Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:19 PM

46 posts, read 195,099 times

Advertisements

Hiiiiiii,

Would like some thoughts on this......would the southside be a good place to start a retail business? If not where would be???? It would have to be an area with lotsssss of kids. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,614,787 times
Plenty of families on the Southside and the demographics must be good (incomes, etc.) if the developers decided to locate an upscale shopping center there (SJTC).

There are stores galore on the Southside, so I'd be choosy in finding your location - lots of competition out there in retail.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM

95 posts, read 325,505 times
*Bump*

I would like to start a small business like a candy store or bakery as a side business, so essentially, I have the same question that was originally posted. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlenerdy View Post
*Bump*

I would like to start a small business like a candy store or bakery as a side business, so essentially, I have the same question that was originally posted. Any ideas?

Thanks!
As in where to locate? For retail, I think you need to be where the people are. Now, more than ever (gas prices), people don't want to drive a distance to get to much of anything...you have to have something really special to be "a destination", otherwise, locate your self in a well-travelled area.

There's my 2 cents!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
As in where to locate? For retail, I think you need to be where the people are. Now, more than ever (gas prices), people don't want to drive a distance to get to much of anything...you have to have something really special to be "a destination", otherwise, locate your self in a well-travelled area.

There's my 2 cents!
So does the nature of the business really matter?

I love the idea of a candy museum, too. I've been doing a little homework, and it looks like they're aren't very many candy museums in the US.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlenerdy View Post
So does the nature of the business really matter?

I love the idea of a candy museum, too. I've been doing a little homework, and it looks like they're aren't very many candy museums in the US.
That's an interesting hook - a candy museum - I like it! The only downside is that you'd have to dedicate square footage to a display that you would not be selling .

Have you ever seen Dylan Lauren's (Ralph Lauren's daughter) candy shop?

Dylan's Candy Bar

She caters to the Gen X crowd (amongst others) and our candy nostalgia.

You should do what you love! Are you passionate about candy? If so, then you increase you chances of success...you need to love what you do in a small business .

Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That's an interesting hook - a candy museum - I like it! The only downside is that you'd have to dedicate square footage to a display that you would not be selling .

Have you ever seen Dylan Lauren's (Ralph Lauren's daughter) candy shop?

Dylan's Candy Bar

She caters to the Gen X crowd (amongst others) and our candy nostalgia.

You should do what you love! Are you passionate about candy? If so, then you increase you chances of success...you need to love what you do in a small business .
That's tough competition! I didn't even realize that was Ralph Lauren's daughter. I actually came across her store while doing my homework. Good thing I'm not considering Orlando...

I'm passionate about sweets. I love them for two reasons: they taste good and they're so pretty. To be honest, I find them infatuating. I'll just have to limit my intake if this idea gets off the ground.

I graduate pharmacy school in 2010. My SO and I really love Florida, so we would like to move there. Jacksonville is one of the "where we need you areas" for Walgreens (the company that I work for). If all goes well, I should have enough start-up capital from working full-time for a year or so as a pharmacist. My SO could help out with financing for the shop if that becomes necessary, but I think I could take care of the financing part on my own. (His niche is in electrical by the way.) After opening up shop, I would probably drop back and work part-time as a pharmacist. Hopefully I can find good store managers.

My goal would be to make the museum adjacent to a gift shop. The attraction would be the museum, but the majority of the profits would come from candy sales. With the right layout, I think I might be able to pull in regular customers with some sort of bypass around the museum.

What do you think? Should I consider beachfront property, a downtown, historic shopping area, property near another museum, a retail mecca, or ????

Thanks so much for your help!!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 AM

859 posts, read 3,635,675 times
If you been to St Augustine, there are a couple candy stores at the heart of tourist street. Seems to do well since it's a high foot traffic are.

In Jax it would have to be in a mall. And generic candy store can be a hard sell in current health conscious market. Everyone's marketing green, organic, low fat, etc. Got to be unique here.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 AM

702 posts, read 2,196,107 times
Regency already has on across from the food court, the name eludes me. Does the Town Center (St. Johns), have one yet?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
Regency already has on across from the food court, the name eludes me. Does the Town Center (St. Johns), have one yet?
No candy store that I know of at SJTC, but there are a couple of ice cream/chocolate/yogurt shops, one of them being locally-owned:

Chocolates from Peterbrooke Chocolatier - gourmet milk, dark, white chocolate candy - online shopping (http://www.peterbrooke.com/index.htm - broken link)

So one idea, Alittlenerdy, is to take a look at what Peterbrooke has done, they've been very successful in Jax. They have a few different locations, one being in the SJTC. We have a couple of locally-owned businesses that have shops in the SJTC, so that's always one possible location.

Travellingfood mentioned St. Augustine, which would be a great high traffic tourist location. Outside of the tourist area, in a residential part of St. Augustine is another chocolate factory that's been around for years and they offer free factory tours to bring in a crowd:

Welcome to Whetstone Chocolates • St. Augustine, Florida

And whenever you next come to visit, be sure to do a wine-tasting tour at San Sebastian, a local winery in St. Augustine. They have an interesting business concept - along with the typical wine tasting tours, they have a sucessful art & wine show they do each year:

Welcome to San Sebastian Winery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville