26 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Years ago I worked for two lesbians that owned an equestrian center. I worked for them for only a couple of weeks before finding a job in my chosen career (Purchasing/Inventory Management). Both ladies were very nice to me and it was a pleasure working for them.

I also had a co-worker who was a lesbian. Got along with her fine, but she always felt the Director/Supervisor was against her, so she left the Dept. and went back to her previous job.

My wife and I have a great niece that is a lesbian, but, before meeting the girl that she is now married to, she had been married to a male. One time, while at home on Leave from the Army, she revealed to her mom that she was bi-sexual. My wife's sister, who is the grandmother, is very, very "Christian" related, but because it's her granddaughter, she bypasses the Christian/Bible beliefs and accepts her. Wife and I don't and that's fine with my wife's sister and the great niece.

As for what Florida 2014 states, I do believe in what she says and so does my wife.

One thing for the GLBTQ community to remember, not everyone in society is going to accept you. We found out, when up in Wyoming, that Cody was going to start holding a Pride Parade, but the straight citizens wouldn't back it. Any gays or lesbians that lived there, moved out.

For the 10 1/2 years we lived in Jacksonville, Florida's south end aka Southside, there was only one lesbian couple that lived at our complex. Problem was, numerous residents complained about seeing them show each other affection. Short time after complaints started rolling in, they moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville