Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,262 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking to relocate to NE Florida within the next year or two. I am hoping to find some helpful opinions about what area I should focus on.
I am married with two sons. One is going to college next year, the other will be a junior in high school.

My areas of interest are as follows:
Quiet laid back community. I like small town atmosphere's, and that is what we are used to.

Coastal community, with ocean view or ocean front property that is available in the 300k to 600k range. Oceanview property is a high priority, but would settle if needed without a view for just a very short walk to the beach. I am considering a small single family home, or townhouse/condo. Just no highrise type condo.

If we were to move before my younger son graduates I would like to be near a top rated school with a high ranking athletics department if possible.

We are self employed and work from home so we would not need to worry about commuting, but we would like to be close to convenient things such as grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

We are both pushing 40 years old, and would like to find an area that we would enjoy as we age as well. I have looked at Atlantic beach, Neptune, Jax, Ponte vedra, and St Augustine. I like St augustine beach area, closer to Butler beach. I do not like the touristy town of St Augustine though. We are also drawn to Ponte Vedra, but I do not play golf, lol. The other areas I mentioned I like as well, Im just not sure where I need to focus my search.

I appreciate any feedback you folks may have to offer.
Thanks
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 PM

336 posts, read 450,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericj88 View Post
Hello,
I am looking to relocate to NE Florida within the next year or two. I am hoping to find some helpful opinions about what area I should focus on.
I am married with two sons. One is going to college next year, the other will be a junior in high school.

Quiet laid back community. I like small town atmosphere's, and that is what we are used to.

Coastal community, with ocean view or ocean front property that is available in the 300k to 600k range. Oceanview property is a high priority, but would settle if needed without a view for just a very short walk to the beach. I am considering a small single family home, or townhouse/condo. Just no highrise type condo.

If we were to move before my younger son graduates I would like to be near a top rated school with a high ranking athletics department if possible.

We are self employed and work from home so we would not need to worry about commuting, but we would like to be close to convenient things such as grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

We are both pushing 40 years old, and would like to find an area that we would enjoy as we age as well. I have looked at Atlantic beach, Neptune, Jax, Ponte vedra, and St Augustine. I like St augustine beach area, closer to Butler beach. I do not like the touristy town of St Augustine though. We are also drawn to Ponte Vedra, but I do not play golf, lol. The other areas I mentioned I like as well, Im just not sure where I need to focus my search.

Thanks
Eric

My feedback is to use the search function first. Then, come back with any questions you might still have.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
My feedback is to use the search function first. Then, come back with any questions you might still have.
Well...I appreciate your reply blue man.

I have searched this forum many times in the past 6 months before even joining, let alone after joining and searching for something that relates to my situation even remotely close within the past year or so.
Found some info from 2006, but what I find is usually those moving to the area with young children looking for safe neighborhoods etc.
If my question is somehow disturbing?... then please dont respond. I have searched this forum extensively, more so before joining through google.
If you feel like you have answered this same exact question a hundred times, then please overlook my post. Im just looking for some help from those in the area.

Any helpful feedback is greatly appreciated from the folks here.
Thanks

Last edited by Ericj88; 12-21-2012 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Said too much

Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 AM

448 posts, read 830,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericj88 View Post
Hello,

Thanks
Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
My feedback is that the search functions on City-Data are pretty weak. Yes look through all the posts that are fairly close to what your looking for, but as far as specifics are concerned you can't beat asking a direct question and reading all the cognizant replies.

As per your question, I feel that you should look into either the Ponte Vedra (PVB) or Fernandina Beach (FB) areas for the following reasons
1. - They both have nice homes in your price range $300-600,000 not just on golf courses.
2. - They are both coastal, FB's coastal areas are easier to access than PVB's are.
3. - They both have excellent A rated school systems, St Johns county, (PVB) is ranked #1 in the state. Nassau county (FB) is ranked #14. I believe by contrast Jax. is ranked #57 out of 67 counties overall in FL.
4. - They both are smaller town type environments, with FB being an actual small town. You don't get that smaller town vibe at all in PVB. As almost everyone living here moved here from somewhere else, including me.
5. - Both have several non high rise condo complexes/associations available. Although I have no idea what they cost as I haven't looked at any local real estate since I bought my place here.

I reside in Ponte Vedra Beach, I moved here for the golf 25 years ago before Fernandina went through it's golf course building boom. Otherwise I may have moved there instead. Maybe you should consider taking up golf because at our ages its the best exercise you and your spouse can get (if you walk and don't ride) together.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 AM

5,243 posts, read 6,167,545 times
I will second everything the above poster has said.....I would do a search on Fernandina Beach on here.

Last year I believe was our real-estate bottom and there were homes on the beach for 600k and change. That is definitely doable across the street from the beach with views now. There seems to be a significant uptick in sales though and I am seeing a lot of complete renovations on both sides of the road now. I am talking about tearing down to plywood on the outside and studs in the inside and homes along the beach seem to be moving quicker, so people must be getting deals to spend that kind of money on renovation.

Here is a link for high school sports in Fernandina Beach, I think FB has all the other criteria you want, although as I have mentioned in the past.....specialized medical and more asortment of shopping are available in Jacksonville which would be 45 minutes away.

http://www.edline.net/pages/Fernandi..._School/Sports

Good luck and welcome to the forum. JB

Last edited by JBtwinz; 12-21-2012 at 07:06 AM..

Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,637,237 times
I agree with all the above but would add do not overlook the areas of Crescent Beach and also Anastasia Island
When the tourist are here in droves just avoid downtown otherwise the downtown is a positive attraction to living here That coupled with cheaper houses than the Ponte Vedra area and the relatively younger crowd here I would pick the beaches over the golfing communities
One sub division you may look at is Sea Colony a gated ocean front small mixed community located south on Anastasia Island just before Dondaville Beach

Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 AM

294 posts, read 341,221 times
Recently moved from NY. Atlantic Beach is the best area IMO. Beach community with excellent housing opportunities and very close to all you mentioned. Seens quiet and safe everytime I run or bike through. Nice parks. If I had your budget that is where I would be; Neptune Beach is good for now!

Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 PM

48 posts, read 168,019 times
I second what WilliamWebb49 said. I've lived in the Jax area since 1971, though only in a beach community for a couple of years in the mid-90s(South Jax Beach). I'd suggest looking into Fernandina Beach as well, it's got a small town atmosphere too.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:32 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,285,752 times
Atlanic Beach is the best beach area in North Florida, hands down.

Neighborhoods: Atlantic Beach | Metro Jacksonville

They have a walkable comemricial district right on the beach that's A+ as well.

If you actually want a small town/community, and not just the feel, then Fernandina Beach would be your best bet.

Here's a pictorial of their main commerical area, the historic downtown, which is also very walkable and quaint. It is, however, somewhat touristy.

Historic Downtown Fernandina Beach | Metro Jacksonville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville